1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I wouldn't mind going after Percy Harvin. Would be fun to see Mallet throwing a few bombs to him

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The real issue is : he can miss more games this season than Foster.

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

Percy is not a deep threat. He's more a of a slot/gadget receiver.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I don't follow. What do you mean? Anybody could get hurt this year.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which is exactly what we are in the market for......if we're willing to overlook him being a mental midget and all of the baggage he brings with him.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I will not take him even he wants to play for free, its so obvious that this guy is causing issues with every team he stayed with.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

And Joseph played every game last season

8. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Cut Jonathan Joseph...Try to get Chris Culliver here to sign here he's 26.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

His track record is clearly showing :

1. His performance is going down hill the last couple seasons.
    2. He is having difficulties to stay healthy.

That's far from being " anybody could get hurt".

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

What I truly dislike about the hindsight-only evaluation is that if the Texans had let Foster walk - a truly Belicheckian check-mate move - these same people would have flipped their S and this forum would have melted into a puddle of tears.

Contracts are inherently risky. You're always paying for past performance and no one in the history of any sport has ever signed one and gotten younger. I don't think the Texans have been egregiously awful at managing the cap. As you and I have discussed, they screwed the pooch on the timing in 2008-2010 and probably extending the nucelus of that team a bit too long, which caused some cap issues in '12-'13. But overall, they've been fairly decent with their money.

When you have exceptionally great players you want to keep, like Andre Johnson or JJ Watt, they cost money; lots and lots of money. Finding a happy medium between keeping those guys, and building a team around them, is tough.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Secondary is the position that once you are over the hill, you are done.

Keep paying those players in their late 20 or getting into 30 big money is not wise decision,

paying big money for washed up big name in FA market is even worst, Ed Reed is the best example.

Its time for the Texan to move on.

Draft well, develop your secondary and use some cheat young talents is the way to go.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Percy can definitely be a deep threat. Has the speed but Pete used him for dump down passes.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Percy is a great return man, but apparently not a deep threat.

His YPC for his career is quite low and his 40 time was "average".

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

it's too bad Percy is such a headcase. we desperately need some good kick/punt returns. ANYONE but damaris or keshawn

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Harvin is fast, but he doesnt stretch the field like many think.

The overwhelming majority of his catches are WR screens where he's given some space and can make stuff happen. Of course, he's fast...but his strength is working in space and utilizing blocks to advance downfield. Having said that, I've wanted him the moment Marshall got traded to the Jets.

On a separate note, regarding JJo and the Texans cap...

I see no real point in cutting JJo unless it allowed us the opportunity to get an impact player (Brees). Otherwise, you hold onto him for one more season until he comes off the books. I do think the Texans need to get a CB in the first couple rounds so that they have viable replacement options once JJo is no longer with us. When you wait until you need a player to draft a player, you're getting yourself in trouble. The key is to prepare for it in advance.

Our cap situation may not be terrible, but it's definitely far from good. We will be in much better shape next season though...specially if Cushing and Graham are cut.

We will be at around 70 million under the cap next season. I have to look up what free agents will be available, but next offseason is poised to be a ton of fun.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Bruce Carter to Tampa. Damn would have been a nice pickup but I doubt we offered as much as they did.

Cap situation is really good going forward, this year is the last year of the shakiness. Think Foster is the prime cut candidate for next offseason and maybe Duane depending on how he plays this year.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

1. The chance of getting a franchise QB in FA market is close to ZERO.

2. When you are not a contender, you will need to overpaid players to come to your team, that's what the Jets, Raiders, Jags did every year.

3. FA signing can help but the major factor that can help you to win the championship is still drafting well, especially drafting a good QB.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Overpay.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Told the Bruce Carter deal with Tampa Bay is for $5 million a year over four years</p>&mdash; Todd Archer (@toddarcher) <a href="https://twitter.com/toddarcher/status/575767721335386112">March 11, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

1. Ok. Yes.

2. The Texans won 9 games last year and poised to do about the same this upcoming season. We are not the Jags and Raiders, and it will be much easier to convince players to come to a team that was 7th in a conference that has 6 teams make the playoffs.

3. Ok. Yes.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

That is a good signing if you are getting the guy whose light turned on a few games in to the season last year.

I think his ability to defend passing plays on third down is huge.