1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jets @ Texans (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Aug 8, 2011.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So if Mario can't tackle in the backfield he gets to stop moving? Great news for his ability to stay healthy this year!

2. justtxyank

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I will readily admit to not keeping a running file of people’s opinions of the Texans. But I’d volley the same concern back to you, re: my homerism. Will you not at least concede there’s a preconception you have when you read my posts? Read just these responses and your tone and then tell me there’s not a bias I’m having to fight, too.

He was actually quite good against the run.

But he’s no longer a DE is 4-3 scheme. You’re comparing apples to bowling balls. The 3-4 is based, in large part, around freeing up at least 1 edge rusher to do nothing but pursue the QB. That’s why there’s an extra LB on the field – to help fill the gap he’s going to leave.

But don’t take my word for it – here are two random nobodies named Phillips and Williams talking about it. (Emphasis mine, btw):
    It almost like he’s addressing your post directly, isn’t it, what with his dismissing any notion that a 4-3 DE is the same an 3-4 OLB? So, 15 plays into this grand experiment, you’re concerned about a part of his game that falls anywhere between 0 and 10% of his responsibilities, according to the defensive coordinator and player.
    Reread the quotes above and then let’s just move on.

So we’re here solely to spout opinions and not have them challenged? Engaged? There’s no room for healthy debate?

“All of your ridiculous, stupid comments are stupid. Except for 1/3 of them. But the rest: STUPID!”

FYI – While the Brahman comment was very obviously a gross exaggeration, if you didn’t at least cringe at Schaub’s performance the other night… then I can only assume you slept through last season. An opening drive 3-and-out followed by a lackluster performance of poor throws very much looked like much too much of last year. But seriously: STUPID!

Actually, there’s nothing remotely ridiculous about a knee-jerk reaction. It’s based on habitual, involuntary behavior. If I tap your knee, it is going to jerk. Ergo: If the Texans play, I’m going to b****. [/lecture]

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

5. justtxyank

Ric, if the statements by Wade and Mario are actually true and not just 1. things they are saying to the media (I know, hard to believe the Houston media would be fed lines but just pretend for a minute) and 2. not hyperbole (90%) then I will just say that Mario just misunderstood his role on Monday when he actually tried to tackle a RB. Once he gets used to the system he will realize when they run to his side he can just quit on the play and then his quickness standing up won't be a concern and instead I will switch to joy that he is going to be healthy for an entire season for the first time this year.

Wade also compared Mario's role to that of Demarcus Ware. Less than half of Ware's usual tackle totals are sacks or stuffs. In fact, in his HUGE sack year or 20, he had 9 stuffs along with it. That's 29 tackles that occurred "at the line of scrimmage or behind it." He had 40 other solo tackles. So, is Wade telling the truth when he says Mario will do nothing but rush or is he telling the truth when he says he will be like Ware?

6. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Nope, but there are 5-7 other defenders known as the 2nd line of defense. Typically, they're there to handle those types of things.

Please see the quotes posted by Ric:

Wade Phillips:
    I think he's the rush guy we need. You have to put him in the spot that gives him the best chance to rush the passer all the time and be your star rusher.

Mario Williams:
    Wade told me he'll put me in the best position to make plays, and the biggest thing that got my attention was when he said, 'Just go.' He wants me to get after the quarterback 90 percent of the time. He said, 'When the ball's snapped, I want you to go, be fast and get the quarterback.'… Playing defensive end, I have a few more responsibilities. Being an outside linebacker, I'm always on the edge. When the ball's snapped, it's full go after the quarterback.

If it's not making sense yet, then well...

7. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

You're right, he's probably lying.

8. justtxyank

See my post above. If that ends up being true, great! Wade would be telling the truth and a lie at the same time.

Anyway, I simply observed something and made a prediction. Guess who's going to be unhappy if they end up being wrong about a prediction they made about a player on a football team?

(hint: it won't be me:) )

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Those quotes should only indicate what is well known about Wade's scheme - he wants guys getting across the line every down, not occupying blockers or holding gaps in a read style.

Those quotes were there specifically to waylay concern about Mario in coverage. They do not mean Mario's job is limited to getting the QB - only half the time will there be a passer to get. If it's a run play his direction, he has a responsibility to make a play on the ball after coming across.

Every man on the field has some level of run responsibility, even the secondary. You know that.

If a CB is known to be blown out of every run play by a blocking WR, he gets heat for it too.

Here's hoping Mario improves. No one is going to be great at it their first go.

10. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Good back and forth... Here's to the Texans' and Mario' success this season.

11. justtxyank

I get your sarcasm. Honestly though, do you believe in coach speak? Particularly with our media in this city, do you believe coaches say things to the media that isn't entirely true and/or much less complex than reality?

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Are you sure? Are you sure you don't keep an extensive catalog of notes on any member who dares have a critique of the Texans so you can extensively and exhaustively quote and answer every single remark?

1 person likes this.
  13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

what about player speak? i get coach speak, but i don't think players will come out and blow sunshine out their asses about specific players if it's not the case.

14. justtxyank

How is that I just noticed your sig for the first time? That amused me greatly!

15. justtxyank

What do you mean? I definitely think the players dumb down their answers for the media as well if that is the question.

But what are you referencing about blowing sunshine out of their butts about specific players?

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

justtxyank - I'm fine with negativity. No issues whatsoever. It's the *constant* negativity, board-wide, at the expense of *any* reasonable debate that drives me crazy. If you dare say, "Wait a minute..." in the face of an avalanche of hate and negativity - you're branded a homer, an apologist, etc., *especially* if it's me, King Homer. From there, any chance for insightful discussion gets swept away as the horde mentality takes over.

Just look at this thread's progression: you expressed "real" concern (going so far as to predict the Texans will "have major cap room next year when Mario is on another team"); I countered (guys are injured; it's early - let's give it a little more time). I didn't negatively comment on your opinion; I didn't even really disagree with it. And your not snarky response?:
    I recognize that people bristle at my posting style - I get that it can be abrasive and/or that people perceive it as abrasive. (It’s actually not but – I get it. I’m opinionated.) But it's a two-way street and you can't tell me you're not instantly looking for a fight when you see me respond to your posts. You admit as much. I mean, again – I merely suggested giving a rather large, complicated undertaking more than 10 days before expressing “real concern” and discussing a Mario-less Texans in 2012.

If I’m not your cup of tea, if you can’t drop your preconceptions (earned or otherwise) then sure – put me on ignore. But personally, I have no interest in ignoring any posters who are passionate, insightful and up for discussion.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

antonio smith's comments on mario (which of course i cannot find now, but were very complimentary towards him in the olb position).

18. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

He basically said that no one could stop him at camp...

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Well, this thread went downhill faster than Mario Williams.

I'm kidding!

2 people like this.
  20. justtxyank

I bet you are great at playing the victim in real life.

Ric, it is clockwork. I made a comment that was not complimentary and there you are trying to educate me, even using the old "not going to happen overnight" statement to point out how ridiculo...wait..."knee jerk" it is is to express concern this early. I wonder, if I had made a post that read "Watt is a high motor guy. I think this guy is going to be a stud." Would you have responded to that and let me know how rid...knee jerk...it is to make a prediction this early?

I don't think your posting style is abrasive. Just predictable.
    No, I'm not looking for a fight with you and I don't "admit as much."

Quite the compliment coming from someone who denied such posters existed earlier in this thread.