1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official (positive) Kevin McHale offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 15, 2014.

1. Neped

Neped Member

....... I got nothing.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

Coaching aside, McHale truly is a very nice guy. I met him years ago when I worked at the Houstonian. Golf Club. Very down to earth and friendly, I can see why players feel comfortable with him and want to play for the guy. With regard to getting better. he ought to be studying tape of every weakness he has to figure out how to eliminate costing us wins. The squad he had this year was pretty legit and should have made it past Portland no problem

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO!

4. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

he has nice hair

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He's not afraid of Greg Popovich or any of the big names in the NBA.

His one shining moment was when he pissed off Pops by interfering with the inbounds pass LOL

6. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Vogul and Brooks have lead teams to at least the Conference Finals...

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Pops wasn't really pissed. Maybe he was pissed he didn't have a chance to do that, coz he would. But yeah, that was good stuff.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

And yet it doesn't hold a candle to Boki Nachbar posterizing Karl Malone in the playoffs...

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I was not thrilled when they hired him but McHale has grown on me. Other than the knee-jerk drama and general impatience inherent with fans, I've never understood the impassioned McHale hate. He played on a championship team, and his prior coaching and GM experience provide a broad basis of knowledge and perspective rare in an NBA coach.

His GM experience is under-appreciated (regardless of success or failure). He understands what it takes to put a team together and achieving what the GM and ownership expect. He has a great rapport and relationship with the players and has improved the team's winning percentage in each year.

Would I rather have Red Auerbach, Popovich, or the Van Gundys? Sure, but I guarantee you, some knucklehead fans would be screaming for their heads after every regular season loss, not to mention the apoplexy if the team lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Surround him with better assistants and let him coach. Everyone will be on the McHale bandwagon when they win. Hell, it wasn't too long ago that there was a fairly big "fire Maury" contingent on this site.

10. conquistador#11

get us to the finals and all is forgotten.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

McHale positivity:

I am positive we need a better coach.

...sorry, that's all I have.
    (he really does seem like a nice person though. I wish him well.)

12. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Kevin McHale is a consummate professional and I hope he retires a rocket....this summer.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The only positive regarding McHale this off season will be if this sorry incompetent clueless joke of a coach is fired once he helps us get Love if he can. That would be perfect for a guy who embarassed the Rockets come playoff time.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The players like him.

Pretty big deal in an era of superstars calling the shots.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Charles Barkley said Miami fans aren't real fans and Cleveland fans are. We're getting the Miami variety of fan around here: if the team wins, they like the team, if the team loses, they don't like the team: I mean literally they dislike the individuals on the team. I thought being a fan was about just liking your team.

"That's what losers say" will be the reply. And my reply is "Losers think they are winners if their team wins a basketball game." If you can't be happy as a fan of the Rockets, go follow the Spurs or Heat.

16. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Mchale is the best thing since sliced bread. He's like Phil Jackson but better. He is a master at the Xs and Os and his mind-boggling rotations and defensive/offensive plays are second to none. What an honor it is to have someone of his caliber coaching our team. He was like a blackhole when he played and he's also like a blackhole when he coaches because he sucks the will and life out of other coaches due to his superior brilliance.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

Now, THAT he did do very well....

That's the best way I could respond to this post without being negative....