1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Joe 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd feel the exact same way if the options were Bernie Vs Trump.

One of them breaks us morally and ethically while the other breaks us financially …. in the case of Biden , I see him as a mediocre choice rather than bad.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I totally believe in battle testing the Dem candidate for sure before the general. My issue though with the strategy of the last few weeks has been less about realizing his own weaknesses and working to expand his electorate into the space of voters that were shopping Kamala/Beto/Warren/Amy/Pete and ultimately decided to come together to back Biden.

I say that cause I was/is one of those voters, and I feel like all Bernie has done the past few weeks is go negative on everyone and double down on his set of policy or the highway strategy which is such a turnoff. I was really shopping Bernie hard too for weeks cause I know how passionate folks like yourself are in his base and that’s a HUGE asset. I caught a period when he was the frontrunner when he held several press conferences where he took a subtle but noticeable shift on several issues to hint at pragmatism... the Bloomberg came along, Bernie surged more, doubled back down on his previous stances, and tripled down when Biden surged.

So I get it... we should think long and hard about Biden and battle test him in the primaries, but you are refusing to look at your own candidates flaws and realize that a good reason why we are here is because Bernie has run a base only strategy and struggled to reach out to voters like me who have been shopping for literally years now. Biden is flawed as hell but he has a huge electorate he appeals to. His flaw is that he appeals to the right wide scale base but has performance questions (gaffs, etc).

If Bernie can run more than a base strategy I’m in... but that obviously is something he’s just not wanting to do in a serious way so my vote ultimately went to Biden where I took a gamble that he could pull his act together for 8 months... I understand the risks, but I’ll risk the gaffs over running the risk of winning with a base only strategy.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right now we have three men in their 70's who are most likely going to be our next President. Two of them frequently mangle the English language and one recently had a heart attack. This is to be expected of men in their 70's along with other stuff. None of these guys were my first, second, or even third choice but this is what we have. I don't think supporters of either are in a good position to be making age and health an issue.

Nook and dobro1229 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Give me the one who doesn't mangle the English language. We've had less healthier presidents than Bernie.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Really? Sanders had a heart attack recently on the campaign trail. For that matter Sanders hasn't been transparent about it and still refuses to release all his medical records.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

He's released as detailed of medial records as his competition.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

None of them have had a heart attack in the last year and on the campaign trail.

I agree that we should see much more info especially from the guy currently in the office. That said if any of these guys were to suddenly die it wouldn't shock me. As the saying goes those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and if the Trump and Sanders campaigns wants to make health an issue all of them have existing or potential health issues. In fact while there are several indicators of health issues with Trump and Biden Sanders actually has a diagnosed health issue.

8. fchowd0311

Sanders doesn't make health of Trump really an issue. He has a one tract mind and that is economic populism and addressing the economic trends of the past 50 years.

Biden will probably touch more on that kinda stuff. That's his lane.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. adoo

adoo Member

11. mick fry

mick fry Member

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is anyone talking about the ability to withstand a coronavirus attack? Seriously, it's coming and there is no cure. With them interacting with large crowd frequently, both of these gentlemen is at high risk of getting infected. Let's talk about that, something that is real, realistic and on the way. Other than age, putting them in the 15% death lineup, who has preconditions that would drastically raise their chance of death?

This other things with clips snips is dumb... snip enough and you can even make Obama looks silly. Tongue tie and slips up happens, especially with Biden history and mental stuttering.

In case you take this seriously... :p

BTW, whatever you think of these men chances against Trump, the folks on the right trying to drive a knife between their supporters forgot that these two men are decent human being. Until they can convince us otherwise, that 'i will vote for a rock' over Trump is not going to change.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fair is foul and foul is fair.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump and friends are getting desperate - using manipulated media to try to spin their web of lies. Now it's Joe is too old and mentally incompetent - forget that Trump just rambles on randomly and thinks his gut is better than sound medical advice.

Next thing is that when this doesn't stick, Trump will resort to calling every single Biden corrupt all the way to the dog.

16. Major

Major Member

https://www.axios.com/joe-biden-cab...cks-b17882ac-3953-450f-8afb-38a3c8dcda57.html

Joe Biden confidants are privately discussing potential leaders and Cabinet members for his White House, including the need to name a woman or African American — perhaps both — as vice president, top sources tell "Axios on HBO."

Why it matters: Biden advisers describe a Return to Normal plan — a reversal of President Trump's unorthodox, improvisational style. Biden wants known, trusted people around him — many from the Obama years.

