1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official...Scola signed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rpr52121, Jul 15, 2007.

1. conquistador#11

his defense is pretty good, light years above Juan's(as some would call him)
    his flight leaves from argentina..... martes, that's tomorrow according to radio formula. who can go to the airport on my behalf? :p

2. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't international play, particularly Euroball, more physical than the NBA?

If I remember the 2004 Olympics correctly, there was a lot of pushing, shoving, elbows and general rough play that wasn't called. I remember sportswriters citing the physical play/non-foul calls as one of the reasons team USA had trouble adjusting to international style ball.

Am I remembering this right or is this crazy talk?

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Awesome...I like what we're doing...I can't wait for next year...Still need a PG...oh wait...

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

if scola is a young juwan howard, does that mean he steals video games instead of sunglasses?

5. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Nobdy said it was our powerhouse position, we just wanted a capable body at the position. Scola is a different kind of rookie, because he has already seen NBA talent and has played against it and his confidence level is high because of success internationally...He is also 27, which means he is in his prime.

So excuse the excitment, but we got our guy! He has the chance to do so much more than V-Span could ever be allowed to do with our organization other than pissing on it!

6. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

quoting myself :p
    okay so it looks like i'm not hallucinating:
    So maybe in terms of physical play, Scola won't have much of an adjustment to make. On the other hand, I'm thinking it WILL take him a while to adjust to the superior athleticism in the NBA.

7. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

backtracking
    :confused: maybe i'm confusing "Euroleague" with "International Ball."

8. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

If someone tries to steal his pizza and he calls them a dick he will be known as the SpiCola.

#68 Texas Stoke, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  9. hooroo

hooroo Member

It is supposedly, to help with his buyout situation.

With 8% increases, it could start under 2.7M, or since it's front-loaded over 3.3M.

This leaves under 2M to sign another free agent or using a quarter of that to give Landry a contract longer than 2 years.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/13691492/detail.html

Scola Set To Arrive, Introduced Tuesday

POSTED: 4:05 pm CDT July 16, 2007

HOUSTON, TEXAS -- To steal a line David Beckham's hype, new Rocket Luis Scola is "Coming to America'. Scola, who agreed to a new contract worth at least 9 million dollars over the weekend will board a flight late tonight in Buenes Aires, fly overnight and land at 6:30am Tuesday morning.

Scola, who will stay in Houston for nearly two weeks, will get some rest and then be introduced at a 2pm news conference Tuesday at Toyota Center.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey told KPRC Local 2 Sports, " Luis is a very good fit for us and now more than ever is ready for the NBA." Scola is a 6-9 Power Forward who had been the property of the Spurs prior to the trade that brought him to Houston last week.

Full coverage of Scola's news conference Tuesday on Local 2 Sports at 6 and 10 as well as click2houston.com's sports page and video on demand.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Hola Scola!

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Or Skol! Scola. Or do we get Diet Scola?

13. uchlha

uchlha Member

no thats bart simpson

14. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

Isn't always one spot our weakpoint; if it's not the PF position, wouldn't another position became the weakspot? I think it's ok to have a weakspot, since every other team has a weakspot in some kind of ways as well. But maybe I am just an optimistic person :D

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No, you are dead on...

We just want our weak spot to be more like the one in this picture...

[​IMG]

Instead of this picture...

[​IMG]

16. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

I know the some things were lost in translation but in light of the other news (i.e.: Scola NOT signed)--shouldn't this thread title be changed? :confused:

Guess we'll all hear more at 2...

17. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Too many weak spot here....
    the starting PG is oversize, and too slow...
    the back up PG is undersize...
    the starting SF cannot jump...
    the backup PF is too short.....
    the starting SG is.... is..... :confused:
    and the starting center got schooled by Dream... :D

18. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

wait...you want our weakspot to be...christian laettner?

as opposed to a short white guy I guess?