1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Phillies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 22, 2008.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I saw the way that about 15 people jumped down your throat the other day just for offering your opinion.

You didn't use foul language or offend anybody. You just stated your opinion. I didn't agree with you but I wasn't going to slam you just for stating your opinion.

Certain people just love to gang up and slam people when they don't agree with them. I think it makes them feel good knowing that they are part of a group even if it is at the expense of another person.

That really degrades the quality of this forum.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

Poor you.

I'm not ganging up with anyone. But this is becoming a study in drama queenism...both about the 'stros and this forum.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Thanks, again.

See ya guys. Have a nice weekend.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

yep...not sure which one you're talking about though...in the past week, i've been slammed and ganged up on for: not having confidence in brian moehler and chris sampson, saying that valverde didnt get hurt too badly, and for not thinking that espn did any wrongdoing in their interview with tejada from last month.

i've come to understand that the vast majority of the posters on this BBS are unrelenting homers - "cheerleaders", as you said. you just have to accept it for what it is i guess.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

help me out..where did you get slammed for not having confidence in moehler?? people disagreed with you and there was some discussion of semantics...but I don't recall you getting slammed in that regard.

yes, if we don't agree with you, we're all cheerleaders. if we're excited about the team, we're all cheerleaders. we must continually find fault in our team while they win and be objective to be proper.

why don't you drama queens find somewhere else to b**** then? if everyone's so mean and nasty and ganging up on you, why stick around?

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

hmm....there was a boob making smartass continuing to make smartass comments about it as early as this morning (5 days later).

and, i'm not complaining about it...i accept the cheerleaders for who they are. i welcome the slamming and ganging up on, if that's where you get your jollies.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

yes...that's what i come here for..ganging up. see all the ganging up going on right now? it's all of me...against the drama queens. i conspired with myself.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

you're starting to lose it some dude. i'm gonna hang up and listen.

enjoy your weekend.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

'night, 'night, sugar.

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

It sucks they had to lose this game . Three out of four would have been nice . I think they need to address the bullpen issue quickly though . Maybe they could bring up Cassell , send Sampson to the bullpen , and Borkowski to the State Pen for impersonating a MLB pitcher .

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

MadMax,

Stop ganging up on people all by yourself. It's not fair.

The reality is, this offense has the potential to be even better. We've seen what's happened lately with Bourn swinging a good stick, and Wigginton has been crushing the ball this homestand. We're still getting nothing from Towles -- he hit 4 homers in his first 13 games and has hit 0 in his last 25.

Chacon, Backe, and Wandy have pitched like middle of the rotation pitchers. If Oswalt is a #1, that's perfectly fine.

Villarreal was a real positive today. 2 perfect innings, only 18 pitches, 5 meek groundouts and a routine flyout.

Our team ERA coming into the game was 4.33 -- good for 9th in the NL. Definitively average. If you want to play the what if game, if Roy Oswalt had an ERA of 3.19 (his career ERA) instead his current 5.61, our team ERA would be 3.97, good for 5th in the NL.

The rotation isn't Clemens-Pettitte-Oswalt, and the bullpen isn't Lidge-Dotel-Wagner. But those teams didn't have Tejada-Berkman-Lee.

We have the guy leading the league in runs, doubles, homers, RBI, steals, slugging, OPS, and saves.
    We've also got the guys who are 2nd and 3rd in hits, 2nd in RBIs, 2nd in BA, and 3rd in OBP.

If Roy O gets going and we can keep the bullpen healthy, this team will be fine. We're not only 1 game out of the Central lead, but also 1 game out of the wild card -- despite playing fewer home games than other current contenders.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

ok, i already feel bad for being a jackass. sorry for that.

13. Refman

Refman Member

This is funny.

Let me tell you, BrooksBall, why this is funny to me. I have known MadMax for a decade. I have spent hours talking baseball with Max. He is always a fan...always hopeful...but at times, he has been FAR from a "cheerleader." I am pretty sure that Max has forgotten more about baseball than you will ever hope to know.

The fact is that, except for Oswalt, our rotation has performed up to expectations for their slot. It is an average rotation with an above average offense. That has equated to one game out of first place. You can choose to dig your head in the sand and state that the wheels have fallen off...but you are likely wrong.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

haha...let the gang be assembled!

you guys can't stop yourselves if you tried.

nieve sent down, cassel up.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

I am so sick of hearing the word "cheerleader." Jeez, just because you're not a pessimist doesn't make you a cheerleader.

I'd say the reality of the Astros is this:

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

source

[rquoter]
    Astros send Nieve to Round Rock, recall Cassel

By BRIAN MCTAGGART
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Astros reliever Fernando Nieve was sent to Class AAA Round Rock following Sunday's 15-6 loss to Philadelphia after giving up four runs without recording an out. Jack Cassel, who was 4-1 with a 2.17 ERA in seven starts for the Express, was called up.

"I'm happy because my arm feels good," Nieve said. "I know I didn't do the job that was expected from me, and I'll just go down and keep working and try to get some consistency in my stride. I hope to be back soon."

Nieve, who was called up May 16 for the first time since 2006, appeared in three games for the Astros and allowed six earned runs in three innings. Cassel made two starts for the Astros last month and was 1-0 with a 4.11 ERA.

[/rquoter]

I'm glad my guy Cassel is back, I assume out of the pen this time. I really think he can be a quality sinkerball/groundball guy. Not flashy, but effective. Of course I thought the same of Kirk Saarloos, so what the hell do I know?

I guess Nieve gets the blame for today's loss?

17. T Rex

T Rex Member

Gotta love baseball and their stats.

In the past 10 games (involving the Rangers, Cubs and Phillies) the Astros have been outscored by a total of 66-44, which is obviously a considerable average deficit of 2.2 runs per game. But how bad was their record during this stretch: how bout 5-5!! Yes we'll get blown out of a few games like we did vs. Texas (16-8) and Philadelphia (15-6) , but they only count for 1 game. And as long as we keep wining the close ones: 3-0 in 1 run games, 2-1 in 2 run games during these 10 games, this team will be in contention til the end.

Today's game was a throwaway.....the guys had played 20 straight days and our bullpen was exhausted and ineffective. We'll be fine.