1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. conquistador#11

what does it tell you about asik,as a players, when the gm and the front office still want to match this "crazy" contract? And they are the ones that would play him for 15 minutes if they do match. Asik is worth it. He is a legit presence and only the close minded or those that hate Maury neglect what an impact a player that good at defense can have on a team.

2. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Where do you guys see him compared to Kendrick Perkins? Similar? Better?

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

From the Urban Dictionary:

1. McFart
    (n) a very lethal expulsion of gas through the anus, characterized by being extremely warm and quiet, and is often used to strip paint

(v) {-ed,-ing} to let a McFart

McDonald's makes me McFart.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Edit.

How does he compare with Kendrick Perkins? Would you guys say he is better? Similar? Just a bit under his level?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Kendrick is ahead but not by too much, kendrick is clearly a better defender and stronger. Asik is a better shot blocker, rebounder and is more mobile.

6. PeppermintCandy

Right. So they get Asik for around the MLE for two years before having to figure out how to flip him. Doesn't seem like a bad deal for Chicago. Or am I missing something?

7. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I read earlier in this thread that Chicago has 3 days to match. Rockets offered 2 days ago right? So is today the last day Chicago has to match?

In other words, should we find out today whether Asik will be a Rocket?

8. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Three days from the date the offer sheet is signed, which cannot be done until July 11. As such, they will have till July 14 to match.

9. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Why is the date July 11 in stead of July 1? I thought free agency started July 1?

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You think it's easy to flip a role player making 15 million? Only team that would take him would really want a 15m expiring contracts, which means Chicago would then have to take a pair of Ariza type players signed for 7m/yr for multiple years.

That doesn't exactly make the 15m go away.

11. lr22

lr22 Member

Teams may contact with free agents from July 1, then 10 days are prepared for teams to make sure which free agents suite their plan, and see what their own free agents will do. IMO.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yeah... people throw around the term "expiring contract" as if it is always something of great value without understanding what it actually means.

An expiring contract is only valuable if the team trading away that contract is willing to use it to take on extra salary that the other team does not want for the future years. For example, Houston got Jordan Hill and Royce White (i.e. the 16th pick of the 2012 draft) from the Knicks because they used McGrady's expiring contract to eat Jared Jeffries' non-expiring contract. It is also somewhat useful in combination of other assets as a tool to acquire a larger-salaries talent (like what the Rockets might do with Kevin Martin-- using him as a part of the $ to match Dwight Howard's contract)

So, while a $15M expiring contract on Asik is probably better than, say, 2 years $30M left on him, it is still not a nice thing to have on your books.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, but they could easily Amnesty Boozer at that point and not worry about Lux tax and just pay Asik for that year.

DD

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Is Asik appreciably better than Andris Biedrins, circa 2006-10? I'm not complaining, I just want to know what a reasonable comp would be.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And what does that accomplish?

They still have to pay Boozer, even if he's not on the roster. So you're now paying 30m for Asik (15m for Asik + 15m in salary to Boozer as a result of keeping Asik), plus potentially 15m in luxury tax on Asik instead of 30 million for Asik + Boozer, plus potentially 30m in luxury tax.

How is that really any better?

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know if it's a good comp. But if Biedrins was making $8mi/yr instead and not have huge injury concerns, he'd be a pretty valuable commodity in the NBA.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The structure of the contract offer creates a beautiful "poison pill" in the third year that the Bulls may decide is something they don't want choke on. I think they won't match and will be very surprised if they do. What concerns me, however, is that Dragic could be offered the same kind of structured deal, could he not? Now that Morey has laid this method out, seems like other teams will follow, if the parameters work for them and allow it.

19. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Do they have to exactly match? Can they offer him $8.4 M per year for three years for example?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope the bulls match.

Honestly, I just can't stand to see us commit ourselves to the middle of the pact. You get these guys after you acquire the big stars, not before. Now we will not have cap space to sing any kind of major free agent, nor will we be able to grab someone in the draft.