1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 31, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

he has great OBP, that is not luck, is good eye and knows the strike zone.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tony Sipp has a nagging back/oblique issue, per AJ Hinch</p>&mdash; Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/638819043944763392">September 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ailing Sipp unlikely to pitch until Friday</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/638819334282829828">September 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I guess hot to me would be a lot of really hard hit balls whereas luck would be an inordinate amount of softly hit balls, choppers, and bloops. Good question though. I would think there's a strong correlation between line drives and being "hot".

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yeah, that's fair. Though by that definition, Valbuena was kinda "hot" when he was in a slump, right? :) Maybe someone needs to have an inflated babip *along with* an inflated hard-hit-ball %age to show that the babip's inflation has a lot to do with the player

5. CometsWin

Without more power, I wouldn't think his walk rate is sustainable in the majors. I don't think Luhnow is keeping him down because he's in love with Carter or anything. He just doesn't think he's ready. You know Singleton last year, people were crazy about calling him up and now we see that he just doesn't really have it. His swing is too long and he has this kind of slacker attitude or something. I'm not a Luhnow apologist but I think he knows some things we don't on White.

6. CometsWin

Ha, yeah. As long as he hits the ball he's "hot".

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

The only reason he is not in the majors right now is his 40 man condition.

If he was, he would be playing right now with our team.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The problem with Valbuena was he was trying to hit every pitch out of the park. This type of approach doesn't lend itself well with just getting hits. I know Brownie or one of those commentator guys said he had been working on reigning in his swing and not trying to hit everything out of the park. And, apparently, it is paying off as of late. It may hurt his HR production a little but he's getting more base hits.

9. right1

right1 Member

In1988 Wade Boggs had .476 OBP and only 5 HR.
    He walked 125 times and struck out only 34.times. 214 hits of which 203 singles and doubles.

10. CometsWin

I don't think that's quite it. I think Luhnow sees value in production by position and not just putting anyone at whatever position because he's had some offensive success. White or Tucker aren't mashers which is what you want from a first baseman. So Luhnow is trying to move White to catcher where his offense would be a lot more valuable and he's not moving Tucker to first because he'd wouldn't be a good offensive or defensive first baseman.

11. right1

right1 Member

He wasn't beating out any infield hits either. Pretty incredible.

12. CometsWin

I guess we'll just wait for Tyler White to be the next Wade Boggs. I'm feeling good about that.

13. right1

right1 Member

Well Astros don't need him for that. They need someone to hit .300 and get on base at a .400 clip.

Not .198 with a .297 OBP.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The broadcast commentary was surprisingly better last night.

No wonder.... Blum had replaced Ashby.

although I'm not a huge Ashby hater

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Again, White is not going to take significant DH at bats from Gattis, so using him as a DH is moot.

Their infield from here on in will be mostly a combination of Valbuena, Gonzalez, Lowrie, Altuve and Correa. White would not be replacing Carter. He would be replacing Valbuena or Gonzalez. He might be an upgrade, he might not. September is not the time to find out.

16. CometsWin

Well there are three first basemen in all of baseball that hit .300 and have a .400 OBP. Tyler White will never, ever, and I mean nevah, evah be in their class.

17. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

This. And Luhnow doesn't need to add another guy who will unnecessarily expose someone to the Rule 5 draft for one month of playing time.

18. CrashDavis

CrashDavis Member

OBP is supported by the high BABIP average as well. Yes he has a good OBP, but not this good. Venture to look at his AA stats will show you he was hitting .280 at AA...

19. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

The big picture. Luhnow sees it.

20. right1

right1 Member

Ok. I will note that you don't think Tyler White will be a .300 hitter ever in the major leagues with an OBP approaching .400. I will be interested in following his career as well as a number of these young Astros.