1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Padres @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 27, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Member

Hopefully this doesn't hurt Lidge's rhythm. Second inning of a non-save situation in a game that for all intents and purposes was already over... hopefully this doesn't carry over.

2. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

nope. i said being the all time leader in blocked shots is infinitely more impressive than being a member of the 3,000 hit club.

and once again, you brainless fool, i dont think either are "important". they are individual milestones in a team sport.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Holy Fock!

4. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

oh, sorry....forgot to add that you missed the entire point of the comparison!

5. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Yeah, there was really no reason to throw him a second inning. He got his work in, Garner should have sat him down.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

So, are you trying to say that playing Burke over Biggio this season would lead, directly or indirectly, to an Astros championship? You're right, 3,000 hits is something a franchise without a ring can hang it's hat on. But it's not as if we're holding back our next superstar so Biggio can further cement his legacy. We weren't going to win anything this year with Burke instead of Biggio. Burke isn't going to step in a lead the team next year either. If Burke ever wins a championship, he will probably be a very small part of that team.

7. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

no, i'm saying they put burke's development and "finding out about him" on hold for almost 2 seasons, and therefore put getting the best possible team on the field on the backburner for almost 2 seasons, so a player could pursue an individual milestone.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

But would you rather have the remote possibility that there MIGHT be a slight chance that playing Burke more would lead to a championship somewhere in the unforeseeable future

- or -

let Biggio get 3,000 hits, cementing himself as the first Astro to go into the HOF.

If your point is that championships>individual milestones, that great. But IMO, Burke will never make a significant contribution to an Astros championship and him starting the entire year isn't going to change that. And if that's the case, then you might as well let Biggio get 3,000 and accomplish something the club can be proud of.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

lol........

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Maybe the Rockies will trade us back just Buchholz for Jennings. What a disaster of a trade.

Is Jennings hurt? He's throwing 86-87mph. I remember him being 91-92 in the past.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jennings was a massive mistake by Purpura.

I watched AAA hitters eat him up at RR....not impressed at all.

DD

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

i don't know... that was no ordinary "bad" performance - how do you sell your fan base on acquiring him after that debacle - "we landed a record breaker!!!"? i know you're trying to win games, not fans, but...

btw, i didn't see the game - why was jennings left in that long? all 11 runs? anyone else think garner was sending a bit of a message to drayton to be sure and fire the guy who acquired the talent, not the one forced to play it?

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Ric, DaD. This is a little off topic but did you guys see that trade that the Rangers just made with Atlanta? I mean, this is the kind of deal I would like to see the Astros make. The details are as follows:

The Rangers sent Mark Teixeira (Scott Boros client) & LHRP Ron Mahay to Atlanta for catcher-first baseman Jarrod Saltalamacchia and three minor leaguers: infielder Elvis Andrus, 19-year-old right-hander Neftali Perez and a player to be named later. Saltalamacchia is the prize here because he is a catcher with excellent offensive skills. I seem to recall somewhere that the Astros were interested in getting him at one time.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who do you consider trading for that?

I'm not ready to give up on a team that has a core of Berkman, Oswalt, Pence and Lee. With a core like that, you retool, not rebuild, IMO.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think first you have to get some pitching in here, and I do like the trade the Rangers made, but who would we give up?

As for pitching, outside of Oswalt, there is not a single starter you can count on......

And the two big off season acquisitions....Woody and Jennings have been less than stellar (and that is putting it mildly).

I do like how Bruntlet has been looking at SS and his bat is better than AEs......but Munson or Ausmus at catcher is stop gap at best.

DD

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

the astros have a catcher in their system named j.r. towles. thru 826 ML abs, there are towles #s: .300/27/134/.400/.477. compare that to saltalamacchia: .273/46/204/.369/.453 in 1,346 minor league abs.

towles is on the same power pace with much better #s in every other category. i know nothing of their defensive skills.

and behind towles is last year's first round pick, max sapp. the astros are OK (on paper) at catcher. what they lack is starting pitching, everyday players at 2b, 3b and RF/CF (depending where pence winds up), better overall team defense and a lead-off hitter. just about the last thing they need to do is go out and acquire a catcher.

they also don't have a player like texieria to deal, unless you want to blow this thing up and trade berkman. but a) he's 31; b) making a boatload of cash; c) having a down year. so i'm not entirely sure you'd get a better deal, meaning you net one unproven, ML-ready position player, one low-level everyday prospect and two pitching prospects... for lance frickin' berkman. i'll pass.

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

2 of the 3 - lee has been as advertised.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think you forgot the guy near the top of the list for most RsBI in the NL. I'd say Lee has been stellar.

I know there are pieces to add, but you give me that core of players (hopefully you can add Lidge to that) and I'm building around them. I'm not giving them up to another team for some prospects. If it was just two of the four, maybe.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

That's the rub I suppose. The Rangers were able to move Texeira who was not going to resign there anyway (Boros client, Boros client) and is one of the better players in the American League. The Astros really didn't have anything to offer them outside of maybe Brad Lidge and that would entail blowing everything up and starting over which I'm not sure is the right thing to do. I do recall that the Astros were interested in Saltalamacchia at one time who could play catcher or 1st base which is why I found this trade interesting.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We just didn't have the pieces unless we were willing to part with one of the big 5. Not sure Lidge would've counted anyway.

The more I think about the trade this weekend, the more I think it sucks. Of course, that all depends on what we do in the next couple days with regards to Lamb/Loretta.