1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Official] NFL: Week 1

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Castor27, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Except Cowboy fans. :)

2. Lil Pun

I know quite a few, there is actually a 49er fan club in my city (Jonesboro, AR) with a pretty big membership for the area which is considered Cowboy country. Three of those guys are in my fantasy league and they never go on and on about past glory years. I'm sure that there are 49er fans that do so but it's not displayed on the same level as Cowboy fans, at least from what I have seen.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, especially when all the experts and everyone else picked the Cowboys to win before the game.

Wait, they didn't? So the rest of the country is laughing at a team who just beat a team that pretty much no one predicted they would beat?

I know three Cowboys fans that don't go on and on about the glory years, so I've canceled those out. :)

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

you sound like the idiot here.

5. Lil Pun

You have to give Cowboys credit. Their OL, which was a big question mark, came in and handled one of the best defensive lines in football (QB pressure wise anyway). The Giants secondary isn't that great with their starters in there. The Cowboys deserved the win. The hype surrounding the team after the win however.....

6. Lil Pun

Well, I meant the club as a whole. I was just letting it be known how I was affiliated with the club. ;)

7. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

'ah, especially when all the experts and everyone else picked the Cowboys to win before the game.

Wait, they didn't? So the rest of the country is laughing at a team who just beat a team that pretty much no one predicted they would beat?"

The spread was pretty much a pick em....So save me they were giant underdogs...This is the reason why the cowboys one win and their fans are pegging them for the Superbowl I live dallass I hear them...

"you sound like the idiot here. "

Wicked burn bro.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Nobody likes an obnoxious person, whatever the reason they think they have for being obnoxious.

I was born and raised a Cowboys fan, and have watched them every sunday since 1971 or so. And I have never been one of those 'obnoxious Cowboys fans', and in fact I dislike them as much as anyone else does.

But it is a mistake to hate the Cowboys simply because there are some loud and rude fans of that team. Because there are loud and rude fans of every team.

I am also a Texans fan, and was an Oilers fan before them. I can't help my upbringing, I can't help having silver and blue in my DNA, but I have lived in SE Texas and the Houston area for 40 years, and I have a deep love for the area, and our teams. I am as much of a die-hard Rockets fan as you will find.

And so it pains me when I hear Texans 'fans' belittling and berating other teams' fans, especially Cowboys fans, because we are often one and the same.

Rude is rude, and if you don't like rude or obnoxious fans, then don't BE one either. Listening to sports talk radio on the drive to and from work, it's really disheartening to hear the pur malice and venom in the voices and the hearts of the people who call in toward people like.. me.

I didn't do anything to deserve your vicious hatred, dudes, so grow up.

Now having said all that, a bit about the game last night..

The last few seasons have been hard because the team has been better than the record, and for whatever reason, they just seemed to be teaching themselves how to be chokers. Ugh, horrible thing to say but honestly, they choked last year away big time. You don't give away THREE 12-point+ 4th-quarter leads in one season just because the ball didn't bounce your way. They sucked, they choked, and I am not afraid to say it.

And so this year, even with the upgrades in the secondary and linebacker, there has been this fear lurking all along that the disease of choking would still infect the team. And then the offensive line has been a shambles all training camp, and then the starting center goes down on like the 3rd play of the game.. and Romo throws an INT down to the 1.. sigh, here we go again.

But no, the defense was not going to let the Giants walk on them this year like they did last year.

And Romo was not going to be rattled and start heaving desperation throws like last year. And the team was not going to lean on Felix Jones as the lead runner like they had to do far too much last year. And Witten was not going to stay off the field, Austin was going to go, Dez was going to prove everyone wrong about him, and Ogletree finally decided to live up to the praise he has been receiving the last three years..

Of course the Giants are a good team, but they have problems just like every team does. Their secondary looks worse than the Texans' of the past, and their running game looks like it will be worse than last year, despite what the 'experts' have been saying.

And so the whole game, all the way down to the last 2 minutes, I was preparing myself for the worst.

And dang, 3-and-12 to ice it, and Romo delivers a perfect strike to Ogletree again? Wow.

I don't know if the Cowboys will be consistent this year, or make the playoffs. I HOPE so. But last night showed that they have at least washed some of the choke-stink off of them, and it felt really good to be able to watch the end of a game and not be extremely pi$$ed at the team.

And the Texans? Do I think the Texans are better than the Cowboys this year? Yes, I do. I think the Texans could be one of the top two or three teams in the entire league this year, right up there with GB and NE, and I have super high hopes and expectations for Houston this year.

Man wouldn't it be great to finally have an all-Texas SB? Yes, it would.

Bottom line though folks, don't waste your time with hate. It's beneath you, it's beneath everyone.

Except Utah Jazz fans. Nothing is beneath them.:cool:

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I know. And I deserved it

10. Lil Pun

I don't hate Cowboys fans because I view them as obnoxious but I do hate the Cowboys as an Eagles fan. It's hate on a fan level so to speak. I don't strive to see any Cowboy players injured or any players injured for that matter. I don't want to blow up their stadium or anything like that. It is just a genuine disdain for a rival team but all in good fun. Yes, there are obnoxious and idiotic fans of all teams even the Eagles. In my experience though, Cowboys fans are the main ones who bring up past events like they have some relevance today. I'm sure there is some of that in other places but as I said in my experience Cowboys fans are head and shoulders above others. It makes that disdain grow for the team that much more though.

I personally don't see anything wrong with disliking another team. I am friends with Cowboy fans, hell my family is full of them but that doesn't make me like the team anymore. I don't hate these people or any fans for that matter, it's more of their thinking that gets me.

11. Nero

Nero Member

Well, in all fairness, I believe Eagles fans should brag about their Super Bowl rings if they want to. :grin:

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

they beat the current champions in their stadium, the first team in 9 years that the current champion lost the first game of the season.
    cowboys played great.
    I dont think cowboys or giants are going to the superbowl.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

Hey old man, zip it or I'll break your hip.

14. Lil Pun

As should the Cowboys, since it makes them better in the present somehow. ;)

#114 Lil Pun, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It's ok Cowboys fans. We know Texans fans are loud and obnoxious about their team now. I guess winning one playoff game makes you the ****ing 85 Bears.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Is this the NFL version of peepee games?

17. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I wonder if the Ravens will use their no huddle offense in the regular season, they were very successful with their speedy WR's.

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

They used it intermittently last year; Flacco had some success running it.

The less plays that involve Rice the better. (Brought to you by a long standing member of the Ravenssuckfanclub)

19. conquistador#11

In 1985, the bears were coming off an 10-6 season, where they lost their 2nd playoff game. The comparison fits. Nothing wrong with great expectations.

:forward to 2013:
    Wade gets carried off the field on barwin and Cushing's shoulders and kubiak gets the gatorade by the offense.

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member