1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official...Scola signed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rpr52121, Jul 15, 2007.

1. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

sweet...next splash?

2. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Great addition to the roster! Thanks Morey, now i can sleep better! :D

3. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

Harris is a SF not a PF! He played SF in the NBDL last year and he is playing SF in the summer league.

4. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

you guys are getting a little too overly excited about this guy wait and see what he can do first

5. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Scola "I will be T-Mac on the Rockets"

T-Mac "Scola, give me my jersey back. You have your own now"

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I wouldn't be so quick is say Scola starts, or is better than, Hayes. For all we know Scola will be foul prone and play limited defense.

I would like to sign PJ Brown for the rest of the MLE or trade for another PF. Hayes we really only want to play 20MPG, Scola could be limited to 20MPG or less (just have to see), I want another guy who can give us minutes.

Way too soon to say we have the PF covered, or is even better than last year with Hayes/Howard.

7. rserina

rserina Member

I think Hayes opens the season as the starter, but will give way to Scola should prove ready to play (and, from everything I've read, there is no reason to think he won't be ready to play). Hayes will be even more effective bringing his energy off the bench, while I also think the additional space around the rim when Yao is in the high-post will fit with his offensive game a little better.

8. Omer

Omer Member

I believe Hayes is a solid backup PF option, hopefully Scola is better than Hayes and will start and we will be fine next season.

9. Chopped

Chopped Member

any word if scola will be playing in any summer league games?

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Since today is the last day for summer games. I believe that is a negatory.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Is it to early to start the "trade Scola" posts yet? ;)

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

I noticed that quote is similiar or the same to this one.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4967808.html
    "Luis is healthy," Morey said. "He played all the games with Tau down the stretch last year and in the playoffs. The doctors found no issues."

Chron still haven't reported it and both Morey and Feigen are in Vegas.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think expectations are way too high for Scola in terms of this year. He has a major transition. Ginobili didn't start. Nocioni, Nene and Verjao was up and down their 1st years. Oberto was a total nonfactor his 1st year. Let's not even bring up bombs like V Span or Jasikevicius. Very few rookies, no matter what their non-NBA seasoning, come in and are solid starters right away.

If Scola can give us 20-24 quality minutes that would be great. It could be less and I'd like a fall back (PJ, Donyell) player who can give you 15-20 quality minutes instead of asking more of Hayes.

Sign PJ for the rest of the MLE or trade expiring contracts (Sura/Snyder)/= and or tail end players (JL3, Novak) for Donyell. I would feel much better about Hayes-Scola-Brown/Donyell, if Brown/Donyell got no PT because of Scola that would be great but at least we have a fall back..

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

that's a negative ghostrider...

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Are you serious? Juwan was one of the worst players in the NBA at the end of last season and against the Jazz. Scola has a big adjustment in front of him but he's already better than Juwan.

16. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

This is a great news!!
    Can't wait to see his performance on the NBA court!! ;)

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You can say that about any team picking up a new player, whether it's a free agent or draft. It's ridiculous not to get excited about something that is positive about the team. What do you want people to do, just blow it off and not post anything?

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

agree. by all accounts, Scola is not that good defensively. I'm not sure how the Yao and Scola combo is going to work defensively. How many rebounds and points are they gonna give up per game? :(

19. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Statistically, Juwan was a lousy PF on both ends of the court. In 2005-2006, he was the starter for 80 games, while shooting inefficiently, rebounding poorly, playing subpar defense, and blocking less shots than a lot of PGs. The Rockets were still among the better defensive teams in the league, ranking #8 in defensive efficiency (they were horrible because they were #29 in offense, due in large part to the injuries suffered by both stars).

That was before Battier, a known excellent defender, was acquired. I'm not worried about the defense. If Scola plays up to expectations, this could end up being a great trade.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I understand your caution. But Scola is not an unknown. He has proven talent. Ginobili was largely regarded as the best Argentine player when he was drafted. It took him a while to adjust. But there was no doubt in the Spurs' mind that he would be good.

I think Scola is the same. There is no reason not to play him significant minutes even if he is still adjusting. He can split the time with Hayes. And if Landry pans out, he can become the Hayes with a better offensive game.

I don't mind renting a veteran PF for a year. Even that, are we going to be a contender this year? I am content to wait one more season to develop the core of this team. Hopefully if Brooks is as good as he is playing in the SL, we have a very bright future: Brooks/McGrady/Battier/Scola/Yao.