1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OFFICIAL: Omer Asik a Houston Rocket (3 year/$25.1 million)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigbodymoe, Jul 1, 2012.

?

3-years, $25.1 million deal to Omer Asik -- is this a good deal for the Rockets?

1. YES

895 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

446 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm going to work now. I fully expect to hear the terrible news of the Bulls announcing they will match this when I come back. Never want to get my hopes up again.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Why do you say this? Do you know something, or is this just your opinion?

3. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Come on Bulls, Please match! This move sucks.

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Exactly. People keep crying about Dalembert like he gave 100% all the time. And we needed to traded him to move up in the draft to get Lamb who will be our future SG.

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

6. dequinix

dequinix Member

It's just a defensive measure against the Bulls matching. The cap hit, if I'm correct, is still only $8.36/year.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Asik is a top 5 defensive center...

FREAKING FANTASTIC SIGNING BY DARYL MOREY...

3. Chandler Parsons
    4. Royce White
    5. Omer Asik

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

its not a 15/m cap hit.. its 8m/per..

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Thank you. I don't even know why Dalembert is even still being talked about here. The guy is not good.

10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

DeAndre averaged 8 a game. And he got paid 10 million to do it.

11. Bulls N' Bears

Bulls fan here.

I sure as hell hope the Bulls don't match this offer... Asik really isn't that good. His offense is horrendous, and he doesn't really move that well on defense. He's just tall. Yeah, he gets some blocks here and there and will get some boards, but what 7 footer wouldn't? Unless they REALLY suck.

He's not worth that money.

1 person likes this.
  12. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

but it'll be a $15M expiring contract in year 3 and i think that combines with a pick or two sometimes get you a star player.

13. Jamers

Jamers Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=222231

i love the move/offer considering the shortage on centers. i mean chuck got close to that amount and asik is young ang improving, so why not? ;)

14. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

Are those numbers worth 25.1 mill for 3 years:rolleyes:

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

KC Johnson (Chicago Tribune's Bulls beat writer) tweeted that 3-year contract is more palatable for Bulls than a 4 year deal since the Bulls can just amnesty Boozer before that season. Maybe true, but I suspect the Bulls are just releasing PR hoping to scare the Rockets away from actually signing the contract (nothing can be signed until July 11).

A couple notes re this:

1. As I said, their tax situation becomes an issue even in the 1st year and 2nd year of the contract. Even the $5M and $5.25M cap hit will make it all but impossible to stay under the tax threshold without making some very difficult choices. This is particularly true in the 2nd (and later) year given Taj Gibson will also command a big contract as a free agent.

2. Even after amnestying Boozer in the 3rd yhear (Deng's conract ends then, too), they'll still have $45M committed to just 3 guys, with Teague and Butler being the other 2 under contract for $3M each. They'll likely be paying big for Gibson as well. And this is the minimum without signing any outside FA (and they do have holes to fill).

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

bulls fans saying they want to match

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Remember when the Rockets had the Tracy McGrady expiring contract and the Yao Ming expiring contract? What star player did we acquire?

18. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i think morey is trying to put together a playoff team.. if hes able to land gordon, i see him trying to bring in a semi-superstar through trade..

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm on the fence. Obviously he will not enter the lexicon of GREAT Houston centers. Moses, Sampson, Hakeem, Yao...

But he will be solid on D and he will keep us out of this ridiculous Dwight Howard nonsense.

Morey is a great drafter but he's never going to be a great or even very good GM. Assets upon assets and every big deal falls through. He's just not good at bargaining. I would love to sit at a poker table with him.

So, to me, this is a good deal where Morey is concerned.

We've been chasing a nearly over-the-hill Gasol and a 100% guaranteed rental in Howard for a year. And we've been willing to give up the farm for either.

This move is no splash, but it's not the disaster our 'desired' moves would have been.

In fact, I've talked myself into liking the offer. Because I don't think Morey can do better.

Get riddy of Morey, get riddy of Les, but Omer's okay with me.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like Asik better than Dalembert or Camby because he has upside, but I still am not thrilled with it. This may close the door on Howard, Bynum, Hibbert. But I guess if we can somehow swing Dragic + Gordon + Asik that, combined with our good draft, would be a pretty sick offseason.