1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official PlayStation 4 LAUNCH Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep....every time a new system comes out.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's obviously a work in progress with the barebones PSN store and some weird kinks with the decoding(the bitstreaming doesn't work quite the way it should), but the system runs fast and quiet and Knack was a lot of fun. Although I'll probably sell that game the moment I finish it. Not much replay value there.

I was also very impressed with how fast the VUDU app ran on the PS4. Again, the decoding issue needs to be ironed out and it won't let me download movies for some odd reason, but it can stream video even better than my Oppo 103 Blu-ray player. And reportedly the PS4 has the ability to decode DTS HD-MA 7.1 audio with streaming video, so in the long run this will be a great device for watching movies online.

And I had no idea that the controller output sound. That was very cool when it was incorporated into Knack when you pick up relics.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I was unfortunate enough to end up with a brick. I'm very disappointed since I've been waiting for this for quite a while like so many others. My PS4 wasn't outputting a picture to the TV when I first plugged it up. I got it to work last night, but this morning the picture went out again and never returned. I just took it back to Best Buy and got a full refund. They didn't have any extra to exchange it and I'm not sending off to Sony so they can potentially refurbish it and send it back in a few weeks. I spent way too much money for this system and I want it brand spanking new. Maybe I'll get another one, maybe I'll wait a few weeks and get one after they address some of the issues with the HDMI and overheating, etc. that I've been reading about...or maybe just maybe I go Xbox1. We'll see what launch issues they have.

Glad I didn't sell my PS3 yet.

#103 vator, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

So your saying you sent two pizzas back? I hope they didn't mess with your food bruh!

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

So judging straight from the quick game while it's installing.... NBA 2k14 on the ps4 might be the greatest game ever.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can't get over how good it is at times. Beautiful

#106 REEKO_HTOWN, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

From what I could tell, yeah. Your apps/games are sorted by most recent usage (most recently used gets pushed to the left). I have the PlayStation camera, so I've been playing around with the voice commands. You could speed things up a bit with that (I guess the headset/mic works too?). There's a library tile, which I don't fully get. It seems to just have your downloaded apps/games...but your downloaded apps show up elsewhere too. This UI is a little easier to navigate (grid system, instead of one big horizontal row). I might almost prefer a library of all my games (and a separate one for apps?). Keep that to the left and use it to quickly navigate through your content maybe (throw in some filters/sorts for good measure)? I'd think that would be pretty simple.

I will admit that I can see their logic for keeping disc based games on the row, even if you don't have that disc in the system. While you wouldn't be able to start the game, the tiles allow you to see related content to the game, and theoretically, there could be some benefit to that. Though either way, I think the UI could use some tweaks. Just some organizational ones primarily to help the user get quickly to what he/she wants (filtering/sorting would d-o wonders, along with some manual way of organizing things perhaps).

FYI, I haven't really noticed any ads (not any more so than PS3). I guess they might be in the "What's New" section, but that's been up and down thanks to the servers. But even when it was up, didn't seem that bad.

The UI is growing on me a bit. It isn't nearly as flashy and as featured as XBO UI, but it seems pretty functional at doing what it needs to do...for the most part. Plenty of room to expand too. It is really slow at times, but I'll chalk that up to launch issues...for now.

Kept both actually. My pizza was fine, but I was getting a pizza for a family member, and his order kept getting messed up. They ended up getting it right in the end.

Anywho...had some more time with the PS4 and some games. Some more impressions.

Knack: Didn't play this too much. It didn't really strike me as a bad/horrible game, though it does seem like a launch title. Things I liked: visuals, various enemy designs/strategy, nice "growing" mechanic (you really do feel more powerful as you grow), and easy to pick up. Still not liking a lot of the voice acting (were they using Jennifer Hale for two women in the same room...at the start of the game?). Knack's voice still throws me off, as does his personality...but maybe he'll grow on me. I'm sure this is way too premature, but I think I will probably end up agreeing with what was said in this review:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5TEHI6PBrfs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lego Marvel Superheroes: Of the two "kid" games, I think I prefer this over Knack, although this is definitely a current-gen game ported to next-gen. But it does seem to look good, and while I didn't get very far, there just seems SO much here. Thanks to seclusion for getting me to check it out. This seems like a great game, and definitely recommend it to people, especially if you have kids and/or like the Marvel cast. Impressed with the writing/humor I experienced early on.

Killzone SF: Played on 30-45 minutes of this, and didn't even really get to any major fire fights. It sure is pretty though. Very pretty. Liking the story and atmosphere early on.

