1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I cant help but think this is undeserving...Scola works his ass off but his contract only pays him $1 mil/year more than Asik's new contract. What has Asik done to prove himself in either the international or NBA stage?

3. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

good!

an extra asset to throw in a DH12 trade at the mid-season deadline :p

4. Bulls N' Bears

well.. yeah... why else would I join here?

5. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

after reading through 16 pages...

HOW ARE PEOPLE NOT COMPREHENDING THIS DEAL?

and also, sometimes you gotta overpay... we're not a contender... you have to overpay...

THIS IS HOW FREE AGENCY WORKS IN ALL SPORTS... You won't get the BEST value unless you're a contender or "hometown"

and even then the way this contract is written it's not as BAD as you think it is...

sure $25 mil sounds crazy expensive, but when you look at the position/age/ and the way the FRIGGEN Contract is written up it's a nice move.

$$$ & Numbers wise this is a solid move.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Scola is overpaid. He does nothing great, unlike Asik.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

I've read through every comment, most do not trash Asik or downplay Asik's value on that board. They're merely saying how Morey has pimpslapped Chicago by offering a contract that will be difficult for them to match. Nice try buddy.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Exactly.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we do acquire Asik for this price, as one fan among many, I am good with it. Merit points to Morey. However, I still think Morey could have moved up two more draft spots to #10 (NOLA) and taken Meyers Leonard. (I'm going to pull a Cxbby and predict Leonard will perform up to the standards of a monster center, which he is.)

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Because were the greatest sports forum in the world, sr.

1 person likes this.
  11. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Celebrate good times come on

12. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Yeah, I'm sure Chicago can replace him with Kyrylo Fesenko or Dan Gadzuric or some other stiff like Asik and still do as well.

13. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

and we would still have flexibility...

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I like the deal. Howard and Hibbert were never real options, and don't want Smith. So unless the team lucked into McGee, Asik is the best option.

First, it gets us a young 7' defensive presence in the paint. No more David Anderson or Brad Miller types. No more freeway to the hoop. Seems the perfect complement to Marcus Camby.

Now getting Dragic back in the fold, and hopefully Lamb and White get enough minutes to develop. Trade Lowry, let Lee sign elsewhere. Since Asik doesn't touch the ball on offense, Scola and Martin become more interesting options this coming season. I am starting to rekindle interest in this team.

15. teebone21

teebone21 Member

confirmed 3 years :(

16. Bulls N' Bears

I can guarantee you people in chicago do not want to match.

People either don't want to match, or they're saying "match it so we can trade him away before his 3rd year. That will be a big expiring contract and we can get a player back in return."

People would be crazy to think this is a good deal for Asik. Have you even seen him play? He's not as good as this contract indicates.

It sounds more like you're in denial trying to talk yourself into this being a good deal.. when it's not. At all.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This deal would eat most of our cap room, though it should still allow us to go over the cap to sign both Dragic and Lee. If we don't resign them, we should have another $7m or so in space.

In terms of Howard, it depends what Orlando wants. If they wanted a team to take most of his salary, we can't really do that. Before, we could have made a trade of Lowry+draft picks+minor filler) straight up, and absorbed Howard into our cap space (saving them on the order of 10m next year). If they'd take Martin+the recent picks or something of that form, it's of course still possible, but our options are more limited.

The better question, imo, is where this might leave us with Eric Gordon, because now any deal with him can only be done in a sign and trade with the Hornets taking back significant salary (Martin).

18. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

What kind of *** makes an account on another team's board just to let them know he wouldn't do what they are doing. Lol....my god. It's not that I'm so gung-ho about the deal that I'm mad at someone disagreeing....this is just a cut and dry case of being a complete loser.

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What does it matter if it's a large cap hit...we're not going anywhere for 2-3 years. So strap in ClutchFans, more doom and gloom ahead.

[​IMG]

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Courtside??? Make this woman sit (on my) lapside!