1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Orioles @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He is coming off a season where at age 25, where he won a Silver Slugger Award, was in the top 10 in MVP voting, was a finalist for the Gold Glove Award.... had over 5 WAR, and hit 38 homers with 20 stolen bases, almost 40 doubles and had an OPS of .850; all while playing like 1/3 the season hurt.

It is fair to criticize his lack of effort in Chicago, his health and lack of interest - but I don't think that his recent production issues is because he is no longer good or because he is old and "lost it".

He is 26 years old - he basically is a top 10 talent in all of baseball and has issues playing hard or being interested on a bad team.

Honestly - getting out of Chicago is the best bet for him going forward. He will be away from Yohan Moncada, he won't have an excuse to see Yasiel Puig as often and he hopefully will be motivated more than now.

2. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I agree with others. Want no part of another retread from Chicago White Sox. Not willing to get screwed again. Regardless of the upside.

Besides what is wrong with the group of outfielders we are winning with now even with Tucker on the extended DL?

4. Buck Turgidson

Saying that White Sox players are off the board because of a different former White Sox player is nonsensical weirdness.

JeeberD, raining threes, Nook and 4 others like this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think there is tons to love about Robert.

The problem is that there are a few red flags that should likely lower the price some but won't.

Having him pairing up w/ Yordan and hanging w/ Dubon, Altuve, the gang that is the Latin Starters etc could be really good for him.

If he played 1b, I think he would be a near perfect fit and the cost would be justified.

The difference between him and the Dubon/Singleton platoon is way better than him and Meyers.

I can't see the White Sox settling for what is actually fair or another team not giving a king's ransom.

Htown Stros and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah, I’d like to know at what point the people saying this are OK with us trading or signing someone from the White Sox.

Is this an indefinite restriction? If so, there’s a lot of teams I guess we can’t sign from or trade with. The Brewers (Carlos Gomez and Fiers), Padres (Woody Williams), and Jays (Jim Clancy) are off limits apparently.

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Interesting point of view. Coming from someone who posts some of the weirdest and nonsensical stuff I have ever seen on the internet. You definitely know a lot about weirdness and nonsense. So you may be right who knows.

Stephen66 and Houstunna like this.
  8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I kept hearing the same thing about Ohio State and QB`s.....................and look how that turned out for us!!

9. Buck Turgidson

Woody Williams is far from the worst trade (or FA signing) the Astros ever made with San Diego.

#1309 Buck Turgidson, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
  10. Buck Turgidson

What does Jose Abreu have f***all to do with the players currently in their organization?

11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Considering we signed him as a free agent, that would be accurate.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Brilliant! So to revise:

Signing Woody Williams is far from the worst transaction the Astros ever made with a Padre or The Padres.

#1312 Buck Turgidson, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    Htown Stros likes this.
  13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Uhhh.. not sure what people aren’t seeing in Robert. If he’s available and the deal is fair you have to do it. A change of scenery will benefit him massively.

The dude is a stud.

Snake Diggit, Nook and IdStrosfan like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Member

Let's trade a couple of DSL prospects and a bag of Louisvilles for Roberts?

Stephen66 likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Well having restrictions are better than having most-favored nation status with teams that our GMs used to work for... e.g. Ed Wade with Philadlephia... or where our former GMs end up... e.g. Hunsicker with Tampa. On that note, I'll gladly accept the Braves and Blue Jay castaways.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Rock Block likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Dude - if you want Robert to play first base, I am sure he will do it. I think the fact that he plays centerfield, and at a high level (usually) is a real positive for us. If the Astros want to put Alvarez at DH, they can roll out a defensive outfield of Robert, Meyer and Tucker.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree. I just think the cost will make it prohibitive.

Imagine:

baseball reference lists Kyle Tucker and Julio Rodriguez as his 2 closest comps. But he's a year younger than Tucker, plays CF, and is controlled for 3 more years at under $20M AAV.

He is a difference maker- when he's on the field

htownrox1 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

S!!t, man, you must be new to the internet.

I'd love so see some examples, though.

20. Buck Turgidson

Robert has played 4 innings over 2 games at 1B in his life, one game when he was 15 and one when he was 16...in Cuba.