1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Just how good was he...thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YaosDirtyStache, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I saw all these guys play back to Jerry West. Every one of them people are asking about I think "oh man he was a beast". But remember back in the day we only got was like 1 NBA game on TV a week, in grainy black and white. And usually it was the Knicks because NY had the population and the was the home team of the TV execs.

We didn't get the whole season of Rockets basketball until the HSE network was formed in 1983. (http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/01/sports-cable-pioneer-dick-barron-dies-at-79/) I've probably spent more hours listening to Bill Worrel than any other person on Earth other than my wife.

With all this talk about trading for Carmelo and what would be Parsons role if that happened, take a look at what Bobby Jones gave the 76'ers from the 6th man spot. They are very similar players in my mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Jones_(basketball,_born_1951)

2. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Just how good was Tariq Adul-Wahad?

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I doubt there was a 50 pound difference at the point in time we were talking about. Sabonis was quite lean prior to his Achilles issues.

He was quite an athletic beast considering his size.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Ralph would have been around 225-230. How much heavier was Sabonis in 1988 vs. '84? In pictures he looks about the same size, and by the Seoul Olympics he weighed around 280.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

This was a 1982 game. I guess I wrote their ages out of memory in that post, Sabonis was actually 17 and Ralph was 22.

This is Sabonis in 1982:

[​IMG]

I imagine Ralph could've been lighter than 225 too.

Sabonis was 270 in Seoul, but I would guess he's at least 40 pounds lighter in that picture. Who knows, though.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just how good was the first black pro player?

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Just how good was:

1) Harold Miner
    2) Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    3) Chuck Hayes
    4) Sam Cassell
    5) Darius Miles

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sabonis is one of those "what if" cases. He's probably the best center in the world in his prime. It would be really interesting if he were allowed to play in the NBA before being injured and washed up.

9. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

How good was our own Robert Reid? I always thought he's pretty awesome (but then again I was 10), but looking back at his stats they are decidedly journeyman-like.

10. sw847

sw847 Member

Kj has always been my favourite player for some reason despite not watching many of his games live, just how good was kevin Johnson?