Several high-profile possibilities:

• John Kerry would love to take a new Cabinet position devoted to climate change, or might even accept a curtain call to return as secretary of state.
    • Susan Rice, formerly President Obama's national security adviser, is another option for State.
    • Mike Bloomberg, who swiftly endorsed Biden after the former mayor's campaign collapsed, would be a top possibility to head the World Bank.
    • Sally Yates, the deputy attorney general under Obama who stood up to Trump and was fired, would be a leading contender for attorney general.
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren as Treasury secretary could help unite the party.
    • Jamie Dimon — chairman and CEO of JPMorgan Chase, and mentioned over the years as a potential presidential candidate — would also be considered for Treasury.
    • Anne Finucane, vice chairman of Bank of America, is another possibility for Treasury.
    Biden advisers expect Pete Buttigieg to get a prominent slot after his swift endorsement of Biden — perhaps as ambassador to the UN, or as U.S. trade representative.

• Both would help credential Buttigieg for a future national campaign.
    Behind the curtain: Campaign officials say the name game isn't where Biden's head is — he knows he has major primary and general-election fights ahead.

• Officials point out they don't yet have a transition — and haven't run a process that would surface new talent, like Dr. Steven Chu, the Nobel Prize physicist who was Obama's first secretary of energy.
    But it's a sign of the sudden optimism around his candidacy that some in his circle of trust are starting to think down the road, starting with the V.P. pick:

• Some Biden advisers hope he could overcome hard feelings from the Obama years and pick Warren for V.P. to excite party progressives.
    • Also high on the list of potential Biden picks for #2 are several African Americans: Sen. Kamala Harris (first on many lists) and Sen. Cory Booker, both of whom ended their nomination fights before the voting began ... former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, who ended his presidential campaign after New Hampshire ... and former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, who electrifies crowds.
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar is in the mix, too.
    Others who could bring diversity and relative youth to the ticket include Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois and Rep. Val Demings of Florida, who got high marks as a House impeachment manager.

• One adviser told us when we asked who the V.P. pick would be: "Whoever Jim Clyburn wants it to be."
    • Indeed, Biden feels Clyburn — the South Carolinian who is the highest ranking African American in Congress — helped raise him from the dead with his endorsement. Black voters on Super Tuesday sealed Biden's political salvation.
    Another swath of likely picks are comfort food — longtime loyalists who are integral to the campaign:

• Tom Donilon, national security adviser under Obama, would be considered for CIA director, director of national intelligence, or secretary of state.
    • Tony Blinken, deputy secretary of state and deputy national security adviser under Obama, could go to State or become national security adviser.
    • The chief of staff would likely be Ron Klain, who held that job for him when he was veep.
    • Steve Ricchetti could be counselor, along with Mike Donilon, Biden's longtime political guru.
    • Anita Dunn, who helped turn around the campaign and bring in more money, also might go inside.
    • Ditto Ambassador Cathy Russell, a top State Department official for Obama who earlier was chief of staff to Dr. Jill Biden.
    • Ted Kaufman, former senator from Delaware, has been in Biden's inner circle forever. Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware also might get a big job.
    The sources see Harris as a promising choice for attorney general if she's not on the ticket.

• Michèle Flournoy, an Obama undersecretary of defense, would be the favorite to run Biden's Pentagon.
    • Morgan Stanley exec Tom Nides could get secretary of commerce, trade rep or some other top post.
    The bottom line: Biden, a throw-back institutionalist, relishes an emphasis on governing, norms and restoring alliances.

• That includes respect for experts, and for the art and science of governing.
    • This evolving plan is all in Biden's comfort zone — all meant to send a public signal of stability.

Jayzers_100 and KingCheetah like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Michigan is a notoriously difficult state to poll, but with that said...

RayRay10 and KingCheetah like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

There were several polls the last few days showing Biden +20 there. That said, Sanders was down 20 in 2016 and pulled one of the biggest upsets of all time there. But prediction markets now have Biden willing ALL remaining states in the primary. If that happens, that would put Biden at 43 states, Sanders at 6, and Pete at 1.

Tomorrow is supposed to have a lot of territory favoring Sanders. If he loses all 6 states, I wonder if he even makes it to March 17th (when I assumed he'd drop out).

19. justtxyank

20. justtxyank

Biden is running away with this. Bernie needs a major shakeup for this to even be worth covering on the news anymore.

If he gets smoked tomorrow in Michigan...

RayRay10 likes this.