1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Panthers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2021.

1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Go Panthers. I have that defense on my fantasy/

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And VC it’s real funny you prop up Stroud but knock Mills? Similar skill sets, with Mills being bigger and faster.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

I'm just putting these numbers up because being a rookie quarterback in his first start ain't easy.
    24 yr old Wilson
    18/34, 153yards/ 1TD, 1 Int.

If Millls averages around 1,000 yards 7 tds and 4 ints in the four weeks Taylor is out, that will show me enough to consider keeping the Mills train going for the rest of the season.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You will get plenty of points. I’m shocked the line hasn't moved over 7.5

BossHogg713 likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My concern is that Mills HIMSELF prior to being drafted stated his "mental" ability as his strength. He does not make the appropriate reads or progression most of the time, no sign of presnap adjustments (maybe not his fault). Physically sure he is tall and has a cannon arm, but he is easy to take down in the pocket and offers little in terms of escapeability.

I've been hoping that he would at least flash some WOW moments that would make it easier to support, but he only makes routine plays and is a check down monster. If he doesnt start to stretch the field DCs in the NFL are going to eat him alive.

Hopefully Tyrod Taylor comes back soon (Im shaking my head as I write this by the way).

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The best possible outcome for the Texans is for Mills to show he has potential and does well, while still losing. Then Watson situation gets resolved and gets decent return. That’s about the quickest way to rebuild.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen several moments where he escapes the pocket and shows some wiggle. Along with throwing on the run.
    He did it this past game.
    Yes, it is a worry that the mental side seems slow. He’s a rookie still.

He is literally faster and more mobile than Stroud, by a lot.
    The dude ran a 4.6 40, even if it was off a tenth at pro day a 4.7 is more than mobile enough. That’s Deshaun speed straight line.
    Add in that he had a sub 7 shuttle. He has feet and arm along with size.
    Still doesn’t mean he’ll be a good quarterback

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think it was his very first throw in the preseason was a wow moment, escaped pocket and rolled out strong side, threw a 40 yd dart on the run that Miller couldn’t reel in. Placed where only he could catch it

Nook and desihooper like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lets compare him to the guy who he's supposed to supplant - Deshaun Watson. It took Watson 3 professional games to demonstrate to everyone that he was the franchise guy. Would it be unfair to hold similar standards for Mills? If he's special like some guys may seem to induce then the cream will rise and he should at least start showing some "special" type plays. How does he impact winning? Obviously he's not going to bust out on 50 yard TD runs or anything like that, but Watson was not afraid to throw the ball deep as a rookie. I think Mills would benefit with some of that rookie courage instead of "playing it safe" and it also falls back on my argument about true pedigree first round talent vs projects. Mills is a project - you cant say he's more than that with only 12 college games under his belt. What is Mills claim to fame so far? Watson was a champion at the high school level and at college. Mills doesnt flash the Mahomes skill set that everyone looks to when you bring up NCAA trophies - so what exactly is there to be inspired by and looking forward to by coddling Mills past this year?

Im fine watching him this season, but for me he would have to show MUCH MUCH MORE than what he's shown so far to consider him as a franchise QB.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would have been a great busted play, hitting Cooks (against CLE) would have been a great example of winning from the pocket. He'll need both to excel in the NFL (identifying the blitzer and throwing hot is also essential for his own survival).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He took several deep ball chances this past game. Not on the same page with receivers by any stretch.
    I’m not saying he has franchise QB written on him at all. I’m saying he has the athletic makeup to be one.
    And no, not everyone thought Deshaun was the franchise after 3 games. I personally thought he COULD be special, but had to get more accurate with placement, not make stupid plays that lead to turnovers.
    Last year was the first year he truly did that after a regression year in year 3.

What’s stopping Mills from having a 50 yd run? He’s as fast as Watson is, specially now after Watson had his last knee surgery.
    He’s faster than Daniel Jones and other scrambling QBs.

Nook and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt. That’s just the way the game is played unless you can process at speeds of Brady.
    Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes types that beat you with the arm but can also beat you with the legs are the future. But arm talent needs to be first or you get Lamar.

desihooper likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Field Vision. I guess his 40 speed doesnt translate. He looks plodding and unsure when to use his legs. He looks like a prototypical pocket passer in a "mobile QB" era. Watson played faster than his 40 speed. He looked effortless getting around an edge - similar to Tyrod. When I see Mills do that, then I may start to see things your way.

Not a bad thing to have differing opinions. As always thanks for the civil exchange.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Watson is elusive. He’s not fast like Tyrod, Kyler, Lamar or even Taysom.

To me Mills looks like he moves at just the speed he needs to, doesn’t over do anything. I can see where that looks plodding.
    He had some escapes this last game that were solid and showed some wiggle.

If his times speeds in 40 and shuttle translate, be will be a modern QB. If not, he’ll bust.

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Looks like another Texans spread bet dub. Going to wait for more value.

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Lol, no. He’s a pretty average at best QB. This is coming from somebody who had the terrible pleasure of watching him while attending SC. I don’t get the hype at all.

Lovie Smith going to make this guy commit a few turnovers. Good ole PAC 12 bout on Thursday night.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If he's averaging 1000 yards, 7 tds and 4 interceptions over 4 weeks, that will truly be historic. I predict the Texans go 4-0 in those games and Mills to continue to start.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Panthers -350 easy money.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

In game 3 Deshaun played extremely well against New England at home, a team who's coach is notorious for absolutely destroying young QBs, just ask Darnold, Zach Wilson, Herbert, and Daniel Jones. In hindsight, that NE game proved that Watson had stardom in his future.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t get me wrong, I was excited as anyone with Deshaun. But I wasn’t ready to put him up with the greats until he proved it. Last season was proof he could be a good quarterback, still don’t think he’s the type to carry a team on his back.
    That’s all a moot point.
    Mills is yet to be determined, and most likely he will fail. Percentages aren’t great for any QB to be top 3 in the game.