1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockies @ Astros and Astros @ Rockies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by crose, Jun 15, 2015.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he was just messing with you

I'm glad they got him some work in the 8th of a game like this. 3 run lead, so it's not a blowout / don't care game...but it also wasn't a 1 run game where a mistake kills you. Bringing his confidence back hopefully

2. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I like Altuve hitting third, he will have guys on base, so he should get a lot of RBI's hitting .290-.300

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Correa Altuve and Springer make up a great core.

4. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

That is what i don't like about Altuve, he swung at ball 4, instead of men on first and second, for Gatiis, he hits a weak ground ball to SS. To hit 1st or 2nd, his OBP NEEDS to get higher, into the .350 range, and the only way he can achieve that is by hitting over .310. He is NOT a smart hitter. Now, he could be good in a spot in the lineup where he could drive runs, but i prefer Springer and Correa 1 and 2.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I am not as high on Altuve, i do like Tucker and Santana

6. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Today's MVP Valbuena, and bullpen did a great job.

Goooo Astrossssssssss

Good to see Santana get his first hit in the majors, and another great game by Correa, 2 hits plus a great defensive play at SS.

I like Conger, i would like to see him catch a little bit more, at least twice a week.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Knee jerk much?

8. Buck Turgidson

People pissed and b****ed and moaned nonstop the last time they fired Ashby, like he was some sort of civic landmark or something.

How he got his job back, I have no idea.

9. The Beard

The Beard Member

In general, people always complain about announcers

If they aren't saying exactly what you are thinking, you disagree and don't like them

It kind of amazes me how much hatred there is on CF over a dang announcer

I know it shouldn't amaze me though

10. Buck Turgidson

I'm sorry, but Alan Ashby is a terribly ****ty baseball announcer.

11. leroy

leroy Member

You're mostly right but Ashby is just bad at his job. He's not a good color guy and he's an even worse PBP. Hopefully they'll move on after this season. I dread the thought that he takes over PBP full time once Brown retires.

There's also a guy in central Texas that would be a perfect replacement for Brown. Mike Capps calls the Round Rock games. He's about as good as it gets.

12. Nick

Nick Member

Did they really? I know some never liked Dolan and Raymond, but both were instant improvements over Ashby.

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

the problem with Ashby is that he is following what i believe was a great tv/radio guy in Jim Deshaise. Also, Dierker was good.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Granted, he is following two great announcers in Dierker and Deshaies, but that does not excuse how bad he is.

15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

I liked Vince Cotroneo.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

VV needs to get the walks under control, but is looking good. Suspect he'll need some time to work out preventing as much hard contact.

17. Buck Turgidson

Yes, people made a big deal out of it.

18. Nick

Nick Member

Hmm... had to go back and do a thread search. I found the one about him being fired... certainly was some dissent, but definitely could have been worse (and kudos to you holding your same opinion... "he was awful on radio!").

I said I was going to miss "what's in Ash's pocket"... which was a very fun segment (probably more because of how good JD was).

What's more interesting is to read the thread about him being re-hired... as it does feature several prominent posters here who were "rejoicing" at the news (including some here badmouthing him).

Not going to name names... people can go find the thread for themselves.

In conclusion... Ashby is awful.

19. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Member

Rangers win again against the Dodgers...what was the consensus on this team? Are they for real or just catching a really lucky streak, hopefully to fizzle out soon?

20. Nick

Nick Member

Fangraphs still has them only at an 8% chance to win the division (Mariners are actually higher)... so they're expected to fizzle if you go by "expected" performance.