1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

OFFICIAL: Rockets land Dwight Howard!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 5, 2013.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm really sick of all the D12 haters telling me **** like 'the Rockets will never win a ring because Dwight is not a winner and doesn't have killer instinct'. Stuff like that is so BS to me. That is just brainless people listening to what ESPN and Skip Bayless have to tell them. They can never keep the talk about actual basketball, just generalities like that. They never talk about stats (except Dwight isn't a top scorer in league, how is he a superstar?), skills, fit offensively.

They say **** like "if Dwight can figure out how to be a winner like Lebron then maybe Rockets can have a chance." The biggest difference between Lebron his first year with Heat and 2nd and 3rd is that he got better. He grew more efficient, improved defensively, and him and his teammates grew better chemistry together. Lebron won those rings because he was the best player in the league and had a great team, not because "he finally got a clutch gene" or "finally got a winner's mentality" or "the killer instinct". So annoying :mad:

2. Rocketfanatic2

I agree, it pains him to see that Howard is leaving a team on the decline for one on the rise.

3. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

I can't wait till tix go on sale.

4. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

What if TC turned up half empty again?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The best way to shut up whiny, disappointed, LA Laker apologists like Shaq is to win. Win, and shove it down his throat.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

True. Win and shut them all up

Dwight is taking on a bigger challenge by leaving than staying. He is truly making the bold choice.

Lets hope for our sake it works out

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Well...hope we got the "good" Dwight and not the crappy one from the last two years.

If he wants to learn from the best, he has two of the all time best in McHale and Dream.

I just worry...this guy...doesn't seem like he is consumed by a fire that burns inside and screams championship or my legacy as a big man...I don't know. But the move had to be made.

If he is the better version of Dikembe Mutombo like he was in Orlando...awesome. Title contenders right away.

Lets see what happens. But I am all in for the move. Morey finally gave up the marketing and actually concentrated on building a team finally.

By the way, get ridda Lin. He is Matt Maloney and PG's are going to eat his lunch. If its Howard, the Beard and Josh Smith, we need defense and ball handling at the PG spot.

That ain't Lin. Never was. Never will be. Thats that marketing job Morey was into before he let it go to focus on actually building a team.

1 person likes this.
  8. Awesome

Awesome Member

Dude Josh Smith is a Piston now

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I didn't figure this out on my own. I read Bima's stuff most of which I already knew but I didn't know the exceptions counted also as cap space and when we released Garcia and made him a free agent that was enough to get us over the 58.5 mil cap. As long as we remain over that then doing a Sign and trade that would keep us over that would allow us to retain or MLE and BAE. Trading Garcia either directly to LA or in a multi team deal that got us back Howard and kept us over the cap would work.

However once the Rockets signed Garcia that was all put to an end. We now have to release Anderson and Ohlbrecht before we sign Howard. (maybe only one of them) And all the deals that are being talked about can not be consummated until after Howard is signed. Which is on the 10th anyway so just complete Howards deal and then complete Garcia and Casspi.

The only two problems I see with all of this is we are lacking any extra money to sign Canaan for more than the minimum. Which is bad because I think he is a talent. I really like this Kostas kid but I wouldn't even bring him over this year because he has some buyout issues and are very limited in helping him. These are reasons I wanted the MLE and BAE. But we got Garcia which was great. And we got Casspi which feels Delfino's spot. I know many people love Delfino but Casspi overall is very similar and comes with a little more size. So all of this works out great. If we don't sign Kostas we will have 13 players under contract.

I still wish we could clear up a mil for Canaan but I am positive Morey is working on that. He may only need half a mil if you calculate the numbers and consider Canaan's spot is already consuming 490, 000 as an empty roster spot. All we need to do is clear anther 400,000 or more. When the true numbers come up we might already have that if we release Anderson and Ohlbrecht. If that happens than I will be a very happy camper and couldn't have asked for more. But I am sure Morey will deliver more. Does he still have a 2.6 million room exception. Antawn Jamison anyone? How about Chauncey Billups. Maybe even Elton Brand. Morey is not completely finished but close.

10. texanrocket1989

Check wat Shaq said about Dwight comin to Houston
    ("It was expected," Shaq said. "We've all been in LA, and not a whole lot of people can handle being under the bright lights. Everybody wants to do it, but when you get there, there are certain pressures. I think it was a safe move for him to go to a little town like Houston. That's right, little town. I said it.") F&^% you Shaq, ur not Welcome in Houston

11. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>&quot;I think it's a safe move for him to go to a little town like Houston.&quot; - Shaq on Dwight Howard's decision to sign w/ Rockets.</p>&mdash; SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/statuses/353619800905359361">July 6, 2013</a></blockquote>

Someone's still butthurt about 1995...

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

Shaq's a clown. Always has been, always will be. I'm sure he didn't really mean it like that, he must like the city or otherwise he wouldn't have a home here unless I'm wrong about that.

Also, I hope the Rockets can somehow calm Dwight during the season. I forgot that the dude racks up technical fouls like crazy.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Still surreal that a about year ago our best player was probably Kevin Martin

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was out of Wi Fi range several times in the last few days. So good to come back and learn that Morey hasn't swapped Howard for Shane Battier! Whew!

15. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

You just went full r****d…

[​IMG]

16. postmoves

postmoves New Member

I have to get tickets!

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For the record, I never said the Rockets could stay above the cap if they got Dwight Howard. It might be theoretically possible under some extraordinarily unlikely circumstance involving a 4- or 5- team trade that will never happen, but for all practical purposes, that is impossible.

My article about staying above the cap was in the event that neither Chris Paul nor Dwight Howard was acquired.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

So petty for Shaq to say something like that.

19. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I think it's because (probably going to derail things) but many feel Chandler Parsons is a great player, but he isn't KD or Durant enough to be a part of a big 3. He is to us what Rondo was to the Celtics in 08' when they had their big 3 (KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen).

20. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

A few seconds later, he threw an elbow Howard's way.

"It was expected," Shaq said. "We've all been in LA, and not a whole lot of people can handle being under the bright lights. Everybody wants to do it, but when you get there, there are certain pressures. I think it was a safe move for him to go to a little town like Houston. That's right, little town. I said it."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...howard-says-los-angeles-spotlight-was-too-big