1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Revenge of the Sith thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fya, May 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Just saw ROTS last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. This was the first (and I guess last) prequel to actually feel like a movie, rather than play out like a CGI orgy. Kudos to Lucas for pulling it off. However, it still doesn't erase the stigma of the other 2 prequels, though, and never will.

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I've been thinking a lot about the Jedi's laughable attempt to hide Luke. I've come to the conclusion that keeping Luke's real name (Luke = the name of Padme's father and Skywalker = Anakin's last name) and hiding him on Vader's home planet was done for a purpose, namely to draw out Vader. (Leia had her last name changed, as she was not part of Yoda's plan.) I believe Yoda realized at the end of ROTS that Luke was the "Chosen One," rather than Anakin, and put Luke into position to confront Vader and fulfill his destiny (keeping in mind that Obi-Wan was nearby to help). And/Or, at the very least, Luke was designed to be bait, and that once Vader came to confront him, Obi-Wan could finish the job, as he was also on Tatooine. However, I guess that plan didn't work, as Luke left Tatooine too early, prompting Obi-Wan to act and take Luke to Vader instead. Or something like that. I don't know. Tying the two trilogies together is tricky business.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

but at the end of the movie isn't Vader percieved to be dead?

3. VesceySux

Maybe, but don't you think Yoda can sense him?

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Grievous's wheeze is based on the fact that his chest was crushed by Mace Windu in an expanded universe story. I'm pretty sure Lucas was on board with these stories.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well some EU sources are better than others. Stuff dealing with the Clone Wars cartoon and other "Prequal-Era" supplemental information got a lot more scrutiny out of Lucas. But GL pretty much gave anybody free-reign over the post "ROTJ-Era", because he wasn't planning on pursuing that timeline.

I swear the Dark Horse comic, where Palpatine gets cloned and Luke pretends to be his apprentice is the stupidest thing ever. I refuse to believe that Lucas was paying attention when they did that. He just didn't care because by that time he wasn't going to do any sequal movies.

Oh and Veseysux. The reason that they figured Luke would be safe from Vader is that they buried Padme looking like she was still pregnant. Unbeknownced to them, the Emperor told Vader that he killed Padme so that made it even better. Vader wasn't looking for Luke because he didn't think he was alive. Oh and according to Lucas, in his universe the name Skywalker is as popular as Jones is in the USA, so it's not as if Vader is going to hear the name Skywalker and get instantly suspicious.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My knowledge of star wars loser trivia indicates taht excessive use of the dark side physically wastes away your body, i.e., make you pale and broken down looking - perhaps either 1. fate dictated that siddious sort of got all of his wasting away in one climactic dose, apprropriate for his asssumption of the throne/coming out party, or 2.for some reason he always looked like that and somehow fooled everybody into thinking he looked like palpatine (via mind tricks or something) when he was really hideous siddious, (remember when he sends his covert transmissions he's usually in his emperor form.)

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I was gonna say the same thing. Padme still looks pregrant at the end of ROTS. They covered her birth to keep the twins safe. So Vader has no reason to be looking for Luke since he doesn't know he exists. Plus, I doubt he even gives a s**t about the Owens family and wouldn't necessarily be the first place he looks if he knew Luke was alive. He'd probably track down Obi Wan first...then maybe head to Naboo since Padme talked about raising the child(ren) on her home planet.

It's really not as tricky as you think. If you check out Nick's link you'll find tons of connections people have found btwn the two trilogies. It's a great read. And I think Lucas did a really good job connecting the dots. Also..

something I had thought about last night...that supports the argument that Leia is talking about Padme in ROTJ when Luke asks her about her real mother. Well I'm sure its already been said that both Luke and Leia had retained some memory of their mother through the Force. Luke's "memory" of Padme is the goodness he sees in Vader. Padme tells Obi Wan at the end of ROTS that there is still good in Anakin. Luke tells Obi Wan and Vader that there is still good in Anakin during ROTJ. Leia's "memory" is images of Padme. Remember a Jedi can perceive the PAST, present and future, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that Leia has these images. Now picture this, maybe about the same age dear old dad started having nightmares of his mother suffering, Leia started having visions and seeing images of Padme. She goes to her adopted dad, Sen. Organa, and tells him what she's been seeing. He then tells her that she's probably seeing her mother, her real mother, and tells her that she was adopted and Padme was her real mother and died when she was very young. Padme was a loyal servant to the republic, deeply respected and an overall good person, so I would think the Organas would eventually tell her when she's old enough. Course they wouldn't tell her about her father for obvious reasons. So when ROTJ comes around and Luke asks her about her real mother, she can tell him about Padme, not knowing that Padme is his mother too and Vader is their father. The key is the phrasing of Luke's question. REAL mother tends to suggest that both Luke and Leia knew that Leia was adopted which isn't a stretch to believe because no mention is made either way and we can assume that they got to know each other pretty well. My point is, if somebody asked me if I remembered my REAL father...my first thought and question to them would be..."wait hold up, wat the f*** do you mean REAL father?!" So it does seem that Leia knows she's adopted and knows about Padme.

In any case, I love how you can keep finding connections like this between the PT and the OT, and how they link up in unexpected and uncanny ways.

#407 JunkyardDwg, May 29, 2005
    Last edited: May 29, 2005
  8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I finally saw the movie yesterday. It was the best movie I have seen in a while. Wow.

Swoly-D, #1 on your list had me cracking up out loud in the library computer lab.....:D

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just got back from seeing it (finally). Nothing to say that hasn't been covered in this monster thread except that it ROCKED.

The only flaw was Vader's "Noooooooo!!!!!" when he found out about his wife. Other than that, an amazing movie. Obviously the best of the prequels. Maybe the best of all six. :eek:

Think I'll re-watch A New Hope tonight.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Now am I just an average star wars fan nothing like a hardcore true fan but after Sidious dies wouldnt it be Jedi-2 and Sith-0? I thought the whole premise was that Vader/Anakin was able to return from the dark side and hence became a jedi again and was no longer a sith. I am probably ill-informed but could anyone here who has read the expanded series etc clarify that?

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well technically you can say that towards the end of ROTJ for a very brief moment, the tally was Jedi 2 - Sith 0 cause Anakin had turned good again. But then he dies, so at the end it's Jedi 1 - Sith 0 since you can't count dead Jedi. Or maybe its like Jedi 1.5 (Leia after all has the force in her) and Sith 0 :p

12. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

after watching this movie 3 times, i found the only problem with it is that its simply too hard to believe that the Anakin we saw portrayed by Christiensen in the last 2 movies could eventually become Darth Vader

i mean, the whole dark side and hate thing aside, Hayden came across as a whiney little b**** ...thats not Darth Vader ....Vader was a calculating, cunning bad ass

I keep thinking that Joaquin Phoenix would have been a perfect Anakin in the last 2 movies ...he could have pulled off the transition without any problems whatsoever

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think so too.

I think the character of Anakin should of been the perfect Jedi, with just hints of fear and anger loss of self-control. He should of been worshipped by all. It would of made he turn to the darkside much more dramatic.

l would of liked to see Haley Joel Osment as Anakin in Phantom Menace.

15. VesceySux

Maddox has something to say about ROTS. NOTE: Harsh language.

Also, if you haven't already seen this, check out Darth Vader's blog, an incredibly well written and funny account of the Star Wars movies from Vader's perspective.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That Maddox guy is right on the money.....review for the ages....

;)

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I like the bedtime story.