1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Jeremy Lin IS a Houston Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Jul 17, 2012.

1. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Dolan controls one of the biggest media empires in the world--cablevision. You can directly or indirectly trace most of the hated articles back to Dolan through Cablevision subsidiaries.

And wasn't it ironic that those hated articles started to pop up right after Houston offered the "poison pill" contract? That was his way of doing the "damage control" for what was about to happen, just dragged Lin's name through the mud and made him look less of a villain.

The decision not matching Lin's contract wasn't because of poison pill. Dolan had the ultimate decision but it was made by the guy who said, "THIS IS MY HOUSE."

Dolan manipulated Knicks fans for years via his "media dogs." For a team who hasnt won a title for more than 40 years, Knicks have the second highest ticket price in NBA. I feel really really bad for the some of diehard Knicks fans. My hat off to them! They are the ultimate Timex, who take a licking and keep on ticking.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

My boyfriend is one of those. I always tell him that he should go find a nicer team to root for. He was pissed about the Lin decision but he still roots for the Knicks. Don't understand why he is such a die hard. They have some nice pieces but I just don't see the appeal.

3. carayip

carayip Member

Any team with Carmelo Anthony as the face of franchise is hard to root for. Ask your BF to convert to a Rockets fan if he likes Lin. :grin:

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

He would never do that. He grew up in NY he bleeds "orange and blue". NYkers have this NYk arrogance that is so foreign to me as a non-NYk native. For a franchise that hasn't won anything in 40 years they are mad arrogant.

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I've seen Dragic's and Lowry's games (league pass abuser) and the floor game he runs is just different. Lin has that je ne said quoi "it" factor that is head and shoulders better than those two. Not just a little better, a world of a difference, and I know they were good PGs.

Check out this highlight of one of his less heralded games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc45OZofsZs&feature=related

I think with this year's Rocket's team, the offense will run itself with Lin, Lamb, D-Mo, Parsons. If they can have a never-say-never attitude and not sell themselves short and defend and rebound like crazy men, they can make some noise in the NBA. That's why I'm quite high on Asik, I just hope he doesn't continue to have stone hands like Kwame had his whole career.

The only concern is their youth. Young bucks rarely, if ever, can play quality defense as a group good enough to compete. We'll see. I'm officially excited though.

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

It's so true. Knicks have one of the biggest fanbases in NBA and every year, drinking kool aid and wear their orange and blue tinted glasses, thinking this is the year they will win it all. You can't argue with them otherwise. And every year ends up in dissappointment. I really admire their spirit.

This year is no exception. They will be somewhere around 6-8 and another first round exit. The current Knicks is not built for a championship run. It's a dysfuctional organization from owner to some of the players.

Heck, as long as they pack the MSG, nothing else really matters. Championship, fans and everything else are secondary.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol I am the exact same way. Have to get my money's worth. I drew the line though at watching Bobcat games though.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Did Lin invite you to church of something? I don't think you know the definition of Proselytize.

9. amaru

amaru Member

You could say the same about Houston. 14th pick 3 years in a row. 1 Playoff series win since Olajuwon left.....career ending injury to the first all-star center since Hakeem....no all-stars now.

NYK has 2 players who were key players on a championship team, a prolific scorer in Anthony and when healthy a good player in Amare'. I can def. see the appeal.

10. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

lol there is nothing "prolific" about Carmelo Anthony.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yes but there coach has a terrible playoff record when he formerly coached the Hawks. Yes the Knicks are a lot more talented than the Hawks team he coached but still. Woodsons X's and O's need some work. Also, they decided to pass on Lin for Felton. Lin who is a much better pnr pg than Felton. Would it not make the most sense to partner the best pnr finisher in the NBA (Amare) with the best pnr pg available? They have talent but they have a childish owner ( as seen from him letting a young asset go because he got played by the MIT grad) and a weak coach (as seen from his playoff record) who likely won't get them out of the conference finals. Plus they are capped out for the next 3 seasons and are one of the oldest teams in the league. It all starts at the top and with Dolan as the owner they won't win anything anytime soon. That is what I keep telling my BF. They are not a nice team to root for.

12. carayip

carayip Member

Nah, go watch last year's Knicks games without Lin. The bball they played was downright ugly, full of slow placed one on one isolation. I doubt much will change next year with the same coach and more or less same players. Bball game is an entertainment. Even if you don't have the results, at least make it interesting. The Knicks are a definition of underachieving, losing PLUS boring team. Plus I for one would rather root for good character non all stars than those all star losers like Carmelo and JR Smith. Maybe that's just me.

13. jogo

jogo Member

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

So true. Almost anyone can become a top scorer if he shoots enough.

There is something that's far more important than points/game, and thats "offensive efficiency."

If Durant attempts 90 shots and scores 100 points, and Carmelo needs 110 shots to score 105 points. Who is a better scorer?

Don't let that PPG fool you. On paper, Carmelo is a better scorer, but actually Durant is a far better player.

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

But I think that Lin showed them a roadmap of what worked. Plus they have a lot of pressure and expectations to meet. Anyways, I think the Rockets will make the playoffs this year especially if Lamb would learn what defensive intensity is. Hopefully Asik, Lin and gang puts the Hustle back in Hustle-Town

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yes KD is the better player. That is for sure.

18. carayip

carayip Member

KD also looks like a better person to root for.

19. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Melo would be better on a team that was built entirely around him. Instead, they try to import him into MDA's system with Amare.

20. carayip

carayip Member

A team entirely built around Melo is going nowhere.