1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Just how good was he...thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YaosDirtyStache, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I agree on Sabonis but for about a 7 year run he was a better passer out of the post than CWebb or Gasol

2. Blake

Latrell was lightning quick and explosive early in his career at GS. Threw down monster dunks in traffic. Later in his career he was a more rounded player

Robinson was a long offensive machine with a smooth shot. Horrible defender

Brandon played hard and was a great passer who got a lot of steals.

Young Marbury could score at will and was a good passer.

3. Fefo

Fefo Member

cwebb was better passer than hakeem. Sabonis no doubt. I dont think u can put gasol with those guys, at least not yet.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

How good was Ken "the animal" bannister?

5. jocar

jocar Member

^someone pretending to have watched Rockets games in the 90's. Hakeem was the reason our 3 point shooters were so deadly. Passing out of double and triple teams on a nightly basis with only 3 TO's/game is far from "couldn't pass".

1 person likes this.
  6. Blake

Yeah, I may be wearing the homer glasses a bit with regards to CWebb but Hakeem was a great passer out of the post

7. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

How good was Ryan Bowen?

8. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I've seen some highlights, but would be curious of what people who actually saw Bill Walton play would say about how good he was both at UCLA and when he won the chip at Portland.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Hakeem passing thing, it wasn't so much his passing ability or instincts but rather his willingness to pass. When you're passing to Buck Johnson you kind of think twice.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

How good was Marvin Webster?

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I kind of wasn't paying as much attention as I would have liked to the NBA in general during this era so I have to ask:

Just how good was a prime Jamal Mashburn?

I saw the later Mashburn on the Hornets with Baron Davis dominate when not injured, but how about before that?

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jamal Mashburn really wasn't that great, but when he caught fire (which was fairly often in his prime) he was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. He had pretty good handles for a guy that size and during that day.

How good was Rick Barry?

13. sefril

sefril Member

how good was alvin robertson?

14. joe101

joe101 Member

Just how good were Michael Ray Richardson and Roy Tarpley?

15. tofu--

tofu-- Member

How dominant was George Gervin? I always hear silky smooth and stuff but I was never quite sure.

And Michael Cooper's defense. How awesome was it precisely?

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What about us? We know people think we both are little off, but still :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Hard to say...but for some odd reasons, the Bucks could've put up a slightly better fight against the Lakers. I do not think any of their big 3 was as good as Iverson, but the Bucks had 3 of scorers who were around 20 ppg or more, while all 3 were much more efficient than Iverson. Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, and Glenn Robinson were a tough trio to stop with a pretty decent supporting cast. Sidenote, means very little, but the Bucks actually swept the Lakers that year in the regular season with both Shaq and Kobe playing.

Problems...they weren't very good, defensively and no real center of note.

Still unlike the 76ers, you'd have to concentrate on taking out 3 scorers (really efficient) vs. one (not so quite efficient), which is much more difficult to do defensively. People do not seem to understand that this is why Miami is so tough to beat, along with having LeBron a part of that trio, good complimentary players, and being a defensively strong team. With Philly, they went as Iverson did, which is amazing to watch, but defeating over time. On the contrary with the Bucks, they could kill you in so many ways...outstanding ball movement, iso plays, and very good 3 point shooting team.

18. mig0s

mig0s Member

How good was James Posey? God I hated this guy as a person. One of the dirtiest players at the time but he was a perfect 6th man with good defense.

19. whozee

whozee Member

lol, obviously your Australian???

Anyway, i'll entertain you.
    Greatest NBL player ever. They named the MVP trophy after him because he won so many.
    Averaged 30ish for his entire career (20 seasons I think)

As an NBA player.....

Won a ring with the Spurs, but hardly played.
    Thats about it...

Probably not athletic enough for the NBA, but an absolute student of the game, lived for basketball.
    Was fun to watch back in the day.

1 person likes this.
  20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That's modest insult to how good Mookie was, he was pretty much a career all star caliber player who played in one of the most competitive eras for point guards and arguably top 6-8 point guard(Stockton, KJ, Payton, Kidd, T.Hardaway, P. Hardaway, Price, Cassell, Van Exel, Brandon, Abdul-Rauf, Marbury, Porter, Strickland, Anderson, and Adams.)