1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. cardpire

cardpire Member

don't know if this is applicable. seems like the people who "just read stats" may be the ones most favoring him.

2. Asian Sensation

Sooo you're saying we could possibly have a new No-Stats All-Star?

2 people like this.
  3. cardpire

cardpire Member

Repped. Hard.

4. Happii

Happii Member

This guy is good but he is only good defensively, the Rocket still do not have an interior offensive presence...

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Possibly, the stat readers already got their whine face on.

6. Asian Sensation

I'm being optimistic and trust Morey's judgement.. I mean he does have a knack for finding players before they blow up (Lowry, Dragic, Parsons etc) but this one's hard to believe.

It's hard to get excited about a guy that has stone hands, zero offensive moves, and picks up fouls early and often in addition to the whole No Stats thing.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe ONLY worked out with the Lakers. He didn't work out with Charlotte or any other team. No one knew what we was - just some high school kid that was awesome who came from Italy. The Lakers kept it hush hush so that he would drop to number 13 - but everyone knew he was an incredible talent. People were talking about him as a very big deal, and for a while he overshadowed Shaq before the season began.

Charlotte drafted him for the Lakers, they were getting Divacs for the number 13 pick - what a freaking great deal! Lakers played a nice quiet game on everyone, and seems like they fooled you to. The article above is a load of b.s.

1 person likes this.
  8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

We're paying him for his defense. Maybe it's crazy money for a limited player, but the things he does well are coveted by many teams. You can't have a layup line at your basket and Morey is addressing this.

9. Asian Sensation

Just imagine the flack Asik is going to get when grandpa Camby severely outplays him at a fraction of the cost. Asik is going to become CFans favorite new whipping boy. I've watched Asik quite a bit as well ever since last year cause his names been floating around and we've always needed a center especially prior to getting Dalembert and Asik's defense is being blown out of proportion. I just feel we could do better for the type of money were throwing at this guy.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I doubt Asik will get a 25 mill offer when he's 38 years old. Everyone knows Camby is the better player, but he's not 26. You think Dwight will accept our 3 yr 25 mill offer when he becomes a FA?

11. Asian Sensation

I think you missed my point.

Camby said he's willing to resign for 2 years 6M total or something dirt cheap like that. That's why I said Camby will outplay Asik for a fraction of 25 Million.

Of course Dwight's not going to accept a 3 year 25 mill deal. But it sure would be nice to be able to have money to extend Dwight if we ever got him and had a chance to extend him but it sure would be hard when you tie up 25M to Asik.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think I got your point and you missed mine, Camby is willing to sign that because he's 38 and nearing retirement, just like when Deke was here. Not so with Asik who's still young. Camby in his prime probably was making double what we offered Asik. We'll cross that bridge with Asik's contract if we ever get Dwight.

13. Asian Sensation

So you're saying it's okay to sign Asik to a contract that's nearly 3X more just because he's younger even though he doesn't have nearly the game or stats as Camby even at his advanced age? I really hope you and Morey are seeing something I'm not cause this move really boggles my mind.

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I doubt if Camby ever made double.I think 11 was highest.

I do know Camby has made a boatload of $$$ and seems like he's spent most of the time injured.I'd be surprised if he's ever played a full season.

Camby's career #'s are around 10/10/2 .. so I'd guess if Asik can stay healthy and give you something close to that than it's fair value.

I've only seen youtube videos so don't really know what he can do

15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

It's ok for similar reasons why owners throw money at 18-19 year old kids who've never seen a minute of court time. The market for paint protecting centers, especially when they are young and can still improve a great deal ain't cheap.

Sure Asik has only seen 15 minutes a game, but you have to pay for the market and potential with expanded minutes. This is especially true with a similar situation with Gortat being a solid successes a few years ago.

I love what Camby brought last year, and if he does indeed resign he could possibly make the Asik signing look a little unfavorable. But the dude is 38 and loves Houston.

How many 7 foot paint protecting centers love Houston and are willing to sign for cheap? Just because we can get Camby doesn't mean we should possibly miss out on an accquistion that fills a glaring need.

16. Muaz

Muaz Member

Can Asik make a Gortat like impact? He pulls down the boards and blocks shots lol why don't we use the whole "oh McHale turned KG Al Jefferson and Kevin Love into what they are so he can transform our bigs" excuse

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nooo, maybe on the boards and D but not on O, his hands are bad, bad touch, extremely raw when it comes to any post moves...would be better just to focus on his D then to turn him into a project on offense. We can hope he's like chuck, and improves on offense by him self :p

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Actually you are wrong he did work out for other teams including the Celtics. I just don't think deemed him worthy of the 6th pick that year. Of course looking back he was totally worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Seriously whats the point? McFart wont even play him. 10 MPG at most. I guarantee you one of our PFs will play more 5 then Asik.

20. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Lol the guy hasn't even been signed yet, and we're already whining about his playing time. Some of these posts are depressing lol.