1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL POLL] Top 2017 James Harden Game 6 conspiracy theory explanations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, May 16, 2017.

?

What the hell happened to James Harden in Game 6 against the Spurs?

1. Harden had the flu or some other generic physical ailment

9.4%
  2. Harden had a concussion, as suggested by Bill Simmons and others

17.6%
  3. Harden was simply exhausted, fatigued, tired, overtaxed, etc.--he basically "ran out of gas"

30.8%
  4. He was on his period (ROXTXIA'S term!): meaning? some inexplicable emotional/physical thing

18.2%
  5. He wanted his teammates to step up and to quit relying on him, so he deliberately didn't shoot

10.1%
  6. He got misty-eyed and brain-rattled by memories of Khloe Boo-Tay

5.7%
  7. He just flat-out quit because he wanted to go "get his drank on"

24.5%
  8. He threw the game for money; see also, "Yard, The Longest"

11.3%
  9. Someone slipped something in his drink: Steven A's theory

5.0%
  10. Other (please explain your theory below)

9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Other: Harden found out before Game 5 OT Ted Cruz is a Rockets fan

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

some posters have offered some pretty thoughtful guesses

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think this is exactly right. Harden doesn't know when to take control and when to try to get his teammates involved.

The bottom line - when Harden says he didn't feel in rhythm, he is really saying he didn't feel confidence.

He was a bit shaken and was second guessing himself, and that's why he made so many mistakes. It's a mental game, and at that level, when you lose confidence, things can go south quickly.

Players of his caliber depend on making decisions in split seconds and making the right decisions. If your confidence is not there, and you over think it, you make bad plays like throwing the ball out of bounds

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Nice job putting this together by you and Roxtxia! I considered doing this myself over the last few days, but figured with my obvious disdain it would just come across as bashing... I didn't need a bunch of "Christ, give the guy a break he just had a bad game" retorts - lol!
    I'm glad the possibilities are out there for discussion and possible insights!

#24 kjayp, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    ilovehtownbb and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I went with the period option...

I view the drug thing as a real possibility... in some capacity... either he has a problem, or he was slipped something or he took something thinking it was something else... some drug related deal... he just looked too toasted...

but my initial thoughts, and still the best possibility imo, is that he got pissed after criticism of how game 5 ended and figured "Screw y'all then - I aint even gonna shoot at all and see what happens.." I call it 'the diva theory'.... It's also been speculated that he may have gotten into it with another player - which would again, be the diva response...

I just want to understand what happened... I cant believe someone as good as he is could just fall apart like that - and we're talking to BEGIN a game - not 3 or 4 quarters in with fatigue...

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Harden has playoffs choke period. It was the time.

Asian Sensation and RyanB like this.
  7. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Other: Lil B curse resurrected

8. SemisolidSnake

First of all, thank you guys for making a multiple-selection poll. And a good one at that. I was expecting the typical radio button list of attempts at humor, but this is comprehensive, and there's definitely overlap in theories that makes check boxes a great idea. Kudos!

---

As for my own theories, I dunno, man. What struck me, personally, as I watched the entire game was that his attitude just fit perfectly with someone who just did NOT want to be there and wanted those 48 minutes to go by as fast as possible. An analogy that comes to mind is someone who really doesn't want to go to another meeting at work. They sit in the corner, say as little as possible so as not to provoke any additional discussion, check the time a lot, and look for every opportunity to just get out of the conference room. They just want it over with. That's what I saw in his attitude. His behavior just seemed so consciously muted to me.

Now, I can think of easy reasons why none of the Rockets would actually want to win that game. They know they're either going to lose the next game in another city or potentially win and get destroyed for four more games by Golden State. However, even if you do fantasize about just getting out the season right there, you can't actually indulge in making that desire a reality. That would be insane, and, yet, that's exactly what it looks like he did, to me. That's just how it came across.

I really want to know what happened, because it was unreal to watch.

ilovehtownbb, Easy, kjayp and 2 others like this.
  9. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Shea Serrano said that part of it may have been a "f*ck you" from him for all the bashing he got from game 5. I think he started cold and was just completely out of it after that.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This was what I saw in that game.
    I think the team had huge discussions after game 5, with a lot of players accusing Harden of not sharing the ball and losing them the game.

Harden didn't like that shiet and basically responded with a "here's the ball brehs, now do better than me. ya wanted it this way so deal with it".

Would also explain why D'Antoni looked distraught the whole game, he knew he couldn't do anything when the team had such a bad fallout.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe President Donald J. is fond of the city of Houston too.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am down with this theory but I think they are buddies even when things go wrong.

Nowadays players do care more about camaraderie than winning.

They probably said to Harden in a softe(ner) way: Let's circle the ball, and we shoot it. Let's get some stops.

Now nobody would know this outcome, Trevor Ariza scored 20 pts and that was the team high points.

MDA always looks distraught when things do not go his way..... I have seen this lifeless, priceless face expression hundred of times when he was a Lakers and Knicks coach!

#32 daywalker02, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    ilovehtownbb and kjayp like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i noticed even early on in game 6, pringles was sitting in his chair listless, while pop was off the bench pushing his team. difference between a killer and a choker w/ his eyes caught in the headlights

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Gotta wait for the MDA or Harden biography in a couple of years, really want to know what happened.

hakeem94 and RyanB like this.
  15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i figured it out! it is a concussion, but not a normal one. it was the ron artest elbow. after several years harden has finally lost his mind after getting elbowed hard int he head by ron. some concussions do take time to show.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bottom line is he quit.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  17. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

[​IMG]

malakas likes this.
  18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I get the feeling it was a reaction to all the hate he received for being a ballhogg at the end of game 5. He basically said. Ok I shoot too often??? I will show you all what happens when I do not shoot. Just to get back at all the backlash.

Kobe did something similar....

I hope that was not the case....

19. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Unfortunately, I believe that was the case. He sulked.
    Fortunately, that is preventable as he "matured".

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member