1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jets @ Texans (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Aug 8, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yep. Same thing that happened to Richard Seymour when he went from the Patriots to the Raiders.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

The knee-jerk store called...

1 person likes this.
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The Texans won't trade Mario before the trade deadline....that's way too early in the process. Mario will not be traded unless he is extended, so franchise tag is irrelevant.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My constant negativity toward the team in general? Are you kidding me? I have a negative feeling toward Gary Kubiak as a head coach and Rick Smith as a GM. Oh, and Jacoby Jones. I don't like receivers that can't receive. And Kareem Jackson. I like corner backs that stay on their feet.

I think Wade Phillips is a good D-coordinator. I'm glad he is here. I think the team has a shot to make the playoffs. I defended the Texans letting Leach go. I think Vickers is a good replacement. I've expressed my excitement to get to see more of Casey. I've defended Matt Schaub. (Hell I own his jersey!)

I think you are so defensive you can't see where people can have legit concerns and issues without being negative "toward the team in general."

Completely ridiculous. When he was a DE, was his only job to get sacks Ric? Was it? Or did he play the run as a DE? Did you yourself point out how good he was against the run as a DE? I sure hope not. (but I bet you did)

Of course he has to play the run. He has to. And it is not a stupid thing to evaluate him on. Heck, his ability to play the run has been used the past few years to counter people who point out his low sack totals! (Sacks aren't the only thing!) He can't rush the QB on every play because the QB won't be throwing every play. His ability to move in space will be important and it is important for DeMarcus Ware and Harrison and every over 3-4 linebacker.

Of course it is early. I have acknowledged that. I am not commenting at all on any scheme issues specifically for that reason. Too early to evaluate understanding of schemes. Too early to be concerned with someone not "getting it." Physical things can be evaluated though and a predictions can be made. That's what we are here for right? Why didn't you even come to this thread after the game if it was completely impossible for there to be anything worth discussing? Was it just to lecture the mouth-breathers who comment on what happened?
    Again, ridiculous. None of the stupid things you said in this paragraph come anywhere close to me saying that a lifetime 4-3 DE who is a monster of a man might not be long for the 3-4 system as an OLB. Except for the Arian Foster injury prone issue as he has actually had quite a few injuries.

If they are knee-jerk, which you've called them, I'd think that would make them ridiculous. Unless you are now saying they are "credible" which if true, is great and I'm glad you see that and hope you will cease with your lectures going forward.

5. justtxyank

?

Franchise tag is after the season, unless the new CBA got rid of it? You franchise him after the season plays out and then you can either extend him, trade him or he can take the 1 year franchise tender.

6. rezdawg

Seymour was traded before the season began, so unless the Texans are planning on trading Mario within the next few months, it's not gonna happen.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

No, it isn't.

The Tuesday following week 6 is the deadline.

If he isn't taking to the system, and someone (especially an NFC team) is willing to give you a handsome ransom for him, they might do it.

Mario's eligibility for the franchise tag just makes him all the more of a candidate to be traded, if he was exempt from the franchise tag, the chances of him getting traded would be very, very low.

8. justtxyank

Yeah, you would franchise him after this season and then you trade before next season.

9. rezdawg

The franchise tag is a percentage of total salary cap now...not sure if any team wants Mario at a 15 mil a year price tag. A million stars must align for Mario to be traded without an extension.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If no one ever expresses such reasoned, insightful rationality, how can I possibly underestimate it?

I think the philosophical difference here is that you seem to think I’m trying to negate your “concern” – I’m not; I’m merely trying to soften it and keep it in perspective. Huge, gargantuan-sized difference. (IMO, anyway.)

We ALL have concerns. I don’t recall any “SLAM DUNK” posts this offseason regarding the switch to a 3-4, in general, and Mario’s move, specifically. I certainly never offered any such “analysis.” It seems there are those of us who trust Wade explicitly; those who are at least willing to give Wade a chance; those who are leery and have been burned too many times by this organization/regime, and Hillboy. I straddle the first two: By and large, I trust Wade. But I’m absolutely concerned about the loss of the offseason and how it impacted not only the implementation of his system but his time to properly evaluate his personnel.

With regards to Mario, with a full offseason of access, I think Wade would have had enough time to make a definitive decision on where to properly place Mario in his scheme. Instead, he had to go with film (remember, Wade just “met” Mario a month ago because of the embargo) – that, above all else, is my biggest concern. I fear a regular season transition IF he has indeed whiffed on this.

So yes; I’m concerned in general. But I’m going to give them every single day of practice and all 4 preseason games before I let what happens on the field bother me. Loooooooong way to go.

(And I’ll never care about his ability to pursue a RB.)

11. justtxyank

They don't get him at $15 million a year. When you franchise him you can work a trade out to another team who can sign him to a deal independent of the franchise tag. He only gets that contract if he signs the franchise tender.

12. justtxyank

:rolleyes:

Before it bothers you? Who is bothered? You've bothered me, not what happened on the field.

Good. I'm glad you will never care about whether or not teams can run the football at will against us.

How about we agree to ignore each other? Since you don't believe I've ever offered "reasoned, insightful rationality" and I believe you can't handle any discussions about the Texans that deal with negativity (I mean after 10 years of their greatness who could blame you!) why don't we just agree not to address each other anymore?

13. msn

msn Member

I hope Mario becomes something only a couple notches short of Demarcus Ware.

Because if he doesn't, this will be David Carr all over again. Pages upon pages of mindless back-and-forth, by folks too invested in their own opinions, with one side of the argument holding on for months after it was obvious the ship had sailed.

And yes, I was the guiltiest party of all! I'll try to employ some self-control with regards to Mario and keep my take to, "Hope he works out!"

14. msn

msn Member

wow. 

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm concerned about Mario's transition, I'm very encouraged by the strides made by the defense on the whole. I'm hoping for the best but don't need everything to pan out perfectly to be happy. Just give us a defense that can hold its own and move the team forward to a playoff berth, maybe a division crown.

I think it's very possible for them to achieve that this year.

16. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

He has already proven to be a better pick than Bush and Vince Young.

Mario has been our best player on defense since we got him. I can't believe people are jumping ship on him after one freakin preseason, c'mon were talking about the preseason! It looks like the scapegoat for this year has already been pinned...

17. justtxyank

Completely agree. I don't think I'm being negative about the team here. I am not going to be unhappy if the 3-4 works and Mario doesn't. I'm with you, I think they have a real shot to get to the playoffs this year.

I am loving the high motors of Watt and Reed. Reed looked unpolished (don't freak out I know it is early) but he seems relentless.

1 person likes this.
  18. msn

msn Member

You won't get any argument from me. I simply fear that that won't stop the drivel-fest and mud-bath that is to come if Mario doesn't look like the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

19. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

My friend, you are not getting it. 4-3 DE's and 3-4 rushing OLB's in Wade's defense play the run ON THEIR WAY TO THE QB. Not in space, but at and behind the line of scrimmage.

His inability to move in any space that isn't at or around the tackle box is irrelevant, though any proven ability there is obviously a plus.

It's simple: Apply pressure and attempt to sack or tackle for a loss. Mario Williams has been one of the best at this. Now he has to prove that he can do it from the rush OLB position.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member