1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Padres @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 21, 2008.

1. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Ok, one more question. Is it a save OPPORTUNITY. When you get shown saves/opportunities does that include innings pitched in the 6th. Because I don't understand how it can count as an opp. Obviously only one save can be given out per game, so if Brocail comes in in the 7th on a 1 run lead and holds the lead, he gets a hold, not a save right? But if he gives up the lead it's a blown save? So when it says saves/opportunities someone can actually blow a save without actually having the opportunity to earn a save? That sucks for them I suppose.

2. The Cat

The Cat Member

Yup -- that's how the stat is calculated. It's a joke, but that's the way it is.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Valverde gets charged for the run and the bs, but the run won't be earned.

4. The Cat

The Cat Member

Yeah, that's exactly right.

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

you only earn a save if you pitch in the 9th.
    all other innings are called Holds. but in all innings their called blown saves if you give up lead.

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I looked it up. We scored 10+ runs 11 times last season but never back-to-back.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Ah but by that logic Backe would have already blown the save when he gave up the lead in the 6th. What a screwed up stat.

8. Buck Turgidson

If a pitcher comes in with the lead in the 6th-8th, it's a save opportunity because he *could* finish the game & get a save.

9. Nick

Nick Member

I kinda wish they did away with the saves stat... it definitely changes how managers manage the game these days (doing the "assigned role" bullpen, which basically limits good pitchers to 1 inning appearences).

Damn you Tony LaRussa.

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

No, because he was the starting pitcher. starters cant get a save because they didnt come into the game with a lead. you can't have a W/L and a S/BS.

11. Nick

Nick Member

But if he gets the hold (and not the save), he doesn't get awarded the "save opportunity."

12. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Yeah, but my point is that if he pitches 6th,7th and 8th and holds the lead the entire time, he doesn't get a save. But if he gives up the lead in that time, he gets a blown save. Not really an "opportunity" as such. If that's your definition of an opportunity, I'd hate you to be my employer :D

13. Buck Turgidson

And thus it's caused relief pitcher salaries to skyrocket.

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Valverde won't get the run, but since he was in the game when the lead was lost - he gets the blown save.

I think Brocail might get a hold, because he came into the game when his team had the lead, and left it the same way. But I don't know the ins and outs of that one.

BTW - by my figuring, Tejada has hit 14/27 with 2 2B, 2HR and 9 RBI since the details of his "dark and shadowy" past were bravely exposed by E:60. Someone should see if he has anymore secrets - maybe an overdue library book, an unpaid parking ticket, perhaps he crossed the street without looking both ways once.

15. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Haha if it makes him hit like this, I'll get right on that...

16. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, makes since don't it? I misread john's post that I replied to.

17. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Member

Well I know that, but still using that logic, that if you cough up the lead you get charged for the blown save, then Backe should essentially get a blown save. But obviously the starter can't get charged for it, but a reliever who comes into the game with a man on 3rd and less than 2 outs, does his job but still gives up a run, gets charged for a bs, instead of the man who put him in that situation in the first place. Just trying to point out the absurdity here.

If you can only get a save in the ninth, then you should only be able to blow a save in the 9th. Maybe they should come up with a new stat...the blown hold or something.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Finally, Valverde gets a 1-2-3 inning.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

wouldnt change anything at this point in time. managers dont manage the final innings of games based on a stat.

that's like saying managers start their "starting pitchers" just to give them the best chance at the win stat. pitchers have their roles in bullpens, and the save stat doesn't determine them.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In this case Brocail could not receive a blown save because he entered into a non-save situation (4+ run lead).

At times it is absurd. Just like getting a save if you pitch the 9th with a 3 run lead and give up 2 runs. Or coming in with a 10-5 lead, bases loaded and two outs and get the third out.