1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

But he has great hair and teeth.

No homo.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So let me get this straight... Mauree shouldn't aggressively approach a FA opportunity on the chance that in the future he may lose out on a trade deal where another team offers equal value?

Sorry... I say screw the other GM and team, make the deal you want, and worry about future deals down the road. After all... the GMs and teams that always seem to come out ahead (eg Jerry West/Lakers) sure didn't have any problem finding other teams to make one-sided deals.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It doesn't matter if you think Les is cheap or extravagant, every team from now on is going to surf the caps and taxes. That new tax is expensive ... and so is a dropping viewership.

Daryl did some pure surfing.

4. alethios

alethios Member

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

his name is pronounced ah-sheek tho

6. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

that. The deal in totality is not out of line. i think it's a smart move. This season cannot be judged at least somewhat accurately until after the winter trading deadline IMO.

I think Morey is a good long range thinker and David Stern sure as hell shot him in the leg when he was trying to do SOMETHING with what was left of the Yao meltdown. This is the last year of his contract so I'm pretty sure if he has one he's gonna bring his A game. let teh chips fall how they will.

Bring on the summer league!

1 person likes this.
  7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As the offseason continues to unfold and the possibilities of landing big stars lessens, Im more on board with this move.

I wanted him for 6 mil a year...Im now fine with him at 8 mil.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop
    RT @jalenrose: Happy for Asik parlaying 2 starts, 3pts/5 rebs into $25m deal. Being 7ft always pays especially if you can walk/chew gum

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has not proven anything.... other than being wirey,lanky and good on defensive in limited minutes.....

He is doing it the Dragic way, demanding money......having less starting minutes under his belt

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever, you might have been too young back then to remember.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2...e-for-bryant-has-been-misconstrued-ar-113126/

More at the link.

12. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

Exactly my point, I don't understand why people can't see that we made an offer to the best player available at a position of need.

Lopez can't start over Gortant so why would you pay him "starters" money.
    & we need two decent centers just as we had after the trade deadline last year. I see us retaining Camby based off of the fact of him wanting to stay with his family here in the city.

None of those other centers even have the potential to be a trade piece with the same contract, or develop into a solid starter.

Solid offer.

13. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

I'd trade Lowry + Scola for Pau easily especially with Livingston here, (he's a sleeper) & you have guys like Machado (will be on summer league squad) & Jordan Taylor who didn't get drafted, both who happen to be above average floor generals.

Trading for Gortat is fine, I'd pass on Dwight & I watched Hawes & Brockman both play at U-dubb, Brockman already signed is better than an overpayed FA Hawes I promise you that.

Would love to retain Camby though, & as you said coming off the bench would be the best for his efficiency.

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Equal chance Chicago picks either team. Again, GMs don't operate out of spite. Also, Rockets aren't in their conference so they would rather do business with us.

15. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

You cant rely on summer league players to fill your NBA roster.. sheesh, these guys went UNDRAFTED for a reason. If they were so good Morey would have drafted them

The Jeremy Lins, and JJ Bereas of the world are very rare

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Man, Ryan Bowen was just 5" or so too short.

DD

17. caneks

caneks Rookie

looks like bulls will match it.

Bulls general manager Gar Forman said Monday he has yet to see the offer the Houston Rockets extended to restricted-free-agent backup center Omer Asik and won’t weigh in until he does.

‘‘I don’t want to speculate until we actually see something,’’ Forman said at a news conference at the Berto Center to introduce first-round pick Marquis Teague. ‘‘Second of all, we’ve made it clear we value Omer, and it’s been our goal that Omer would stay with the Chicago Bulls. But I’m not going to talk about any type of negotiation or anything contractually.’’

It has been widely reported the Rockets are offering Asik about $25  million over three years, with Asik to be paid $5  million the first year and $5.2 million the second. The third year would approach $15 million, meaning if the Bulls were to match the Rockets’ offer, they’d end up well over the salary cap and be forced to pay the more punitive luxury tax included in last year’s collective-bargaining agreement.

‘‘Things like that are going to happen,” coach Tom Thibodeau said when asked about the lucrative Asik offer. ‘‘When teams win, the value of players goes up, and he’s done a great job for us.’’

Asik appeared in every game for the Bulls last season and averaged 3.1 points and 5.3 rebounds while backing up Joakim Noah. He is most effective defending the rim, blocking shots and rebounding. He also is an effective screen setter whom the Bulls would like to keep to ensure a continued frontcourt advantage over Eastern Conference opponents.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1355...to-address-omer-asiks-offer-from-rockets.html

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think Gar's comments suggest otherwise.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They will match and they have 3 years to figure out how to get under the cap......

Good teams hold onto their better players.

DD

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The Asik topic is a fascinating look into the casual fairweather fans' minds, you can tell who follows the NBA and who just reads stats.