1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] NFL: Week 2

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 12, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Post-game presser should be somewhat entertaining as well.

League office staying busy to start Week 2. I predict heavy fines/suspensions coming down... especially for taking out the official.

I'm sure Mangold will get hit with something too. Craziness.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I saw the replay and agree with you.

But the NFL may step in here and squash any semblance of foul play given the week we just had to open the season.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree completely. Because of the prep time, seems like either both teams look terrible or one team has it figured out and the other falls flat.

Thursday football every week is a huge mistake by the NFL. Originally I thought having the game on NFL Network was bad but at least fewer people get to watch the sorry product on the field.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That was so dirty i'd suspend him for the rest of the season without even a second thought

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Welp Geno is terrible

6. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

Still Better than Sanchez

Total Butt Fumbles
    Geno 0 Sanchez More

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

what about the strategy about not having a punt returner? I think that was stupid.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

New England is garbage.

9. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Garbage now, or always?

Anyways, tonight, the Patriot WR's couldn't catch water if they fell off a boat.

So, I'll agree if you think they are garbage now, because New England lost 5 of there top WR's: Gronkowski, Welker, Woodhead, Hernandez and Lloyd.

Also, as angry as Brady consciously and subconsciously is about the above^ happening to his team; instead of throwing tantrums on the sidelines at his rookie WR's tonight, shouldn't he be mentoring them and not yelling and making them under more pressure than they already are? Clearly Brady knows the routes, and his WR's don't. Because Brady was nailing them perfectly. They just weren't analyzing and running their routes solidly.

I feel like, Brady, as amazing as a QB as he is (and still feel like he is still the golden nugget QB in the league today), should not be throwing tantrums like the way he did tonight. Extremely non-leadership like.
    Or maybe I am wrong, and since he IS the QB, he is allowed to have tantrums, and frustration?

All seriousness aside, I hope someone gave Brady a tampon after the game was over.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

BTW: I know all those players I listed aren't WR's... but the reason I labeled them as such was because they all act and played the WR role, regardless that they aren't actually reality wise, playing that position.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Sunday, September 15

St. Louis @ Atlanta 12:00PM FOX
    San Diego @ Philadelphia 12:00PM CBS
    Dallas @ Kansas City 12:00PM FOX
    Miami @ Indianapolis 12:00PM CBS
    Tennessee @ Houston 12:00PM CBS
    Washington @ Green Bay 12:00PM FOX
    Cleveland @ Baltimore 12:00PM CBS
    Carolina @ Buffalo 12:00PM FOX
    Minnesota @ Chicago 12:00PM FOX
    New Orleans @ Tampa Bay 3:05PM FOX
    Detroit @ Arizona 3:05PM FOX
    Jacksonville @ Oakland 3:25PM CBS
    Denver @ NY Giants 3:25PM CBS
    San Francisco @ Seattle 7:30PM NBC

Monday, September 16
    Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati 7:40PM ESPN

12. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Nick Mangold on late hit: Aqib Talib 'was in bounds,' according to Jets center

[​IMG]

Today from SB Nation:

Nick Mangold sparked a scrum during Thursday night's game between the New York Jets and the New England Patriots when he hit cornerback Aqib Talib out of bounds in the final minute of regulation.

Mangold appeared to dive at Talib's knees after the cornerback made a game-clinching interception and players from both benches promptly met along the Patriots' sideline. After the game, Mangold told the Newark Star-Ledger that he thought that he made a good tackle.

"I didn't do anything," Mangold said. "I made the tackle. He was along the sideline. I obviously could not play defense in this league because I thought he was still in bounds, so I tried to make a tackle."

Judging intent from replays is always tricky business, especially when trying to determine whether an offensive player meant to make a dirty tackle or not. That didn't stop proceedings from getting out of hand, however.

According to Mangold, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was particularly irate:

"He got heated about it," Mangold said. "I was a little surprised by that. I figured he'd have a little bit more poise. But it's obviously an intense game, intense rivalry and tempers flare. I'm not really sure (what Belichick said). I didn't catch it. There was a decent amount of yelling. So I couldn't tell you. You'll have to go to the NFL mics. I'm sure they've got plenty around."

That play resulted in an ugly end to what was a brutal game.​

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Between this, and the Slauson hit from last year on Cushing, the Jets offensive line are a bunch of punks.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's because they suck and are undisciplined. They take the identity of their head coach, Rex Ryan, who is a huge dbag.

15. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

does anybody think Geno Smith has potential to be a decent starter in the NFL

16. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Last season, after his ACL injury, Cush publicly challenged the NFL to clean up the game on both sides of the ball.

Brian Cushing: Defensive players have to be protected, too.
    [Posted by NBC Sports on Feb 21, 2013]
    The torn ACL suffered by Texans linebacker Brian Cushing when he was hit in the knee from behind by Jets guard Matt Slauson may have been the tipping point for a change in NFL rules to emphasize protecting the legs of defensive players. Cushing supports that.

Cushing would have preferred not to have to sacrifice his own ACL for the cause, but he told Albert Breer of NFL Network that he’s glad to hear the Competition Committee is focusing on the matter.

“I’m happy they’re taking the initiative to look at this,” Cushing said. “To me, it’s an acknowledgement that defensive players have to be protected, too. I wasn’t the first guy to go down like this; there have been similar injuries. What happened, that’s a play that can be eliminated. You look at the play, it doesn’t need to be done. So for them to go back and really acknowledge that guys need to be protected, that’s moving in the right direction.”​

Suh's hefty fine ($100K) earlier this week sure did send a stern message from the NFL. Though, it likely had more to do with Suh's history than a one time offense. We'll see how it plays out w/ Mangold. The official assessed a 15-yd penalty on the play, so I'm certain the NFL will take a closer look (it was borderline, IMO). Let's be real. Talib was being an ass by prancing along the sideline (as a ball carrier), and he should have expected contact. So in that context Cushing's plea to Competition Committee doesn't specifically apply, IMO, to last night's controversial play.

But it definitely applied in Suh's case.

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I didn't watch last week's game but he didn't seem terrible in this one, made some rookie mistake but might be serviceable down the road.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He obviously has the "potential to be decent", but I don't think you can win a Super Bowl with him as your QB.

19. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

BREAKING: Vick Ballard (RB, Colts) out for the season with knee injury

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Geno had so many chances to take off running. He has the arm strength to make some throws, but his decision making really showed last night. He looked like a rookie.