1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Matt Schaub to Raiders for late round pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Mar 21, 2014.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's just for this season. Next year it's all gone. His contract ran through 2016.

2. Fantasma Negro

I love Logan Thomas. I think he can be really solid and I think he can be had in the third or fourth

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

And 2015 and 2016?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Wouldn't have been on our books regardless if we cut or traded him.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick is a clear downgrade from "good" Schaub, but he's at absolute worst a wash for Bad Schaub, and there's zero reason for folks to expect Schaub to shake off a 14-month long downward mental spiral, especially without a change of scenery.

And if they're a wash? Fitzpatrick talking with the staff and agreeing to come in with no promises to start and an expectation to groom is a far better situation than keeping Schaub who openly (and understandably) wants to remain a starter and has no interest in taking a back seat.

I'm interested to see if they intend to let 4 QBs jockey early in camp. Fitz getting $4M guaranteed means he's safe from a Lemon type preseason cut. TJ and Case would each be extremely easy to cut given they're owed virtually nothing in guaranteed dollars. Obviously at least one of them is gone, possibly both, but they could help provide insurance if the draft pick isn't close enough to be a reliable backup yet.

And I'm also happy that we're taking the cap hit now and improving next year's situation. This isn't a win now year, regardless of what McNair was saying.

Hoping the draft pick might be as high as a 5. Impressed that it's for this year and not a conditional for 2015 (based on Schaub 2014 performance). Hopefully we can improve (drastically) on our ability to mine day 3 value.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Schaub were on the books this season and was cut next offseason he would count $10.5 mil on the cap in 2014 and would have been either a $7 mil cap hit in 2015 or $3.5 mil in 2015 and $3.5 mil in 2016, depending on whether he was a June 1 cut or not.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Raiders don't have a 5th rounder, it'll be a 6th at best.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, you're reading that wrong, if they kept him he would have been a 14 mil cap hit this year and if he was cut after this year he'd have been a 7 mil cap hit in 2015 and nothing after that.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Schaub was a boil on the Texans' ass, and the new regime just lanced him. I can't believe anyone would complain about dumping him. The fact they could get anything for him at all is a miracle.

After today, the two biggest anchors around the Texans' neck are gone, Kubiak and Schaub, good riddance, nothing personal but the team wasn't going anywhere until those two losers were shown the door.

10. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Make since, they owed him a fresh start. Gearing up to offer Watt a huge deal

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Wooohoo I didn't think it could be done!

12. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

bingo!

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teams can designate 2 players as "June first cuts". Players with that designation have only that year's pro rated portion of their bonus applied to the upcoming season, and the remainder applied to the following season.

It was negotiated into the new CBA so that vet cuts wouldn't be stuck on the roster until the start of the season, at which point most cap money has been spent.

#153 Ottomaton, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Perfect for locking up jj watt long term

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That isn't too much of an issue. Raiders had 65 million in cap space going in to FA. They could absorb his entire hit and still be fine.

13th highest rated QB in NFL History!

(I'm going to go vomit with rage for a minute)

:(

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Dang. But good to know, thanks.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I was concern about your wellbeing a dozen or so posts back, Moes. Glad you're taking this in stride.

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Sooooo, Schaub finally gets a pick 6 that helps us.

4 people like this.
  19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Chop up 2 years of Schaub contract and also get a bonus pick?!?!?!? I'll give credit to Rick Smith for this one, well played.