1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Ravens @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. plates300

plates300 Member

I'm far from a football fanatic but how the heck do other teams have receivers/players running wild when ours are constantly covered and can't beat ANY coverage? It seems like other coaches know how to scheme to get players open versus the Texans who depend on pure ability. Every week, some no name player from another team seems to be able to get open and get the ball yet our receivers can't get separation even if their lives depended on it. It's time for a coaching overhaul from top to bottom. No excuse. Our players aren't top notch but they're far from the bottom of the barrel. Bill has had more than enough time to get this sorted out and every game, it's just trash on the field. over it.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Answer:
    [​IMG]

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We used to have that when Kubiak was the coach we just got in trouble when we had to pass in the red zone because Schaub's noodle arm couldn't fit the ball in tight windows when we needed it. I thought Kubes was too conservative, but he looks like a riverboat gambler compared to BOB.

BOB's offense is just boring its like watching paint dry. They are not only bad but play boring football too. You see all this excitement with great athletes around the league and its like watching paint dry watching this boring offense that despite having most of the same players year after year they look like they have no chemistry between each other.

One thing that irks me is how often we see multiple WR's in pass patterns right on top of each other. That should never happen in any level of football.

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

"The offense is complicated. It takes time to perfect it."

7 years and waiting Bill.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

if you get some time go see what Belichek and McDaniels are doing with Cam Newton and it will make you want to punch a hole through your monitor.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we have to believe him when he says he doesn't have a fourth day play

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You want Watson running QB draws up the middle into defensive line?
    You guys do realize that isn’t a sustainable way of winning and a guaranteed way to get Watson hurt.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I thought this narrative had already been disproved or at the least over stated , and if you would do a quick research on the subject may come away with a different perspective.

I wouldnt run Deshaun Watson up the middle AS MUCH as Cam Newton - No.

I would however make a concerted effort to make sure the defense was kept at bay with designed runs - to the outside or in a moving pocket with some RPO concepts thrown in.

BEING ABLE TO run that QB Draw up the middle opens up so much more, but if the choice is to never run with a Dual Threat QB then you're limiting 50% of his usefulness.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No it hasn’t been dispelled or disproved. Dual threat QB are awesome but passing is and will always be the main factor to success and long term sustainability.
    Pass first, run second.

Theres a reason Lamar has had minimal success in playoffs while Mahomes has had more.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If you watched the games you would also see a large chunk of the plays are RPO for Texans. They’re just bad design or bad execution.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

sigh. yup and I guess what Kyler Murray is doing wont last either right?

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Is Kyler a run first QB? No.

Dual threats like Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Luck are the gold standard. Pass first with the ability to beat you with their legs-the key being not taking big hits.

There has never been a run first QB that has had success in the playoffs

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/injury-proneness-running-qbs-russell-153302034.html

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/

NOW you are saying that it is about play style that will dictate success in the playoffs! (so many things dictate success in the playoffs - but you know this!) you seem to be trapped in 2010.

The pocket passer is dead. Long live the Mobile QB.

Welcome to the modern NFL.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Okay now you want to insinuate that Im arguing a run first QB. Lets be clear. I am not.

Texans need to run more designed QB runs for Watson is what I am saying.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you understand the difference between dual threat and run first?
    I’m not sure you are grasping what I’m saying.
    Cam will not have success or stay healthy because he isn’t a threat to beat you with his arm.
    There is a reason Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers are the best in the league. Elite throwers that can run.
    Lamar is a one read QB, Roman does a good job in regular season (same as he did with Kap) but it doesn’t translate to postseason success.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I’d say you’re absolutely wrong about that, he runs enough already and is a threat to run. Do you not remember him taking a van to Florida because he couldn’t fly?

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Cam Newton (the guy you said is running a lot of RPO in New England and not realizing we do the same stuff) is who you were referencing-a run first QB

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This "run first" QB had 397 passing yards what are you talking about why are you putting words in my mouth??

Is he not running alot of RPO coming from the birthplace of this OBrien offensive system? JFC my original comment was designed to shed light on how innovative Belichek can be and how disturbingly obtuse OBrien is and now its become a referendum on pocket passers vs Dual Threat/Mobile QBs!! LOL

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

yeah - he's running for his life due to wretched offensive line play - not quite the same chief.

red5rocket likes this.