1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] [ROBERT REICH] Liz Cheney for President 2024 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 13, 2022.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Turned out to be a basket of snowflakes.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nook likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That seems rather mean. I understand why they want fascism now. The meanness was too much.

FranchiseBlade and Nook like this.
  4. fchowd0311

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Charles Murray argued that line changed the course of human history

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

these statements rather miss the point

7. fchowd0311

I can understand. A adult child's ego is really fragile and delicate. You have to respect that delicacy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Wait we shouldn't be nicer?

9. fchowd0311

Wait the same Charles Murray who makes claims about the lower intelligence of black people being based on genetics even though he's a poli sci liberal arts guy with no hard science education and attributes statistical IQ distribution with mechanistic genetics claims?

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

same guy

11. fchowd0311

****. Seems like I shouldn't care about what he says. Seems like a guy who speaks beyond his intellectual means.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

blue_eyed_devil and Nook like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The parties are in the middle of a transition not seen since at least 1964 and likely more like the 1920's.

What it means to be a democrat and republican is going to be vastly different than it was.

The split was on racial and financial lines between the parties for a long time..... and that appears to be changing a lot.

My point is that it is really hard to pinpoint who can lead either party and not be "crazy" when we are in the middle of the roller coaster and do not know where it will end.

Right now the values or lines taken by people like Trump, DeSantis, Cortez and others seem extreme.... but they may not in another 5 years.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you believe someone is acting unethically, and you feel your political party is heading towards a dark direction, do you shut up and tow the line for the sake of your party and power, or do you stand up and become a target/pariah?

History is filled with this - and usually those who stand up fail and are often executed for their disloyalty. But they are the ones history remembers as heroes.

I don't like Liz Cheney as I think her policies are crap. But she is a patriot, standing up to a man who wants absolute power. History tells us men like Trump will do awful things once they have that power. While many people support him now, he would sacrifice many of them and their quality of life for his own whims.

You look what states are like with leaders who thirst for power - North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Syria, etc etc - they all have one thing in common - their people are poor across the spectrum while the leader live well off. Do we really want that here in the US? You may laugh it off and think its not possible, but that's what makes it very possible. That's the direction we're headed. Propaganda and misinformation is part of the formula for creating an autocracy. Populists in history nearly always tend towards autocracy.

It's so alarming to see people like DeSantis bully corporations and people into aligning with his politics. That's the character of a despot.

I believe you know all this and what you post here is a form of devil advocacy to test out conservative arguments. I just hope you don't start buying into those arguments.

15. Nook

Nook Member

They have to have some connection to Trump right now. Almost every Republican that has stood up to Trump or alienated him has paid the price, often losing their jobs. It is a lot like in the 1930's when almost every Democrat had to play ball with Roosevelt.

durvasa likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More like a bag of dicks

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

While I think that this is a green light moment, and something we can all point to - I also think that it is overplayed in some ways. I do not think that the moment it was said that everything changed, I do think that it however is representative of an elitist split in the USA between those with a strong standard education and those without.

With it being far easier to get student loans, and the need to no longer be from a wealthy family to go to college - we have really changed the culture in America. Right now 40% of Americans 25 years old or older have graduated from college and almost 95% of Americans have graduated from high school by age 25.

In 1975 only 10 percent of Americans had graduated from college and about half had a high school diploma. Even in 1992, the year that Bill Clinton was elected President, only 20% of the USA had a college degree.

All of these college graduates cut across financial, ethnic and gender lines. These 40% of Americans in most cases have some degree of shared experiences.

It has caused some degree of a dividing line. There are value differences broadly speaking based on your education level.

It has caused a political schism that is a result of the social divide we have now.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

actually, now that I've had time to consider and reflect upon yours and others' arguments here, I've decided to quit my job and campaign full-time for Trump as soon as he declares this fall.

Invisible Fan, Nook and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

The democratic party is not going to be the party of the poor. I am not sure the republican party will be either....... but the democrats are shifting more into the party of the college educated and the republican party is becoming the party of more traditionalists and those that are not as well educated and in many cases the poor.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member