1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[OFFICIAL] Rockets Keeping Aaron Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 28, 2007.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

OK I've spent 24 hours now to digest this draft pick and spend 5 hours downloading and watching his games against UCLA and Arizona.

1) Poor man's Allen Iverson - That is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw him play. Just the way he moves, the crossover dribble, step back jumpshot and how his body slides when he penetrates in the post. Not as smooth as AI but impressive nonetheless. Also he plays very low to the ground and covers the ball the very well with his dribble. Very high energy guy with good repertoire of shots especially stuff of the glass.

2) Clutch - This guy has the "IT" factor and you see him take over a game against some tough teams. He runs the pick n roll beautifully with great spacing on the floor. When he drives likes to get contact and use quickness to get the shot off before defenders can react.

3) Weakness - Court vision lacks tremendously as sometimes he gets carried away in making the play instead o finding teammates. Mid range game is not very polished, either he drives or shoots the 3 pointer. Doesn't like to go to his left hand very often.

Overall I begining to like this trade now that I see what Rockets saw in him. I will take back my anger and say this might actually be a NICE PICK.

Still too early to say but I hope he really stands out in training camp and we see more of him as a regular rotation player.

I was sad and angered now I am semi-happy still numb but I'll get over it.

GO ROCKETS!!!

2. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Hope you're right. Speed can make up for lack of height and I hope this is the case with Brooks. We can certainly use some speed in the back court if only this guy was like 6'5" I'd feel a lot better about the pick.

3. Oldschool Fan

Oldschool Fan Member

That isn't quite true. Yes he had 2.5 turnovers but he only averaged 4.3 assists. That is a 1.72 assist to turnover ratio.

Mike Conley averaged 6.1 assists and 2.2 turnovers for a 2.77 ratio . Acie Law 5.0 assists and 2.6 turnovers for a 1.92 ratio. Jarvis Crittendon had 4.3 assists and 3.9 turnovers for a 1.29 ratio. Gabe Pruitt who went in the second round had 4.3 assists and 1.8 turnovers for a 2.39 ratio.

So he only had a better ratio than Jarvis Crittendon and he was a freshman who is only 19 and still developing.

Brooks was a senior last year and his assist to turnover ratio was not good. He is fast, but he doesn't look to pass when he penetrates.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One note about having "too many small guards."

Mike and Rafer, the top 2 on the chart, are both in their 30s, decent but not top level vets that the team probably trusts to play minutes, but even if they both do stay around, they will begin to decline soon. You want somebody to be able to step in.... who is it?

Spanoulis may not even be back to the NBA.
    Lucas does not look like the answer.
    Head is really a shooter and not a point.

The PG need is not as remote a possiblity as one might think.

I'm hoping Brooks can step in and play a young Tyronn Lue role and be our "stopper" for small quick guards for 5-10 minutes. I probalby expect Rafer and Mike to still carry the load.

The rest of the guard corp would most likely be trade bait or used in matching salaries.

5. thecity5

thecity5 Member

I think he can become a steal especially if he works as hard as he said he will. Ive already seen what he can do and he can create his own shot. his only real weaknes is his vision he doesnt get alot of assists but he could end up being one of the fastest players in the NBA.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uFzMOFml9I"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_uFzMOFml9I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I think the GM is looking at the current NBA and figure one cannot have too many fast guards who can shoot and penetrate. The no hand check rules really makes speed and side to side agility a premium. If Brooks is super quick, can moved side to side, can shoot long range (Didn't he win 3pt shootout?) and can penetrate, he will do OK in the NBA. Sure, if the other point is big and strong, he may be able to post-up Brooks but you didn't expect perfection at 26, did you. As for not getting a PF, well if the team rated Brooks higher and they said they are picking best player available, then they did what they said they would.

They got the PF with the next pick they have. And truth be told. None of the PF available is a lock to be good. If the Rockets started a rookie at PF (the 26th pick), then the Rockets are in REAL trouble. It's a FA or trade that will bring the starting PF.

So the Rockets when "best player regardless of position". This proofs it! No team in their right mind would pick a PG with 5 on the team unless it's best player available baby.

You just know 1 or 2 PG on this team not name MJ will be traded for a PF. VSpan will not be traded, mark my words.

As for Brooks is a JLIII, not even close. Just because someone is small doesn't mean they are the same. AI is small but I don't think anyone would compare JLIII to AI or Brooks to AI.

Just give this GM a chance to shape the team. I mean if Yao takes yet another step up and improve. OMG, that is going to be awesome. That and a redicated TMac will make all the difference. And a new offense with motion and more rest for Yao instead of banging it inside every single play.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yeah we would love and praise this guy if he was 6'5" but then he would be a lottery pick instead of late round sleeper.

From what I've seen first hand and read about this guy, the biggest knock on his game is his lack of height but that can always be compensated for especially if he plays in the open court in an up tempo style.

I think Adelman is think about creating a ultra fast small lineup like...

Brooks
    James
    T-Mac
    Battier
    Hayes

...when he pulls Yao out of the game. This would be our fast break attack the basket type of lineup where we run the ball relentlessly to score some easy points.

