1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official "Should we be worried about DeMeco Ryans?" thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by v3.0, Oct 23, 2011.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

0 total tackles today from your starting ILB and team captain?

When do we stop giving him the "he's still injured" excuse and start thinking maybe he's not fitting in well in the new Wade Phillips defense (as the 610 crew alluded to after the game)?

For the record I pull for DeMeco cause he's one of those humble good guys, just like AJ. I hope he turns it around as the season continues. But if not, we may start entertaining the thought of using a high draft pick on another LB, Cushing can't be Juice Cushing every week.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You got to give the guy another year. It typically takes over a year to fully heal from the type of injury he had.

If his play stays the same the following year we got to cut him.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

His injury was pretty severe and a lot of the "medical opinions" that were given said he would take more than a year to get back, if ever. He's been slow laterally since pre-season. I think it is possible that he never gets back to being what he was.

He's another guy we may be looking at cutting or restructuring after the season. Football is such an unforgiving sport.

1 person likes this.
  4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think maybe they swap the roles of Cush and Demeco. Cushing will have more sideline to sideline duties and have Demeco attack the LOS more, where he won't have to move laterally as much.

He definitely looked slow trying to chase down Ringer.

1 person likes this.
  5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. M.A. Dub

M.A. Dub Member

Demeco was doing a lot of pass coverage and based on how many yards they had receiving I think he did a fine job.

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You're kidding right?

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Kidding about the 0 across the board stat for DeMeco today? Look it up for yourself.

Right now it seems him and Sharpton are platooning the RILB, even Sharpton managed 3 tackles.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If we gave Dushing another year to prove he was legit ( which he is) why not give that to DeMeco?

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Of course give him the year. But something to keep an eye on throughout the season.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If we have someone on the bench that can play better than DeMeco, then that person should be playing now. Before his injury it seemed like he was flying all over the field, getting involved in tons of plays, now we hardly know he is on the field. I know we are running a different defense, and I haven't done any in depth analysis of his play, but I just don't see him making plays.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

13. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

If the defense was playing bad, yes I would worry because he's suppose to be a main cog but as a unit the defense has been pretty good especially the front 7. He might not have showed up in the stat sheet but he's made plays all year. He's not up to the pre-injury Demeco level yet but the way we shut out the Titans and how statistically improved our defense is, it points to signs that guys are doing their jobs including him.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Titans had 48 plays to the Texans 70. Our highest tackler today was Cushing with 6. I'm not worried about 0 tackles. Especially when their run game was getting disrupted behind the line of scrimmage all day. Does anyone not remember him jumping Flacco's snap last week? He gets a pass this year.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think he's still recovering.

16. liljojo

liljojo Member

Umm...we can take away the "he's still injured" excuse when he's fully recovered? Makes sense to me.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Seriously - we as fans tend to grossly underplay the long term effects of major, career-altering injuries when they happen and expect our guys to simply get over them and return 100% each time....and heap blame and scorn on them when they don't.

Ryans may never regain his original quickness and burst, efforts notwithstanding. I'm not going to get down on him over it, I'm going to be happy he was able to retake a starting position at all.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Cut him now, and put that hungry, Miami boy in there....

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

N.D. Kalu said that Demeco is being phased out and is sitting out for much of the game. That he's a very good player, but not a fit in a 3-4. Suggested that he probably wouldn't be with the team next year.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I heard that too, but I'm a little skeptical. Demeco is a smart player, with great vision and lateral speed*. That kind of player should be a good MLB in a 4-3, 3-4, 4-2-5, 4-4, 50, whatever. It seems like Cushing is a natural for the 3-4, and Demeco might not be, but there's nothing in Demeco's game that suggests he couldn't make it work.

* - He did have great lateral speed. I'm not sure that's true anymore. Maybe it's gone forever, maybe it'll come back. Either way, this new reduced Demeco Ryans is still a legit NFL starter. If it comes back, he'll be back to the guy who's in on every play.