1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Bulls N' Bears

Bulls fan here.

I sure as hell hope the Bulls don't match this offer... Asik really isn't that good. His offense is horrendous, and he doesn't really move that well on defense. He's just tall. Yeah, he gets some blocks here and there and will get some boards, but what 7 footer wouldn't? Unless they REALLY suck.

He's not worth that money.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Bc once he's here, he wont leave...he's a greedy b*stard.

3. opticon

opticon Member

If I was the Bulls gm I would go after Spencer Hawes who can be had on the cheap right now.

Tibbs can teach anyone to play D even him.

4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

If Chicago doesn't match, there is no way Morey holds onto him for all 3 years with that backloaded contract. I wouldnt be surprised if he was gone after the season or eariler. There are a few angles to this move:

- Houston needs a defensive center (obvious)
    - Houston is forcing Chicago into a Joakim Noah trade
    - Houston is collecting more assets for an eventual D12 trade (6 month wait)
    - Camby is possibly asking Houston too much to re-sign.

5. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Tom Thibeado's system is very underrated

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

It is 3 years. the Feigen tweet was a typo. He came back and said as much a few minutes later. According to John Hollinger it is 3 years 23.1M.

7. Bulls N' Bears

yeah, I'd honestly rather have Hawes than Asik right now.

and yeah, Thibbs is really good at making guys play D.

Plus, it would be nice to have a back-up for Noah who can score. Asik is just.... terrible on offense. I cringe when he touches the ball.

8. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Ah, well, Asik ranked 10th in the NBA in Total Rebound Percentage at 20.1% and 11th in Offensive Rebound Percentage (14.9%)

I know thats based on his 15 minutes per game, but still, I'm looking on the bright side.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

it wont be 15 million...

IT WILL BE 8 MILLION...

can you people read.?>???????????????

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess on Camby: They want him, but either he needs to take less to stay home (the $2.5M "Room" exception for 2 years) or the Rockets needs to find at least $3M in extra cap room to sign him to a contract matching what an outside team offers (i.e. 3 years, $9.6M or something).

They would use $3M cap room on him, but it depends on what it would cost them to create such cap room and what opportunities they'd be foregoing. Given the # of higher priority star-chasing scenarios (maybe low probability of success, but you gotta try), the Rockets will basically have to ask Camby either to take the $2.5 Mil/year for 2 years or wait while they sort things out. Camby may or may not have the ability to wait (since some of those other teams might spend their exceptions on other players while this happens).

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Omer Asiks GF!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah, Asik is a nobody to Bulls fans that's why he has a 16+ page thread on the Bulls board. :rolleyes:

That's okay, he's easy to replace right? Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Joey Pryz can all replace Asik for you guys, right?

13. conquistador#11

something tells me this poster just created an account to tell us his opinion as a "bulls" fan. More effort on the moniker. :p

Well, I got to go eat dinner and other stuff. Tonight, this soul brother is getting some boom boom. Yes, I am Black man.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

The deal we got for T-Mac was actually pretty good... but we dont do this deal for the expiring contract (which should be moveable if needed to) - we do this deal for a young 7 foot center with great strength, elite defense and good rebounding and hope, that our coach can teach him some offense.

There aren`t many centers in the NBA that actually deserve the kind of money they get. Too few talented 7 footers, so teams overpay. That`s what we did, we overpay him on a little gamble, that he can play for 30+ minutes and that he can improve his offense.

Other options? Giving Hibbert the max and hoping he chooses us? Go after Brook Lopez who is injury prone? Hawes, who doesnt want to play defense?

No, we swallow the bitter pill, overpay him and solve that problem for the forseeable future. To compete we need a star - and our only hope to get one are our rookies. But between Lamb, White, Moti and Jones we have 4 rookies that might become one someday...

15. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

If we land him I am happy...obvious he hasn't logged major minutes but look at how gortat has turned out..and I believe Asik is in that same category and will be solid starter..I think you can expect double figures in points and reb for him while playing solid d being a shot blocker...for 8 mil yr I think he is a great value

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Can someone w/knowledge of the cap situation confirm whether or not this ends the Howard trade talks? Doesn't seem like it would.

17. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

3 years > 1 year

18. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

can you add to the title to (8m/per cap hit)

people cant seem to grasp this...

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Need to sign this guy...would she sit courtside?

20. Bulls N' Bears

read through comments. Most Bulls fan DO NOT want to match it.

Asik is not worth that money.

He has no offensive skills whatsoever.. He doesn't move his feet well on defense.. he basically just stand there and tries blocking every single shot... which isn't always smart since he picks up a lot of dumb fouls.

And he isn't athletic at all. he can't really out jump anyone for a rebound.

He's a decent defender. Not good enough to give him 25 mil over 3 years.