1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Asik, Morris, filler for Batum and Orlando Johnson whenever possible?

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Didn't really address my main point though, that Lin and Monta are both guys who need the offense to run through them and dominate the ball. I think they limit each other's value when you have them both on the floor at the same time.

I think our two guard should be more like, hate to say it, but Courtney Lee. My "perfect world" roleplayer wings to put next to Dwight would be Lee and Batum. Great athletes who defend, run the floor, and knock down open jumpers/drive into open lanes without needing the offense to run through them.

3. carayip

carayip Member

Not sure about that. One year rental of Dwight is certainly not worthy of Jeremy Lamb.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's Dwight Howard...

5. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Asik will be a nice trade asset at the deadline,if we get Dwight/Bynum.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Are you guys kidding me? We are talking about Dwight ****ING Howard!!! It's not like we are talking about Rudy Gay. We are talking about trading for the best center in the league. We can speculate that he will be a rental, but all signs point that he wants a 5 year deal at maximum raises. If we never take a risk, we are always going to end up in this mediocrity we are currently in. We are talking about taking a high risk, with INSANELY high reward. The best defensive center in the league.

We know Morey can build a team around him. I am certain we will convince him to stay with the Rockets. You take the risk because there are no other teams out there with the cap space that Dwight would possibly want to go to. Maybe Dallas, maybe, but that's it. Who else can attract him. Certainly none of the LA franchises nor NY franchises. None of them have the pieces to provide anything significant. It would probably be between Atlanta, Dallas and Houston when he makes a choice. I'll take my chances.

1 person likes this.
  7. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

I think luxury tax will be a major factor here. It's possible that Lakers might be able to move Bynum and Gasol out to create space for Howard. Let's not forget that Kobe has at most two years left and Howard could be the next big superstar in LA.

Houston does have a chance, a very remote one at that.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA
    Let me toss out this idea... what if Omer Asik becomes the next Marcin Gortat? - Not saying he's anywhere close to Marc, but what if?

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Even if LA gets rid of Bynum and Gasol they still don't have room for a max contract. Kobe + Nash + Artest + Blake = $51M. You're talking about them getting rid of Gasol, Bynum, Artest, and Blake without taking salary back. Farfetched.

Houston doesn't have a "remote" chance to re-sign Dwight in the offseason if we trade for him. We have the inside track. Better than 50%.

10. leroy

leroy Member

Based on what evidence? 5 Summer League games?

Look, I get the hesitance when there's no commitment from Howard should a deal go down. But we all have to stop pretending that the Rockets are sending back equal talent. The top center in the game vs a kid who had a nice run in the Summer League against other kids.

Joey Dorsey led the SL in rebounds...how'd that work out?

11. ashiin

ashiin Member

I would be completely satisfied

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

lol. That's an extreme reach. Asik will likely be a better version of Perkins.

13. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

......On a expiring contract

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

No risk, no gain

15. kb87

kb87 New Member

It's cute how all of you Rocket fans are whining about teams avoiding the offer sheets.

Do you know why the Knicks/Bulls have avoided it and made it complicated for you? Look at the ABSURD contracts you're giving these mid-tier player. And not only are you overpaying them for the entirety of the deal, you're BACKLOADING contracts to prevent other teams from resigning their player out of fear of going over the luxury threshold.

You guys complain that teams are abusing the system when that's EXACTLY what your general manager has done by signing Lin/Asik. Overpaying mid-tier players, backloading contracts to scare other teams and being stupid. Have fun paying those two guys 30 MILLION DOLLARS in a couple of years. I'm sure that'll be worth it ahahah.

16. Pete the Cheat

I think this is a fair assessment. Gortat showed plenty of explosiveness on the offensive end even in Orlando.

I haven't seen any consistency out of Asik on offense as of yet outside of creating extra possessions.

17. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

No but you guys are right though....Rockets should do everything they can to get him here but i think they know they are in a really good position for the future and dont want to screw it up so there is a fine line that they have to come to hince why no deal has been done, Morey still wants flexibility.....Orlando is thinking more along the lines of you guys who are so ready to give up guys like Dmo, Parson, Lamb those are the guys that need to stay :(

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah the comp is kind of silly. Gortat is an offensive oriented player, Asik is a defensive oriented player.

Value-wise I could see it happening. Asik improves his offense somewhat, shows that he can rebound and defend at an elite level even with big minutes, suddenly you've got a walking double double who protects the rim like a beast. I'd imagine that's what Morey is hoping... if Asik winds up playing big minutes, which he may not if we get Dwight.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Its mind boggling how people forget about the impact of a legit superstar.

20. LoyalRocket

LoyalRocket Member

Dont let it boggle too much