1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Harris isn’t bringing any progressive voters to the table. She isn’t even terribly popular with black voters.

While she is very bright, she is also very transparently insincere.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're the one making the claim that this is all based on random tweets. You're doing the typical, I'm going to make an assertion but not actually back it up and instead ask you to do it. I've already provided evidence.
    I asked you this two months ago but did you read the whole piece? It addresses pretty much all of the issues you raise. It also states that there has been harassment targeting Sanders supporters.

3. Major

Major Member

Elizabeth Warren doesn't have an anti-Bernie bias and yet when she dropped out, one of the few things she talked about was the virulence of some Bernie supporters. You have a pro-Bernie bias, so maybe you can't see that everyone not associated with the Sanders campaign sees this stuff.

4. Major

Major Member

Kamala doesn't appeal to young voters or progressive voters. She has no particular appeal to women voters than any other female VP pick wouldn't have, and California voters are pretty irrelevant in Presidential politics (plus, she's never done great in her California elections either). She doesn't really have any group that particularly is drawn to her.

jiggyfly, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well she did try to paint him as a sexist out of thin air so I don't think their relationship is on the best of terms.

Again, I doubt Warren did any sort of inquisitive inquiry on the validity of these random social media accounts and whether they are real Americans acting in good faith.

Quite frankly every candidate, public media figure etc can come out and say "so and so supporters are aggressive on social media platforms".

What I care about is the rhetoric of the actual candidate running for office. If he or she isn't using violent rhetoric such as Trump, the. I see no rational reason why that candidate's supporters would be more prone to bullying than another's.

The only thing any data collection study has suggested is that Bernie supporters are more prevelant than other DNC candidates' supporters online.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And yet... Harris polls well nationally...

https://www.mediaite.com/news/kamal...es-lists-and-cnn-poll-shows-why-theyre-right/
    https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/03/25/biden-running-mate-poll

Again, I am open to any of the following: Klobuchar, Lujan Grisham, Deming, Whitmer, Abrams, or Harris.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. biina

biina Member

The demographics the candidate appeals to will likely have a significant effect e.g. younger people in urban areas are more likely to engage on social media (and thus be aggressive on social media platform) than older rural area folks.

8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Catherine Cortez-Masto needs to be his VP pick. Frustrating that she hasn’t been lauded more often because she’s incredibly bright, Hispanic, from swingy Nevada, and has some good experience in the Senate and as an attorney general. However she didn’t run for President so of course her name recognition is lower

NewRoxFan likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The VP needs to be someone who can win in 2024.

Literally every single election now is "democracy is at stake" because the opposition is opposed to the very concept of a Democratic republic itself.

See Wisconsin on Tuesday if you don't think this is true.

Basically, which of these possible nominees will **** over the fascists worse....that is the criteria until the Republicans find humanity and reclaim their souls again.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    If Biden does choose a woman for VP, which he has said he would do, I just pray for her safety and well being. Let her be free from unwanted sexual advances, groping, and sniffing.

GOOD DAY

11. biina

biina Member

Dont worry, I am sure they will keep her very far away from Trump

12. biina

biina Member

But she didnt endorse Biden AFAIK, which would make picking her as VP over those who actually did seem ungrateful imo.

Also the potential for a female latino POTUS might scare some white voters away. There is a reason Trump found some success with his latino/mexico attacks

13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

She’s super smart though, no reasonable person could find animosity for her in my opinion. If she had glaring character flaws it’s easier for people to use that as an excuse for racism...and sure, people might just inherently be against her because of her name. But idk I think it’s time to break through that barrier. It would show the left wing of the party that Biden has the nuts to make a bold move forward

14. biina

biina Member

Unfortunately the US electorate are not much of critical thinkers, else we wont be in the situation we are in where many were conned by Trump (how is that coal thing working out - smh).

I wouldnt risk another 4yrs of Trump on that bet. Biden shouldnt do anything that would put the ticket at risk. He can appease the left wing with policy and appointments once he is office,.

Its more important that a VP pick solidifies any perceived weakeness on his part and (given Biden's age) 'VP as a potential POTUS' is a major one

15. NewRoxFan

Cortez-Masto seems like a promising Democrat but needs more visibility on the national stage. The good news is there are a number of promising people (eg Val Deming, Gretchen Whitmer, Katie Porter, Abigail Spanberger, Tammy Baldwin) that will create a new blue wave.

Nook likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She polls 4% points better than not sure.

And she topped some peoples list

Tht still does not answer the question of does she significantly add to the ticket which is why I question her as VP.

She also polled well as a nominee and we see how that affected her vote total.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

A Hispanic woman would shore up a weaknesses on Bidens part.

It solidifies the woman vote and would help ensure Latino voters will turn out.

Nook likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nevada is now in the blue camp but I'm not sure how confident the Party feels about that. She will be up for reelection in 2002 and it might make more sense for her to stay in the Senate.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I might push back on that. knowing racist Trumpers like I do, most of them don't think they are actually racist, and have vision in their mind of acceptable black/brown person they would be friends with vs. those they use the N-word for or choose your racist Hispanic word.

That's kind of a big part of their racism. Basically saying that you can be welcome to our society and circle of friends if you look and act a certain way. They'd vote for someone in that same spectrum as well. None of them really had a problem with Michael Steele as the RNC chair back in the day.

I'm not sure Biden loses a vote with any conservative leaning white voters who are seriously considering voting for him, but if there is potential to unlock the Hispanic vote in any meaningful way, that's a major plus. It's the biggest reason why Texas has been the unicorn that the Democratic Party has yet to realize. Florida is now in the same boat as Texas as it has the demographics to be a solid blue state, but it has horrible turnout and strategic voter suppression.

20. NewRoxFan

Good clear statement...