1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Nationals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 28, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

[Official] Astros @ Reds

Please keep this to talk about the series. As usual no Play-by-Play, or general Astros talk. If you need play by play see one of the many other sites that have game casts.

5-31 Luis Atilano, RHP (4-1, 4.82) vs. Roy Oswalt, RHP (3-6, 2.35) 1:05 on FSH

6-1 Craig Stammen, RHP (1-2, 5.60) vs. Brett Myers, RHP (3-3, 3.22) 7:05 on FSH

6-2 John Lannan, LHP (2-2, 5.01) vs. Wandy Rodriguez, LHP (2-7, 5.37) 7:05 on FSH

6-3 J.D. Martin, RHP (0-1, 1.50) vs. TBA 1:05 on FSH

#1 Castor27, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Nats @ Astros

Temp thread.

Oswalt just threw 4 strikes to Dunn there. The home plate ump needs his eyes checked.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

I caught that AB(only one I saw in the first). Saw Washington got one on the board - HR? Game might be over now, heh.

4. BrooksBall

No, Guzman doubled, got bunted over to third and scored on a sac fly.

That was a disappointing inning after getting 2 guys on with no outs. Puma had a horrible AB then we tried a double steal for some reason and Keppinger not surprisingly got thrown out.

5. BrooksBall

Not Astros related but Jimenez is facing Lincecum today.

Lincecum has had a couple of bad outings recently. He actually didn't even have his A stuff against us 3 starts ago but of course our offense let him off the hook.

Jimenez has been doing a Bob Gibson impersonation this season. What's particularly amazing is that he pitches most of his games at Coors Field.

6. BrooksBall

This home plate ump is horrible. He missed another 3rd strike then called a ball strike 3. Maybe he realized that he screwed Oswalt on 2 calls and decided to make up for it.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

After humidifier, you can pitch at Coors field. They just haven't had that many quality starters in their existence.

8. BrooksBall

Still one of the most extreme hitter's parks post-humidor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k10ballparks

1. Coors Field (Colorado Rockies): Still the hitters' park to define all hitters' parks, humidor or not, Coors topped all ballparks in terms of runs and hits last season, as well as in 2005-09 combined. Though its dimensions are more spacious than most big league ballparks, Coors is a hitter's heaven because of its high altitude. The team's official Web site notes that a batted ball "travels nine percent farther at 5,280 feet than at sea level. It is estimated that a home run hit 400 feet in sea-level Yankee Stadium would travel … as far as 440 feet in the Mile High City."

Go year by year here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

9. BrooksBall

Oh well, there won't be an 11th straight quality start.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I hold my breath every time Roy pitches because of trade value concerns and the fact that he's been so damn good thus far. :( Hopefully he mitigates the damage from here on out. This inning was largely a result of getting squeezed, unfortunately...

11. BrooksBall

The home plate ump has been horrible all game. I didn't pay as much attention when their pitcher was on the mound but Roy got screwed a few times.

12. BrooksBall

Ridiculous.

He's been garbage all game.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd think that a team interested in Roy paid off that chump.

13. The Cat

There are few more spineless, despicable employees on earth than most officials. There are exceptions, but by and large, what a pathetic, arrogant group of self-serving pricks.

14. BrooksBall

I don't blame Oswalt one bit. Starting with the Dunn AB, the ump has been as bad as I've seen.

15. BrooksBall

Did you see the first base ump in the White Sox game a few nights ago? I forget his name but he has a history with the Sox. He tossed Buehrle after a couple of balk calls.

16. The Cat

The next time any official, any sport - or their unions - tries to beg for sympathy over a blown call with the "human error, they're not perfect" bull****, someone needs to loop the Kendrick Perkins ejection last week and the Oswalt ejection today.

That's the complete and utter hypocrisy of officials for you. They want us to not be so hard on them when they screw up because "they're human", yet they can't accept the "human" reactions of players who are naturally going to be a little upset over bad calls.

We'll "man up" and stop complaining when officials don't get their egos bruised over the slightest criticism and respond with a 12-year-old "I'm taking my ball and going home" temper tantrum. There's a distinct reason I ride officials as hard as I do...

17. The Cat

Yup. Arrogant prick.

If there's any slight positive, it's that this start - despite what it does to his ERA - shouldn't detract much from Roy's confidence or his rhythm. Should be pretty easy to put it behind him, given the bizarre circumstances.

18. BrooksBall

Plus, we all know that Roy has ice in his veins and a short memory. If he for some reaons has a less-than-great outing in his next start, I wouldn't attribute it to this BS.

19. The Cat

LOL. Awesome.

20. BrooksBall

lol...

Chacin used some of Oswalt's fuel right there.

That'll probably be the 1st and the last of his career. Beautiful.