Flower: I got this on PS3, but only played a few levels. I think it is mostly the same game, but I swear it seems to control better (and of course, looks better in 1080p).

FIFA: I suck at soccer (having only played a couple hours of a previous FIFA game, and not really having any clue how strategy works in the game). Visuals are really clean and nice looking, but as I believe I said before, still not a great leap ahead I think (the models don't seem THAT much better than what you'd expect from PS3). Haven't played the PS3 version, but I think this is one of those "definitely get the PS4 version if you haven't played the PS3 version, but maybe skip it otherwise" kind of games. Of the EA Sports game, it might be the only PS4 game I recommend.

Conflict: Played just a bit to figure out what this one is all about. I really love the art style and setup for the game. Interesting gameplay mechanics. Seems unpolished though in some areas. I think this in from an indie developer (haven't looked, but I'd assume so). For free, I think it is probably a great little game to check out.

Resogun: Oh man...these guys are so good at these games.

More NBA 2K14: MyCareer is so cheesy, but they really are putting a lot of effort into it. At least it is funny cheesy. But with the servers down/having problems, it seems like I can't really do much with this I believe (seems all the actions require hitting their servers). Bleh. I've experienced a couple glitches/bugs with the game, mostly around the menus. I think I accidentally picked MyTeam (or maybe I just wanted to see what it was). It wouldn't let me go back to the main menu. I literally had to go through the effort of creating a team, just so I could exit out of it (and that's a lengthy process). Also, I created MyPlayer last night, but it kind of had me do parts of it again today. I guess I can blame that on their servers. Still loving the core game itself though. And oh so pretty. Still trying to figure out the voice commands (think the only one I'll use is "time out," not including the random technical I might get for poor language).

More Just Dance: I don't know why I keep coming back to this from time to time...and why am I saving every embarrassing video of my dance moves? :eek:

Think that covers the games....

Remote Play: I got my Vita out to check out this feature. I just used WiFi to set things up. It was a bit of a worst case kind of thing, but I thought I'd try out FIFA and NBA 2K14 on it. They were both playable, but I think there was a bit of noticeable lag. I'm not really good at quantifying lag, but I noticed I was usually getting "slightly late" with Harden on his shot, while I was usually getting "excellent" if I play directly on PS4. That's to be expected I suppose (60 FPS sports games are likely not ideal for remote play). Nevertheless, I enjoyed my time trying it out, and I guess that's all that matters. I could get used to the lag, and see myself using this out of convenience. I'm more bothered by the lack of L2 and R2 buttons (the touchpad on the back works a little better than I expected, but still hard to adapt to, at least for these games). I can imagine this work out really well for slower, more "lag-forgiving" games.

Think I have ~150GB or so used up already on my HDD.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

It's definitely beautiful, but the best thing to me is that it's the first sports game I've played that actually feels alive. The players actually have emotion.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

RC, what is your psn name? Glad you like Marvel.

10. RC Cola

RC_Cola. I thought I gave it somewhere, but looks like I didn't. I tend to be pretty lazy about that.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You gave it before, I just forgot where it was. I added you.

12. RC Cola

I thought I gave it in this thread or the other thread. I'm sure I gave it in some PSN thread, but searching for a 5-6 year old post isn't ideal.

Playing more Knack and enjoying it. Feels more strategic than a lot of games like this. Almost Dark Souls esque...for kids.

And Flower is so relaxing. I don't know why I didn't play more of it when I got it on PS3.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Flower is excellent. One of my favorite experiences from 'last gen'.

Lego games are simple but a lot of fun. Something my son and I can play together. Lots of nice nods for adults. The DC one has Superman, and when you jump into the air and start flying the classic Reeves Superman theme starts to kick in.

14. Swishh

Swishh Member

Can someone explain how MyTeam works for 2k14? I haven't played the mode ever before, but it sounds interesting. I started it up, and I got confused...not sure how to play / what to do.

15. RC Cola

I didn't really try it out, but it seems pretty straight forward. I think you just start it up, setup the team name you want, and you start off with some random collection of players (and maybe some other things). You'll probably have one star, a few starters, some bench players, etc. (i.e., you won't get Lebron, Harden, Dwight, etc., assigned to you, nor would Royce White be your best player). I assume you then play some games with your team. You probably collect more cards (or some form of currency), which you can then use to "buy" other players I think. Eventually, you can create that super team you want, and I guess play against the teams other people create online. Just speculating, but I think that's how that feature generally works.

I still like 2K, but its warts are really showing. Tying so much of the game to their servers is a really bad idea. Always online sounds great, until you have things like this. Then you can't even do basic things that have been part of these games for years.

