1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Nokia Lumia 920/820 Thread - Windows Phone 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Amel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

This Windows phone is the only one on the market I think is tempting enough to buy. I own a G2X which has been a disappointment running stock but has been serviceable enough to meet my daily needs. I told myself I'd wait until they came up with a better revolutionary tech since there's no real need to have handheld phone that can run Diablo 3 on the highest settings when all I need is a phone that can take calls, send text, provides the occasional GPS and has passable web browsing.

2. Major

Major Member

Seems like a stupid decision for everyone. AT&T most likely had to pay for exclusivity rights, but no one is changing carriers for a Windows phone at this point (unlike iPhone back in the day). Microsoft and Nokia need market share more than money right now, and this only hurts both of them in that regard.

Their goal should have been to get their phone out everywhere. Microsoft would benefit by spending $1B of their fortune to give away 10 million of these phones for free, just to establish a userbase that will build buzz, jumpstart the creation of apps, etc.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nokia is dead. They will eventually sell off their maps business, but they have lost the smartphone battle with Apple and Samsung, at the latest when they decided to tie themselves exclusively to Microsoft.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You're assuming there can only be two. Remember, RIM is leaving and the Android/Apple warfare has just started. OEM's could jump ship to MS to save the hassle of lawsuits. This is anything but over for anyone here. Microsoft has been realistic throughout this entire process and they have stated if they are third in the market they are fine with that. I really think there is room for three, and I could easily see some apple and a lot of android fans jumping ship for Nokia and the HTC 8x. Both phones are rather impressive and the 8X will be available on AT&T and Verizon.

5. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Let's hope the Lumia 920 is a limited time AT&T exclusive. I'm not giving up unlimited data on Verizon just to switch over for another carrier's exclusive phone.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ATT huh? PASS.

Wanting to stick to Android anyways. Can't wait to upgrade next month. Hoping for some great black friday deals. Saw one for the SIII for $49.

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

That ATT exclusivity is really stupid, but it looks like its going to be for just a few months...

I will wait until it shows up on TMobile...until then prob go with a S3 or Note 2

8. TISNF

TISNF Member

Yeah I was all set to pick up the SIII the other day, but then I finally held the Note in my hand...just fantastic (especially since I don't really have a need for a full-sized tablet).

If I can wait a few more weeks I think I'll lean toward the new Note, unless the SIII gets cut drastically in price. I'll still consider the Lumia, but not sure if I can wait so long.

9. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yep. nokia has farked itself with this exclusive garbage. you'd think that they would want to get this phone in enough folks hands during the holiday season. also, by the time exclusivity is up, mwc will be here (february) where the next biggest thing will be revealed. i mean c'mon... htc stole a bit of nokia's thunder with the htc 8s and 8x. strike one, two...

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There were rumors the SIII would go to $99.00 sometime after the iPhone 5 was released. But if sales continue to be strong, probably won't happen until the S4 becomes imminent.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Key dates:

•October 4th – AT&T formally announces the Lumia 920
    •October 4th – Microsoft sends out press invites for SF
    •October 21st – AT&T announce pricing and availability of the 920
    •October 26th – Possible pre-order for the Lumia 920
    •October 29th – Microsoft announces Windows Phone 8
    •November 4th – In store sales of the Lumia 920 begin

http://www.wpcentral.com/confirmed-att-launching-nokia-lumia-920-november-4th

Also, the phone will now come in Cyan - matte, not glossy. This will be the color I'm getting.
    [​IMG]

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

http://forums.wpcentral.com/1715140-post27.htm

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

there are going to be some *solid* phones on Verizon and Sprint.. not the Nokia 920 obviously. But that's not necessarily even the best one out there. I'm thinking a lot haven't been announced yet

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

I think so too. I think a wave of WP8 devices are coming out soon. Between CES and MWC..there's going to be some solid phones, especially the rumored surface device.

I am going to hang tight and not jump on the first phone ATT is offering.

16. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

17. TISNF

TISNF Member

18. Hak34

Hak34 Member

And specs too. Nice looking phone, a day late and a dollar short.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think Nokia is dead. I had Nokia phones for many years, and was very happy with my Nokia E61 and E71. I also had the N95. This one was crap. Looking at this phone, it looks to me like the N series guys did this one. The specs for the N95 sounded great, but it just didn't have the ease of use. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing would turn out to be true for this one. Their maps/navigation are still very good, though - better than Apple for sure, and also better than Google (for navigation).