1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official (positive) James Harden offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, May 15, 2014.

1. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

I didn't think it was possible for your posts to get any more empty and dull, but you continue to top yourself.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There's someone that Harden can actually defend.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

WTF. what a lazy bum.

should be doing defensive drills and working on the right hand.

I am not serious.

More big booty pics plz.

4. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

His mid-range has been unstoppable, hope he continues to improve. Next step is to be able to trail his assignments so that they don't just blow by him and that's it.

5. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

All Harden need is the will to be a champion

6. rokit

rokit Member

Meaningless stat. Most of those players bring the ball over the half court. Bev/Jlin do it for Harden

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

he's young still and can get better. I think he will. Probably needs a better coach.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Do you think that Lebron is brining the ball up the court every trip?

Are Dragic and Bledsoe somehow "co-dribbling" the ball up the court each trip?

BTW, Beverley averages 10.8 backcourt touches per game, Lin averages 11.8 backcourt touches per game and Harden averages 15.1 backcourt touches per game. Likewise CP3 averages 14.9 backcourt touches per game, Westbrook 11.5 backcourt touches and Curry averages 14.0 backcourt touches per game. I don't think you can attribute those guys possessing the ball almost 50% longer than Harden to the fact that they bring the ball up the floor.

#48 aelliott, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Well done.

10. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

I love how in this entire statement, it completely ignores how Harden doesn't even try on defense. If Harden's offense isn't rolling then he's a liability on the court because he doesn't even attempt to play defense.

11. aelliott

Let's apply a little math to this.

I'll pick Mike Conley as a sample.

Conley gets 13.3 backcourt touches per game.

Let's assume a worst case scenario that every one of Conley's backcourt touches are him brining the ball up the court. Further, let's give a generous estimate that each of those trips to midcourt takes 7 seconds. That's 13.3 x 7 sec for a grand total of 93.1 seconds per game used to bring the ball up the floor.

Conley possesses the ball for a total of 9 minutes per game. 9 x 60 sec = 540 seconds per game possession time for Conley.

If we subtract worst case of 93.1 total seconds spent bringing the ball up the floor that leaves us with 540 - 93.1 = 446.9 seconds. 446.9/60 = 7.45 minimum minutes possession time in the front court for Conley.

Harden possesses the ball a total of 5.3 minutes per game. Let's also assume a worst case scenario here and say that Harden never touches the ball in the back court and that all 5.3 minutes of possession time are in the front court.

That means that Conley's front court possession time is still 140% of Harden's front court possession time.

You can do a similar calculation with any of the guys that I listed and they'll all come out with considerably more possession time in the front court than Harden.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Why don't you take a look at the post he is responding too.

Turns out every time you mention a player, you don't have to write out an entire scouting report.

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

True, he didn't play well overall during the series, but he had a lot of go-ahead shots in the series. Was it game 3 where he had the Rockets last 8 points?

14. aelliott

Well, the context of the quote was a direct response to statements made by CH and most of it regarded "clutchness" and possession time.

Secondly, I did say that there was a perception that Harden's defense allowed Matthews and Batum to go off despite the fact that both had a lower FG% and 3FG% than they did in the regular season. So, defense wasn't completely ignored.

The flaw in your logic is that your assuming that if Harden isn't "rolling" then he's contributing nothing and that simply isn't true. Even if you remove all of Harden's points, he still leads the team in assists and steals and he's our #5 rebounder. Those are all tangible contributions.

Additionally, Portland schemed their entire defense to stop Harden. Because of that Dwight got to go against single coverage most times, our PF was left uncovered and perimeter players got open looks from behind the arc. Do you think that Dwight is nearly effective if Harden isn't on the floor?

So Wesley Matthews who shoots 44.2 FG% and 39.3 3FG% during the regular season ends up shooting 41.3 FG% and 30.0 3FG% and you somehow think that he dominated?

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I meant to bring this up before, but last week I was listening to the BS Report with Mark Stein as the guest. They were discussing something along the lines of the dangers of twitter and social media in how it effects reporting and news and he brought up what I thought was a great point.

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303...f164006e265c3ad&referer=http://grantland.com/

It's around the 27 minute mark if anyone is interested in listening.

Not the word for word quote but basically the gist of it.

Not here to dispute that he is a bad defender, but I feel like Simmons was absolutely spot on and reading the posts here, in my mind, confirms exactly what he was talking about. I mean this has gotten blown so far out of proportion to the fact that people hear are finding ways to completely dismiss the contributions of a guy who is widely accepted as at the very least a top 15ish player in this league. And just like you said, Harden was so terrible defensively yet the 2 guys he was predominantly guarding managed to shoot worse than their season averages and it's just lost on most people.

1 person likes this.
  16. alX

alX Member

that's because these pedestrian mediocrities have no real lives of their own so they have to dump on someone who has actually made something of his life.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This is such a stupid post, though going by the posts of yours that I have seen, I am unfortunately not surprised. To begin with, start off by understanding the context of the poster's reply. Harden is not a liability when his offense is not rolling. That is AB who literally had nothing to offer when a single aspect of his game was not working. Let's drop some knowledge on your ignorant ass. Harden still has plenty to offer due to the following:

1. Even when he doesn't get his fouls and his shot isn't falling, the other team still has to account for him on D at all times. This is due to the fact that he can both shoot and drive and can heat up at any time as he proved many times during the season.

2. He was by far one of our best facilitators during the series. The reason for this despite his offense not working is because he is not only a good passer but the D has to account for him regardless of his offense and that opens up teammates.

Already, even without getting fouls, shots, or D, he is already contributing by penetrating and passing, keeping the D locked on him. This doesn't even include the fact that he was also getting boards and steals. If he wasn't in the game, the D simply collapses on Dwight with double teams and forces him to try passing out to our very inconsistent perimeter shooters.

No one is saying Harden's D is not an issue, but to call him a liability is just stupidity to the nth degree, though again, coming from you, not surprising.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

His offensive game has gotten so much better from last season. I don't see how anyone who watches the Rockets day in and day out don't notice this.

His defense is "meh." Average to below average defender.

But lets not pretend for a second that our team defense would become elite with him just focusing in more. Our defensive problems go WAY beyond him.

And about the positivity, I saw James Harden at the Galleria on Tuesday. He went into Urban Outfitters. And my friend and I walked in there to say hi to him, but he was on the phone and this dude with him (probably his agent) was telling us to go away lol.

But yeah, Isiah Cannon was outside as well.

19. rokit

rokit Member

Your stats are either wrong or you're using them incorrectly...when a player brings the ball over the half court line does that count as a back court touch,front court touch or both? All PGs and especial the main ball handler like Conley will average anywhere between 40 to 90 back court touches per game,easily. So let me ask you this, is there an official "back court touches per game" statistic that you're using?

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

His age is actually more of a negative, than a positive, when you take the bigger picture into consideration. When we initially got him, it was great, but since we acquired Dwight I've thought the age difference would be a problem. I think the regular season was pretty much what Morey expected, but the playoffs certainly weren't, and those 6 games were a better indicator of where we are at and we're behind. Harden and Parsons need to grow up a season or two sooner than normal or else we're going to have to let Dwight go in 3 years and do this all again.