1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Paolo Banchero as a ORL Magic thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 26, 2022.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Oh well man, let’s keep rebuilding.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i blame @Yung-T breh for overhyping my mans ranchero that the magic lost their minds and picked him #1

B-Bob and Yung-T like this.
  3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that he's pretty likely to be better than Jalen/Jabari...maybe he's going to put up better counting stats on a team where the ball is in his hands all the time, but it's only like five games in and the Magic are literally the worst team in the league.

There's no proof that he's going to be a winning player (then again, none of our guys can be proven to be that either yet). Let's give it at least half a season first

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

There is no proof of anything, except he has show elite handles, workable shots, has 5 straight games of 20 points. Has scored more than any player in modern history going back to Durant with pro level moves.

He passes the eye test and the stats tests. And he is doing all this not with hot shooting.

Sure you can argue for 'no proof', but what he has shown greatly exceeds any players from this and last year in their first few games. There is no point in crying over Paolo, we were drafting #3, we didn't pass on him nor did we have a chance at picking him.

Mental gymnastics will not Jabari better (or worse). It is what it is. This thread is just used to follow Paolo's career given that a small minority of us fell in love with the idea of Paolo.

Roomba and Jontro like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL sengun would have easily put up these stats if only silas let him....

tinman likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The comments this summer have shown pretty well that a lot of people on CF and Rockets twitter are just plain bad at evaluating players and knowing what kind of tools make you good in basketball from day one.

The points brought up to dismiss Paolo never made any sense, especially when you see how shitty the Rox roster is.
    And even if Jabari played well, he's more of the 3&d guy you put on an already well-functioning team instead of the player you get in hopes of leading your team into the playoffs as a top2 option.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL this demon wouldnt put half this stats if silas were to play him 6 minutes a night and lucas started to teach him how to shoot fts and 3pts

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. i3artow i3aller

11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Again with your "I'm better than y'all at evaluating players" high horse ****.
    It's only been 5 games into the season and Banchero plays on the worst team in the league with an incredibly high usage rate. No **** he's going to put up stats. No team gives a **** about playing against the Magic and those teams go in thinking it's a free win against the Magic without even game planning for anyone.

Can you guys just calm your ****ing horses and wait a few seasons and at least until some of these rookies get exposed to playoff basketball before we even declare who is the better player or not? You'd figure people have been around this rodeo long enough to know better and not get cocky as hell 5 games into an NBA season... did you all forget about Tyreke Evans and MCW?

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, and more than all of that, what does it matter? The Rox did not have the first pick. We did not "miss" on Banchero. We did the best we could at our draft position and at least our dude isn't out for the season like a certain other high draft pick.

More importantly still, I hope Banchero gets a tricked out Ranchero, my favorite American car ever. (Thanks to @Jontro for reminding me.)

[​IMG]

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This 100 million times. I read a lot of other fan forms, realgm; even as a Rockets fans, I do think we have one of the dumbest fan bases in terms of takes and evaluating talent.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's not the point. You still have to be adept at several skills to do what he's doing, even if you put Jabari into that team he'd still not be able to put up big numbers because he doesn't have the skillset atm to break down defenses in a variety of ways or help the team on offense via playmaking if his shot isn't falling.

That's not how the NBA or any professional first division sports league works, but if it makes you feel better then alright.

But people said Jabari had a higher floor, his skills immediately translating and would play "with a chip on his shoulder" out of the gate, while talking down Paolo who always had the better skillset for this league to start strong.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes they couldn't have picked him, just saying the people that heavily talked down Paolo's skills or hyped up Jabari, without really watching his college tenure, maybe shouldn't have been this vocal and attacked others that felt different or brought up valid points.

B-Bob and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  16. B-Bob

That's all fair. I've never understood internet pissing matches and didn't follow some of the chatter you're describing.

I was just (overly maybe) optimistic about "our guy" Jabari. But I definitely wanted Paolo to fall to us initially. He always looked ready to me. Cheers.

jiggyfly, i3artow i3aller and Yung-T like this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm probably extra harsh or pi**ed because me and others got attacked hard for our takes after the draft and got called stupid haters etc, tbf.
    Gotta rep myself for a bit. :oops:

Verbal Christ and jiggyfly like this.
  18. B-Bob

Just sounds like it was supercharged by folks wanting a magical unicorn in our draft. But, you know...

[​IMG]
    :D

i3artow i3aller and Yung-T like this.
  19. Spooner

Spooner Member

I’m a rockets fan and team Jabari now so this will be my only Banchero post here. I seem to be more encouraged by Jabari than most here at the moment fwiw.

Banchero has won at every level through middle school. Multiple state championships in multiple sports. I’d at least consider that as a promising sign. We never had a chance at Banchero so it is what it is. I will say this - all of those people who went with status quo in evaluating talent will never own up to being wrong. What else is new. Followers are weak minded. Also the fit argument is pretty dumb. We all see Jabari wide open throughout the game. All of us except kpj that is. It would really help this team to have an actual play initiator. What did I say would happpen? It is happening. All of it. But hey since we didn’t draft Paolo, at least now we can play Sengun….off the bench.

I wonder though, how are all of those tweets clutch made about him going to age?

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

We absolutely did but followers won’t have any accountability. It’s nothing compared to the hate I received when I had the audacity to say Linsanity was too small a sample size and likely an aberration so I’m used to it by now. At least you can take solace in the fact that you are capable of critical thinking. An increasingly rare skill!

The hater thing which I got a lot of - who honestly makes draft boards based on players they hate? It is easily seen through BS. Lmao