1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Ravens @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 16, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that one is ran to death, usually has Watson leaking out to the strong side which draws defenders that way.
    If they could get those results consistently it would open up underneath and the run game.
    But like anything you can’t over do it, no variety. I don’t know why it isn’t successful more often honestly.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I found this yesterday and its kind of been stuck in my mind. KC's offense is so dynamic and innovative that most of the time its hard to tell its even an RPO attack - at least to my eyes. Sure the easy to spot staples are there, but there is so much motion with Reid and what he does for his QB that when I glance back at my team the Texans and they are supposed to be running the same "style" of offense yet it looks so plodding and forced. Nothing is flowing and using momentum. Im still confused how when I pull up the Watson highlights from 2017 and look at the plays they dont even look the same to the plays they use now?? How can this be?

https://unfilteredaccess.com/2020/0...n-and-how-it-put-andy-reid-in-the-super-bowl/

BigShasta likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Reids RPO offense is way different than ours lol. O’Brien is running basics while Reid is running a master class. Reid runs a legit passing attack out of the RPO, it also helps that their run game is good, basically plug and play. So threat is there and almost serves as a play action off the RPO, that’s not even mentioning the speed.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

interesting. so what constitutes a legit passing attack? are you saying that the route combinations are suspect here? I would say the Texans speed at the WR spot now should not be the issue since it was assembled with intent (cant help that Fuller is Mr Glass I know). Seems like Reid will always give Mahomes an "out" in the passing game, while I struggle at times to find out what the hot read or even what safety valve Watson has particularly against the blitz, but also just in the general passing game.

We have so many 1st/2nd rounders tied up in the OL - PLUS David Johnson that its just killing me that they cant trigger more response from the defense. Half the time it looks like the defense knows what Watson and OBrien want to do. Im really hoping that it has just been a case of playing teams that are just better than you so the offensive line can mesh and start to generate better push and protection in order for these other concepts to have time to materialize.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The hot read/check down options are what sets them apart. I think (don’t know for sure) this is more to do with the rollouts Watson does, it limits backside routes or has them all roll to one side of the field (would explain why there’s always receivers in same spot).

Reids offense is RPO but it’s more zone read with pass routes, Mahomes doesn’t move outside the numbers as much and leaves more of the field to work with route wise. He also has a ridicule arm so throws that shouldn’t be made he can make.
    I can’t tell you why O’Brien runs what he does or who sets the check down or not routes. There aren’t a lot of easy throws outside the flat and the TE lead. But it’s predictable.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[unfriend] :D

csj, red5rocket and CrazyJoeDavola like this.