Brooks is the kind of guy that could provide a real spark off the bench when he comes in with fresh leg like Bobby Jackson did in Sacramento.

His ability drive and create his own shot really takes a lot of pressure away from T-Mac couple that with Mike James who can do the same and you have guys off the bench who make their own shots. Even Bonzi fits that bill and he really can come back strong then we are a seriously dangerous.

All we really need is a big banger type PF alas Sean Williams type who can guard Carlos Boozer and Tim Duncan in the post. Hayes and Landry can't do it so we need a bigger more powerful type player. Marcus Camby really comes to my mind as good fit we his rebounding and nasty weak side shot blocking.

8. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Exactly...

We have nobody (and from what I can see, there's nobody on the Free Agent list either) who can guard Boozer or Duncan.

I expect Dallas to go and get some serious bangers to go with Dirk and Josh Howard because everything else means nothing.

Maybe, just maaaaaayyyyybeeeee this 5ft pg can stay in front of some of the faster PG's in the league ala (Parker and Williams and Nash), but that means playing major minutes which means he gets his ass handed to him down on the blocks. This is the NBA, little man, not NCAA. YOU will get posted up everytime you're on the court!!!!

So, we still have no perimeter defender for BIG 2 guards and we have no Power Forward, I don't care what you guys say about pick 31.... nobody had him rated that high!!!

And, while I'm still venting, it's not like Daryl Freakin Morey left Boston in such wonderful condition either. Wasn't he involved in the deal that took Telfair to Boston?

I'm telling you guys, this system of his is pure B.S. and the ROX are going to be screwed until a grown up is back in charge of our drafts!!!!! (Not that we were doing so hot before, but hell, bring in an assistant from the Suns, Mavs or Spurs and we'll be fine!!!

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He was with us last year when we got Battier but he was in Boston when Scalabrine was signed by them. A smart player but with limited skills.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

I don't think we are done making moves. We have a lot of tradeable assets now.

11. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Yes we have a bunch of guys on the trading block but I won't go as far as to call them "assets" it's more like liabilities now since the entire league knows we have a fetish for PGs apparently. T-Mac and Yao are untouchables and that leaves Shane as the only real trade ammo left on the Rockets. All the other scubs on our team are just salary fillers that no team in their right mind would even consider trading for. Maybe Isiah after cocaine hit put that is a long shot in itself. :D

12. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Aaron Brooks

Worst Case Scenario: Tyronn Lue
    Most Likely Scenario: Maurice Williams
    Best Case Scenario: Nick Van Exel

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

where are you getting this from???

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

this video has been posted 20 times now. enough

15. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

I'll be very very happy with that.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Can he make a quick and accurate entry pass in the low and high post down to Yao and T-Mac? All the highlights show him penetrating and passing the ball back to another player.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

More like:
    Worst Case Scenario: Career D-Leaguer
    Most Likely Scenario: Tyronn Lue
    Best Case Scenario: Mo Williams

18. lalala902102001

I'm gonna just say this: The Rockets screwed up big time and they will pay for this.

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Good insight there. Well thought out. Im gonna say this: Are you a basketball scout? My guess is no, im thinking the front office knows a little bit more about the draft process and the players they selected than you. The constant pissing and moaning on this board after every move the rockets make is getting tired. We could bring in Tim Duncan and there would still be haters on this board.

20. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I really don't understand the negativity at all.

It seems to be coming from:

1. He's too small.
    2. He had a bad workout.
    3. He was projected in the second round.
    4. He doesn't have court vision.

Responses:

1. He's the same size as Chris Paul, and few players toyed with us more than Paul. It's also a faster, smaller NBA - just look at the Warriors.
    2. Brooks admitted his workout in Houston was bad. That doesn't mean he can't play.
    3. That's assuming reporters know what they're talking about.
    4. Time will tell on this one, but when your role is to carry your entire team deep into the tournament almost single-handedly, beyond expectations, which deserves more credit than he's getting, you're going to be taking a lot of risks.

Positives that seem to be easily overlooked:

1. He's unguardable. I would think that's a pretty good asset.
    2. He can shoot the three, whether self-created or spot-up. Pretty decent considering Tmac is the only other player on the Rox that can do that.
    3. He can guard the Chris Pauls of the NBA. Nice, considering no one else on our team can do that.
    4. He's got a huge heart and great work ethic. That combined with the other three makes for a great best-player-available pick at 26.
    5. There was no one else left that could change a game like he can, and that includes Almond (a taller Head) and Fernandez, who pretty much seemed worth only the cash he was traded for - I'm more concerned with why Morey liked Fernandez than why he drafted Brooks.

I'm also a former Duck, and I couldn't help but think every time I watched him play that he was going to translate very well in the NBA, mainly because he was literally unguardable and has range.

Extra: Brooks could play SG from time to time with the taller Vspan taking the point and guarding the opposing SG. It would really mess up the opposing team's defense not predicting who the point was, and that's the beauty of Adelman's offense.