1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Rockets land Dwight Howard!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 5, 2013.

1. JBar

JBar Rookie

I find this study very interesting, especially in terms of the Isiah and KJ examples. If you look, say, at Isiah's lifetime stats, you begin to wonder if he played so well on those championship teams more because of great fit than because of great talent. He is regarded as an all-time great. But was he? His lifetime ws/48 is 109, and he had a relatively short career for a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer. That compares to KJ's career w/48 of 178, and KJ probably won't make the Hall. (Homer alert: I started to root for KJ in college.) Does that stat underrate Isiah's talent. Probably. But I don't think he was as good as people think.

Just for the record: Lin's lifetime w/48 is at 107, just two points lower than Isiah's. I think his numbers will go up playing with Howard. And just to be clear: I am not saying at all that Lin is at Isiah's level as a player. I am just saying that fit is important, and that playing with Howard should be a better fit for Lin.

2. JBar

JBar Rookie

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Individual tickets should go on sale this week.

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Off topic: Jason just put up a tweet that he did a Q&A with Parsons. Can somebody make the thread about it I'm on my phone

5. steady

steady Member

Thought this might have been unclear.

Howard is clearly a 12: high scoring, high rebounding, high blocking post player.
    Harden is either a 2 or 8 (although probably an 8).

6. hbomb

hbomb Member

Wow, what an interesting paper!

I love the idea of trialling combinations to produce maximal win-shares.

Harden-Howard-Lin, seems to be the most logical trio out there. A driver playmaker from the right, the best offensive scorer from the left and the best rebounder and pick and roll player in the centre.

It's a match made in heaven.

Clearly, Harden and Howard will be the highest scoring players probably at an average of 25 and 21 points respectively, but how the other role players of Lin and Parsons and Beverly to an extent will fit, is where our X-factor this year will come. Don't forget Asik coming off the bench will mean a solid defensive presence from start to finish. Having said that, defense starts from outside the 3 point line!

Lin 15p/8a
    Harden 24p/7a
    Dwight 20p/10r

Welcome our next "big 3" Houston! :)

Parsons will likely put up huge numbers too!

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Still cant believe we got him, and have harden.

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Howard
    Whomever
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

Is going to be so fun to watch. What a talented group.

9. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I hope Asik and Howard playing together. It will be extremely dangerous team. We could be going for 70 wins if they play together. They can work it out.

10. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

That team could win 90 games this season

11. moose

moose Member

any idea when single season pre-sale tickets go out? I was hoping this week. most of the other teams have started selling.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My friend saw Dwight working out at LA Fitness Sugarland like a regular Joe Schmo. Pretty cool and he's supposedly very nice.

13. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Which one? off hwy 6 and beechnut or hwy 6 and riverstone? lol I live around the corner from the riverstone one

14. domd221

domd221 Member

A little over a month away.... I have never been so anxious for the season to start during these past 10 years of being a Rockets fan. It's amazing.

15. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

6 and beechnut..he took a few pics with the people there

16. YaosDirtyStache

I am still in AWE that our GM and owner both allowed a slow burn rebuild without tanking. Morey is honestly great. Les is patient and allowed the FO to make moves.

We are VERY fortunate to support a team that fielded entertaining and competitive basketball while still being positioned to jettison to the top.

17. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Anyone else notice how tight fitting the uniforms look this year? The sleeve area fits close to the arm (underarm) versus more of a baggy appearance previously. It is more noticeable with the tight fitting jersey Howard was wearing today.

18. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

I understand what you're trying to say but really? comparing Lin to an all time great PG in Isiah Thomas. The guy who lead the only team to give MJ, the GOAT, a hard time. Remember when MJ remembers his most important highlight of his career, he doesn't remember his MVPs, his rings, his scoring titles, but the moment when he beat the Bad Boy Pistons in 91.

19. DuDDleyDawsonII

Nellys on first take again tomorrow can someone post his segment please

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

We need Bobby Jones or some solid defensive PF to be the 1982 Philadelphia 76ers, one of the all-time great teams and my favorites.

I vote for Asik to fill this role. Hopefully he is mentally and physically up for it.

Cheeks ----> Lin
    Toney ----> Harden
    Erving ----> Parsons
    Jones/Iavaroni ----> ????? (Asik/TJones/DMo/Smith)
    Malone (Moses) ----> Howard