1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL]Kelvin Cato Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 21, 2009.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam, I am disappointed.

While it is great to honor a superstar like Cato, you can not forget a true legend like Walt Williams. He was the Wizard way before Roy Oswalt.

And where is the Stacey Augmon appreciation thread?

2. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I told this story in a different thread but here goes my best memory of the great Cato:

A friend and I were at Dave and Buster's, sitting at the bar, and watching some Rockets highlights. We then began discussing how badly Cato sucked. As you might imagine, this went on for some time. Eventually the bartender came over, gave us a couple of beers, and said, "It's on the guy over there." Sure enough, there was #13 sitting by himself drinking. We had the grace to be embarrassed at the time, but it makes for a good story now.

Best pre-season player of all time.

1 person likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What was your welcome-to-the-NBA moment?

In practice as a rookie [with Portland in 1997]. I got dunked on like crazy. Rasheed Wallace, Jermaine O'Neal, Gary Trent, they took me to school. They enjoyed it. I didn't.

What was your most embarrassing moment?

My third year, I went up for a dunk on a breakaway--there was nobody around, and I was feeling cocky. The ball hit the rim and went up 50 feet in the air. I was waiting and embarrassed at the same time. When it came down, it went through the net.

If I weren't in the NBA, I'd be ...

A probation officer, doing something to help kids who people don't understand. I'd want to be there to explain what this world is all about.

If I were commissioner for a day, I would ...

Cut out the little, stupid, ticky-tack rules, like how long your shorts can be, how long your socks have to be, where you can sit on the bench. I'd get rid of all that petty stuff.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1110156/index.htm

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Truly a prince among men.

I remember typing CATOMIC in the #clutchfans chatroom many times after he would throw oop after vicious oop.

Lisa Malosky had a tendency to call him Calvin Kato.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

So we can randomly tribute any former Rockets and ask for a sticky. Great control of the board. Thanks.

7. SamFisher

YOu are correct, Kelvin Cato did control the boards during his time here.

Thanks to YOU for sharing. :)

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent Thread! I'm glad we finally have an [OFFICIAL] one. I was getting so tired of trying to sort through all the different Cato tribute threads.

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

cato was aa very serviceable big man. he basically averaged like 7 rebounds in 25 minutesd a game. if he played 30 minutes a game that would be 10 rebounds a game or clsoe to it. He had agood inside presense on defense. Dont knwo why everybody has bad recollection of cato. he complemented Yao very well and was an enforcer.

sometimes i thikn ppl on this board has bad recollection form anything or anybody associated with the francis-mobley years, which really isnt fair

10. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Remember in that preseason game when he started foaming at the mouth? That was awesome.

I saw him a couple of times on the streets when he played here. He must've lived in or near my old neighborhood (Lakes of Parkway). Once saw him cruising down Eldridge in a Rolls Royce. My mom and I were gawking at him at a red light, and he sped off when it turned green. I then saw him a couple of years later checking out at Kroger. I think he was buying booze and he had at least 3 chicks with him.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kelvin's so awsome they named an institute after him.

Check out his fansite!

http://www.cato.org/

12. YaoforPrez

YaoforPrez Member

Kelvin Cato is the Greato
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5XzXEuyaJg

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

CATOMIC FTW!!!!!

I remember Yao's rookie year i went to a game whee James Posey went off scoring on the clippers from 3 ball and SF got into a a skirmish with Andre Miller.

Cato just sat on the bench and kept looking at the clipper dancer girls the entire time. Afterwards the game he tried to go say Hi to one of them and Keith Jones kept him moving towards the locker room

14. SamFisher

^These Cato anectdotes are like "The Office" in their awesomely awesome banality.

And they are awesome because they involve Calvin.

MORE PLZ

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gj1DV4bLogk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gj1DV4bLogk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

16. Lazy McGrady

Lazy McGrady Member

he is so broke he owes my shop alot of money

17. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

The triple double w/13 blocks? I was there. Good ol' Summit.

I thought he was the second coming of Olajuwon.

18. stroker

stroker Member

ROFLMAO!!

19. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Whenever they played Golden State on the road, he would always dominate and have an incredible stat line. It was uncanny.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Damn. Cato got old.