1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Romney is the Moneyball Choice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Major

Major Member

It's funny that he had those libertarian views on zoning until confronted with the real world impacts of those views, and then immediately changed his mind.

1 person likes this.
  2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Yes, we are definitely suffering from a plague of passion in our modern politics! It's awful! We need more apathy! And moderates! We need more moderates that don't even care how the center has moved but just want to be in the middle of whatever it is because they like being in the middle of a thing. But I don't have to persuade you of that, rocketsjudoka.

I agree though: there is way too much caring about things in politics these days. It's totally distasteful.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

At least he's a guy who can admit when he was wrong and adjust his views accordingly.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Check your assumptions.

5. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

See that's so hypocritical... I'd support no government intervention unless it benefits my point of view :(

I still like Morey, but that's what's wrong with Republican platform. I can be behind less government if they actually do some things like legalize weed (and tax it), decriminalize drug trade (reason so many YOUTHS are behind bars and stuck in a bad cycle), get the heck out of gay marriage, legalize gambling, prostitution (once again, tax it), and stop giving a damn about abortions. Also let people decide if their tax dollars should go to education, social welfare, arts, and/or military, much how we chose our stock portfolios :D.

This post was probably a little reactionary, and I might not want all those things to happen (haven't thought through the consequence), but if you're don't want government, take it out and don't pick and choose.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Passion and dickery aren't generally interchangeable terms

7. Commodore

Morey's views on the CBA are similar.

No restrictions other than a hard cap and rookie wage scale.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is such a thing as passion and there is such a thing as spite. Paul Wellstone was incredibly passionate but he wasn't spiteful towards those he didn't agree with and from people who knew Wellstone personally he wouldn't call political opponents assholes. Jason Lewis who used to host a right wing talk radio show in Minnesota always spoke very highly about how friendly and respectful Wellstone treated him even though his political positions were diametrically opposed to Wellstone's.

You can be passionate without calling others "*******" or being one yourself.

#28 rocketsjudoka, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  9. Batman Jones

Why this obsession with calling someone an *******.

Karl Malone is an *******. Does the saying of that make me one?

And while I admired Sen. Wellstone as much as anyone, I hardly think I'm obligated to live up to his standard of good conduct.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Is this Chick-Fil-A Part Deux? Now we have to check their political alignment before choosing a basketball team to root for?

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Look at the bright side. You won't get assassina....er, die in an accidental plane crash.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

13. Major

Major Member

How far do you take this? Will you avoid all places with Romney supporters? Chances are, there's probably someone in a leadership position of just about anywhere you go that probably supports Romney, given that about half the people in the country do so.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Since this is the D&D, I'll point out that he would fall within the minarchist camp of libertarians (the other camp being anarchists). As such, he is bound to have incoherent political positions.

"The idea of a strictly limited constitutional State was a noble experiment that failed, even under the most favorable and propitious circumstances. If it failed then, why should a similar experiment fare any better now? No, it is the conservative laissez-fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, “Limit yourself”; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."

-Murray N. Rothbard, For a New Liberty

Also, I find it somewhat depressing that anyone with the Rockets would donate to either of these campaigns. But democracy is all about using the state apparatus to benefit your group at the expense of other groups, so I guess a lot of people participate simply because they prefer to be the shafters to the shaftees.

15. Batman Jones

I was sick of Morey already and I have been deeply offended by Les's treatment of outgoing coaches, whom I had grown to love as a matter of rooting for our team. He could have been respectful toward outgoing coaches in good standing with the org but he wasn't. Thrice. I've been bleeding enthusiasm for this team for a long time.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I have very close friends that are gay and I have very close friends that are women. I even have one close friend in the military (a Democrat of course) who could be called up to fight in another unjust war. This is serious to me.

I don't go seeking out Republicans in order to boycott them. I'm not boycotting anything or anyone presently. (I'm vegan so as appalled as I am by Chik-fil-A, I didn't spend money there anyway.)

But I do think it's sort of my right to say, okay, that's enough, I've had it. If the general manager of my home team is giving money that will, if Romney is successful, lead to an extreme and extremist move backwards with regard to gay rights and women's rights, I can't have fun rooting for his team.

Is that okay with everyone here? Because I really didn't say anyone else should do the same, so I'm really confused by all the hand-wringing over my expression of (only the latest reason for) my distaste for Morey and for the organization in general.

It doesn't mean I'll stop watching Rockets basketball from time to time; it means I won't care if they win or lose. They were special to me and now they're not. A lot of factors contribute to that, but I readily admit this is the one about which I am most passionate. Morey for Romney = Batman against Morey.

I'm one guy. What's the big deal?

And by the way, feel absolutely free, all of you, to call me an idiot or an ******* for holding this opinion or for any other opinion or behavior. I care about substantive things; I don't really care about semantics.

1 person likes this.
  16. Commodore

You're overrating how much people care about your opinion (or anyone else's for that matter).

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. This (in the OP) is not at all surprising to me. Why do you think Morey moved to TX from MA? Because the Rockets are so great, or because they offered a buttload of money, relatively low pressure, and no income tax. Um...

2. You go, Batman, in terms of where you spend your money and time. My only input is that it might be hard to find a sports team to root for, if political donations are your criterion. :(

18. Batman Jones

Who are you again?

19. Commodore

nobody, that's my point

20. Batman Jones

It wasn't always this way, but I care a whole hell of a lot more about politics these days than I do about finding a sports team to root for.

The GOP has gone to war with gays, women, blacks (trying to prevent them from voting), and 99% of this country, many of whom are suffering. Morey has demonstrated his support for all those things. So...

**** Morey and if need be **** basketball. I care a whole lot more about civil rights than who can put the ball in the hole.

1 person likes this.