1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Post Season all optimism thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by megastahr, Apr 23, 2012.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I too am disappointed that we missed the playoffs…I felt with the addition of Camby and getting Lowry back we actually could have had a chance to do some damage in the playoffs.

This losing streak did two things…showed us that wasn’t the case, and provided the best possible outcome for us this season.

We retain our draft pick in a draft class that is being said to be one of the best in a long time…and way better than the 2013 draft. Thus diminishing the effects of Moreys worst move as a GM to date.

We enter the draft and off season with the following:

Extreme roster flexibility:
    We have two PGs that we can trade one and still have a starting PG
    We have Martin, Scola that we can trade or amnesty for cap space. I think martin is as good as gone.
    We have Dalembert who we can flip for a nice asset or as a part of trade pkg orr if it best suits us decline his option. (id imagine a 7 foot shotblocker would have some trade value on a 1 year 7 mil deal)
    We have a ton of youth to package in trade or fill roster holes after major trade.

Draft assets:
    We have our own 13-14 pick.
    We have NYKs pcik 15-17
    We have Mavericks pick most likely next year (prob even better for trading purposes)
    We also have Dontas Montiejunas Coming over who would be equivalent to a lottery pick next year.
    All this in one of the best draft classes in a long time.

Possibility of major cap space:
    We can choose if we want to retain dragic and lee
    We can trade players such as martin and scola and take back 0 or little salary to increase that space.
    Worst case scenario we still have our amnesty option to use.

There will be some big names to acquire:
    Dwight Howard will almost definitely be trade before the draft. We were right there at the deadline, and we have more assets now (our pick and dragics play which makes lowry tradeable).
    Derron williams as we can offer a sign and trade or to sign out right. (contingent on landing howard)
    If heat loose again quite possibly could acquire bosh.
    Gasol will definitely be available when lakers loose again.
    Rumors Baragni will available…could be perfect fit with Dontas.
    Restricted free agents we might could pry away in Eric Gordon, Batum, Greg Stiemsma, Omir Asik, mcgee, roy hibbert, ryan Anderson, Jeremy lin.

There are also some big name veterans we could add to the team if we made a major move for howard and or D will…such as:
    Garnett, Allen, redd, nash, Crawford, and most importantly Jason terry (get him on a rockets roster asap! Lol)

Also potential amnesty options used to make even more big name stars available:
    Joe Johnson, Corey Maggette, Paul Pierce, okafor, channing frye ..etc

Conclusion is… this off season something major is going to happen. We are at a fork in the road. I would say, as good as morey has been, he knows if he doesn’t make something big happen then his job is on the line. I feel we are in the same situation the Texans were in last year…and they pulled off some big signings. I see us trading up to acquire a high draft pick, or adding a big name such as howard or dwill, or clearing up space for a major free agent remodeling. Then we can be excited to watch the development of Dontas, Parsons and Morris (who I steel believe in)…and who knows maybe we can snag llull if needed.

Please post your thoughts on the possible scenarios for the rockets.

1 person likes this.
  2. megastahr

*Still believe in...not steel lol

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks Daryl.

4. megastahr

I am just saying...we might have had a mediocre performance...but we are not in the same situation as other teams...like the wizards, bucks, etc...

We have a lot of options now...and I think morey will finally be pushed into a corner into making a move that he doesnt completely win (to him)...but is needed.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, how many wins do we get for Roster flexibility?

Optimism meter at all time low.

DD

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So if our outlook doesn't look any better a year for now, that's a major fail right?

7. DaDakota

I would say by training camp, if it doesn't look a whole lot better.

DD

8. megastahr

I would say if a major move is not completed by the start of the season that is a major fail...and if one is made before the deadline. More should be let go regardless of team record...because a fast start might lead one to believe this team to be more than mediocre...which we have learned the hard way...its not.

9. megastahr

The point of this thread was to give the opposing view of the rockets future. It seems there are a million threads with nothing but negativity...I just wanted to bring to light some of the positives to look forward to. I am still a proud rocket fan and have a lot of things I am excited about for this team.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Fair enough, personally, it is hard knowing that the team has been basically treading water for so long, and all we get to cheer for is cap room, flexibility, and mid range draft picks.

I respect what you are trying to do though, keep it up !!

Things I am optimistic about.

1. Turnover of Lowry and Kmart - they could net us something in the way of a higher draft pick.

2. Chandler Parsons - wow, what a find, going to have a fine NBA career as a starting SF.

3. Dragic - For stretches this year, maybe the most versatile PG in Rockets history.

4. CLee - shows that he is a starting caliber NBA SG - and we will probably lock him up on for a decent contract.

5. Camby - Really want to keep him for a couple of years with team option contracts as the backup C.

DD

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I have the distinct feeling that come training camp we will have made more minor moves and the fans will hear more "we are flexible and looking for a big trade" talk.

And next spring we will have the same result.

Short of amazing luck (either through some other team gifting us a superstar or lottery pick), this team is destined to continue in mediocrity as long as Les Alexander owns the team.

12. megastahr

If thats true then...we as fans no that they are not committed to winning...but to making a profit. And attendance will diminish and we will all but boycot the team until it is sold...and a management that wants to win takes over.

13. megastahr

thanks...and I agree with all that...i would just add. I am really excited to see what dontas can do. I think he may be our biggest hope.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's really saying something, given your annual "this team is close" "stand pat" "stay the course" patois in which 9th seed was knocking on the door...

15. DaDakota

No potential healthy "Yao" walking through that door anymore.

Eventually I get it, sometimes it just takes a while.

:)

DD

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Lets see what we can get in the second round! Morey has done a fantastic job with the later draft picks, not many NBA teams are concerned with the 2nd round. I feel like this is very progressive of him! The problem is that you probably can't find a "sleep" center in the second round...yet.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BenchMarks

Draft
    Training Camp
    All Star Break
    Trade Deadline
    Playoff elimination
    repeat

Rocket River
    I think I have seen this movie before

18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Keys for rebuilding
    1. Somehow attain a potentially star SG that can make create in isolation
    2. Center!
    3. See if the group can be the core to build around

....if only it were that simple. The parts we're missing are the hardest to fill.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dwight Howard is the only domino that matters. Slight second place to Chris Bosh if the Heat fail in the playoffs.

If neither of those guys become available, then the Rockets will look mostly the same next year.

20. megastahr

yah good point...it might be in the teams best interest to trade out of the 1st round and get more second round picks lol