1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

A lot of people on this board are confused about Asik's contract.

i believe it's a backload contract, no?

First two years, Asik's contract is around 5 to 5.5 mil, right? and his 3rd year is around 15 right?

that's mean that Asik will get 2yrs to show if he can live up to his contract if he doesn't morey will trade him, right?

2. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

the rookies will play better with some size behind them. right?

3. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

If he can get into MIT with no brain then I'm in good shape.:)

4. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

That's how I understand his deal as well. And I agree that for the next 2 years his contract sounds great but it may not be so easy to trade in the final year. Yes he will be an expiring contract but he will be making 15 million so Rockets may have to take on a couple of really bad contracts to deal him at that point.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

No. 8.3 per year, unless Chicago matches.

6. Grigori

Grigori Member

The way Chicago works is that they will match the offer, then trade Noah.

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

His salary and his cap hit are different. Roughly 5 mil the 1st two years, then 14 the 3rd year. But, his cap hit that affects the salary cap is evenly distributed to 8.3 all 3 years. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

so it'll be a backload if chicago matches?

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I don't think the contract is clearly explain yet. Until we officially sign him i guess

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yes. Its a crazy loophole in the system that the wrong guy discovered.

[​IMG]

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Rockets start of the off season with a weird signing. Confusing a lot of people and they're screaming about it.

12. LandryMegaBeast

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/asik_120701/nba-how-houston-used-loopholes-woo-omer-asik

Morey is an evil genius

1 person likes this.
  13. Grigori

Grigori Member

It won't be just because of Asik. Chicago was already trying to shed either Deng or Noah for some cheaper players. Asik is cheaper. They would shed Boozer if they could, but there wouldn't be any taker for Boozer. Deng and Noah, they can maybe find takers. Boozer, no way.

Remember, Chicago's owner is a lot stingier than Les Alexander is and their GM has always operated under pretty strict conditions.

14. Asian Sensation

35 page debate on Omer Asik?! ****! And 25 million over 3 years? Double ****!!!!

This contract is as bad as Kelvin Cato's 6 year 42 million contract we offered back in 99.

Speaking of Cato... Asik reminds me A LOT of him except he's white, not nearly as athletic and even more plodding. Other than that the similarities are uncanny. Both of these guys have negative offensive game, can't shoot FT's worth crap, turns the ball over a lot, gets into foul trouble early and often and Asik even has Cato's trademark stone hands. Besides, if we sign Asik to that ludicrous contract Camby (God I hope we sign him) is going to severely outplay him anyways and Asik will be ClutchFans new favorite whipping boy. I put that on everything. Asik and Cato were even about the same age when they got their contracts from us. ****!

PRAY PRAY PRAY the Bulls match... use that money to pay Camby and hope we get someone else and if all else fails I'd rather roll with Patterson at C.

I really really hope Cato part II doesn't happen.

15. macho87

macho87 Member

You are correct. The cap hit will be 8.3 mil a yr for 3yrs, but Les will pay him 5mil the first two seasons and 15 mil the final season.

16. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

YUM! :grin:

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

this deal is a freakin' genius deal.

people are choosing to turn a blind eye to Batum, Hibbert, Nash, Garnett, deals thats commonplace in today's NBA.

Get with the times, people!

18. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

Sounds to me like they are taking a risk.

Maybe McHale thinks he can improve Asik's offensive game?

If Houston signs this guy, they'd better hope McHale can do so...

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I don't understand your whine. His 3-year contract is way better than Cato's six-year contract.

I agree we overpaid him but this is they only way to pry him from the Bulls.

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

she's only 5'4"............... omer, you crazy sunovabeetch