I still hate that you can't skip the MyCareer cutscenes (and possibly whatever other cutscenes there are in the game). I can't believe 2K still does this. Final Fantasy and MGS let you skip cutscenes. Congratulations 2K, you are now the champion of horrible cutscenes that can't be skipped. This really kills a lot of my interest in experimenting with the MyCareer mode. The mode in general is pretty fun, although I don't really like the emphasis on scoring. I guess that's accurate to reality, but I don't want to be penalized for having a 6pt 16RB game just because my rival got 8pts and 2rbs (on 4-15 shooting). I wanted to specialize in rebounding and defense, but I'm having to play outside of my role just to meet these goals. I guess I could just not bother, but I wish you could emphasize certain things for your player (and play into that role). It feels like this has always been the case in this mode, although I admit it has gotten a little better.

I missed this originally, but you can see the list of voice commands in the menu under the "Advanced Controls" screen (under options I believe...one of the screens lets you press triangle to see it). There are a lot more than I expected. I believe you can do this with or without the camera (just use the included headset thingy instead, or your own I guess).

Played some Warframe today. It is kind of janky in some ways (camera and melee combat primarily), but it really seems like a lot of fun. There is a LOT of content there. I guess that's all to be expected from a F2P game, but I think I'll definitely be playing more of it. I definitely recommend people give it a shot since it is free. I downloaded Blacklight Retribution as well, but haven't had a chance to check it out.

Some numbers about the PS4's launch:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...s-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html
    FWIW, I think it took Sony 2-3 months before they were able to SHIP 1M PS3s to NA, so this is definitely very impressive. I don't recall numbers from many other launches, but this does seem substantially higher (of course, different situations...I think XBO will do quite well too).

edit: Oh geez....I didn't realize how poorly Wii U has been selling (~4M LTD). PS4 could be ahead in both NA and Europe pretty soon, assuming they're shipping a decent amount of systems to each region.

#115 RC Cola, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

This might be a dumb questions but how do you save a second user so that you dont have to type in the email address and password every time that you want to play two player games? It is getting really annoying...on COD specifically.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

To all the PS4 owners...how do you feel about the system now? Has the system met your expectations or do you feel a little underwhelmed? Does it give you the feel of next gen or does it feel like a ps3 on performance enhancing drugs? Interested to hear some opinions.

18. RC Cola

Feel like it has mostly met my expectations, though I've been tweaking those every step of the way. ~6 months ago, I'd have expected suspend/resume with games, so not having things like that is disappointing/underwhelming (although things like that will be coming eventually).

I suppose it is all semantics, but I could see it being described as just a PS3 with some enhancements. Take a PS3, make its games 1080p, improve the controller, improve some OS things (e.g., download/install in background, even on standby), better remote play, throw in share support, mobile app support, etc., and you might have the PS4. Is that a "next-gen experience," or just a better current-gen experience? I don't know. I could see that being debatable. Though over time, I'm sure it will be more and more obvious that this offers a lot more than a PS3.

Some games, like NBA 2K, definitely feel more next-gen than others. Or look more next-gen anyway. It still has some issues, but that has more to do with design than anything else. But I almost feel like the crowd models rival the PS3 player models. Or at least the coach models. I'm probably way off there, but I glanced at some crowd models and thought they looked pretty decent up close.

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

RC, your slipping.

PS4 sold over 1 million in the first 24 hours in NA. I think it's reported as being the fastest console to reach that goal.

A mod in Neogaf reported the PS4 has an extra low processor, 256MB DDR ram and 32 MB flash ram (for UI or video encoding?).

PS4 and AMD 290x GPU (their top of the line video card) share the same 8 ACE (Asynchronous Compute Engines).

Four more days and me and my buddy will see if we can pick up an Xbone on launch w/o a preorder for comparisons.

20. RC Cola

Well...what do you expect? I've been playing video games all weekend. :eek:

I did post this though, at the end of my last post.

I don't think this is new (more or less said this at the PS4 reveal). This processor is what handles a lot of the "background" tasks, and also helps the console perform some operations while in standby mode IIRC. Maybe the ram/storage wasn't known, though I feel like I saw those numbers before (and something along those lines could probably be assumed).

It is a nice hardware design, and better than reserving some resources from the main CPU, GPU, and RAM.

While this is true, it shouldn't be taken out of context. PS4's GPU can't match the ~5 TFLOPs of the 290x GPU (among its other hardware improvements).

But yes, this is a nice GPU enhancement for increasing GPU efficiency, which will help the PS4 down the line as developers fine-tune their game engines. Note that this will help for rendering as well as GPU compute tasks, such as audio, physics, etc.