1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Rockets land Dwight Howard!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 5, 2013.

1. nemac

nemac Member

No TJ DMO CP. Too much potential for a crippling contract @16mil for Smith. Are they in a position to make demands, what other offers have been reported?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So if we do keep Asik, and he doesn't start... who does?

Do we put beverley in?

Beverley
    Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Howard/Asik

Lin and Harden have plenty of size to move down a spot, and Howard gets his stretch 4.

3. trock

trock Member

What a huge day for the Rockets. PnR with a guy who can play vertical. A post up presence (though he can use a lot more time with Hakeem) when we're in half court offense. Potentially a defensive force in the middle for 48 mins a game. We need a couple of shooters to replace Delfino and Garcia's production, but we're going to be scary.

4. nemac

nemac Member

Not in the latest video. They talked about it in depth in late April, saying he should stay will LA and if he dares to leave then he is the problem. Kenny said you don't just leave the lakers, the best organisation, you don't just leave 30mil. Just thought it was interesting to compare, at least. Obviously the best decision was made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEZPIlIzg20

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Always
    Be
    Closing

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

You have to wonder if there's some wink-wink deal where Morey will mysteriously reject Parsons option next season, making him a RFA, and re-sign him for something like 4yr/$40mil.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I wasn't thrilled about DH coming here, worried about the injuries, chemisty, etc...but now that it's official, you have to love the hype/pub for the Rockets! Can't wait!

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'd say Parsons is definitely part of the Rockets longterm plans. Looks as though Morey may owe him one. Hell, maybe we all owe him one. :cool:

10. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Parsons will get paid big time very soon.

11. Homey the Clown

"Maybe if LeBron plays baseball for a year, Houston can win a title again."

Saw that on another board. The hate...it begins.

1 person likes this.
  12. Karolik

Karolik Member

Seems like Parsons is friends with everyone...

13. jennmlj

jennmlj Member

Listening to 790 now...

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was giddy last night when I heard the news but this morning while still happy my feelings are more tempered. I really like how Asik is developing and really feel he could be a top center in a year or two. While Howard is much better than Asik on paper he does have some attitude issues and I am really worried about another Pippen situation.

15. Roxs-Redemption

Rocket fans, we are on the road to the ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Francisco Garcia coming back for the MLE?

17. tkf

tkf Member

Haha, congrats.. I got trolled on another site because I was telling knick fans how well morey was doing as a GM and that he didn't have to make any quick moves because he was acquiring assets.. I said this two years ago... well lookey, lookey.. the rockets have lin, parsons, Harden and Dwight.. wow..

good going Rockets!!!

18. Ultimate6thMan

To the best of my knowledge, we currently don't have the MLE available, only the room exception of 2.6 mil. Would probably have to send out Lin & Asik in a SnT to LA to get the MLE, and that AINT happening.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

No Beverly. Not to start at least; he is our energy guy off the bench. Really you got to hope one of DMo or T Jones max a jump this offseason. They were both close last year at times. TJones is all arouund better but I do believe DMo will turn into at least a 33% 3 pt shooter and with Howard that makes him the more viable. They are both young and can run and TJones appears to have a mid range jumpshot that makes him a vaible alternative if he is the one with all the improvement this off season. So it's one of those guys.

But there are a lot of interesting subs that work too. If Parsons bulks up just a little he can definitely play some minutes against some 4's. I think this Kostas kid is a good size tweener 3/4 that could see some minutes as stretch. And if Francisco is resigned under the Room Exception he can give you a few. Plus there is always a shot that Antawn Jamison might sign for the minimum to be with Howard one more time. He certainly already has a relationship and even at his old age he can do everything that Ryan Anderson (stretch 4) and then some.

Plus Morey already mentioned they might experiment with Dwight and Asik on the floor together at times and I could see that happening 10 minutes a game if it's effective. Think about Howard and Asik down low together no one, not even Lebron will be able to score. They have restrategize their game plan but just when they do we pull one of them back out. And by doing that Asik now gets 25-30 minutes a game. Asik is to valuable to get only 15 minutes so I see McHale working him in for more. Not a lot Just 5 minutes a half but it is a secret defensive weapon that can be used at times.

IMO we are better off at least for now with Asik and Howard on the team and Josh Smith is really not a good fit. Don't misunderstand, Smith is definitely an upgrade over any PF we currently have and I am certain Morey would figure out the best way to utilize him with Hooward but then that means we lose those 25 minutes Asik contributes and Dwight Howard becomes less effective with Smith on the floor. Maybe not much but this way we don't have to give up Asik and still have the opportunity to go after guys like Love and LMA or Ilyasova later on down the road. Plus DMo or TJones may turn into a stud and betterfit and we lose nothing in the process.

And there is also the slim possibility LA SnT's with us to pick up out first pick and a TE and maybe even Francisco. That gives us back our MLE and BAE and opens up more doors. I hope that answers your question.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

We need to hope that Garcia is willing to come back for the vet min so we can use the room exception to go after a perimeter defender (Corey Brewer).