1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Jaguars @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2020.

1. SuraGotMadHops

It is clear the players are all breathing sighs of relief that BOB is gone, he had lost the locker room. One of the radio guys this morning made a great point about BOB, if you're going to be a hard ass, you better deliver results. If you come off as a hard ass and make boneheaded game decisions, the players will start rolling their eyes when you decide to get "tough," respect will be lost and the season will torpedo, just as it had done before BOB's firing.

Omihall23, King1, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think Cal is a complete waste of space but it doesn't give me any confidence in him to go back to the well and hire the same firm his dad hired back in 2013. From my Google search, they interviewed:

Bill O'Brien
    Wade Phillips
    Lovie Smith

And might have interviewed Ken Whisenhunt.

So, in total, they interviewed 1) the "hottest" name in college football at the time 2) the interim head coach from the previous season 3) a former NFL coach that could have been used to satisfy an NFL policy and 4) a guy that Rick Smith was familiar with. In the end they went with the "hottest" name in college football, which doesn't say much in regards to the firm's ability to cast a wide net to find the best coach possible.

dookiester and Fiah like this.
  3. dookiester

dookiester Member

i wonder what metrics give a firm like that credibility and justifies their pricetag. like, >50% of their head coaching recommendations have resulted in success on the field (e.g. make playoffs, win division)? by these metrics, would bill o'brien be considered a successful recommendation on their resume and add to their credibility?

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

A quick google led me to this article

https://huntscanlon.com/korn-ferry-recruits-new-head-coach-for-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Do they have the cache of working with the most well-known names in football? Sure, but it doesn't seem like they're doing anything more than "Let's put this high profiled coach with this organization". I mean, it does lessen the risk that their advice would be a failure but it doesn't bode well if this team is trying to look for someone new and different within the OC/DC ranks.

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

i guess at least it's a good sign they didn't name drop their prior work for the texans as an example of their best work.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Search firm (for a HC) is a waste of time/money.

2013-2014: Bill O'Brien, Lovie Smith, Ken Whisenhunt, Wade Phillips
    2005-2006: Gary Kubiak, Pat Hill, Kippy Brown, Jerry Gray, Scott Linehan, Al Saunders, Cam Cameron

https://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/12/lovie-smith-interviews-for-texans-coaching-position/
    https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-find-a-front-runner-for-coaching-job-1908404.php

Counting Kubiak, the Texans have interviewed seven candidates, including Fresno State coach Pat Hill on Monday. Because he's a college coach who is concerned with recruiting, Hill politely declined comment.

The other candidates were Texans receivers coach Kippy Brown, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jerry Gray, Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders and San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

The Texans were interested in Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz but were not able to schedule an interview with him.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. conquistador#11

Just receiving yards.
    Fuller 332 yrds 3 tds. ranks 6th in the AFC (projected 1000 yards at current pace.)
    Cooks 300 yrds 1 tds ranks 10th in the AFC(projected 1000 yards at current pace
    And Cobb is only 11 yards from ranking 15th with his 260 yards (projected 820 yards)
    Just having fun with the wr core

bobrek and Fulgore like this.
  9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Firing Easterby doesn't = gutting your full upper management staff. I already explained why it wasn't about my feelings, go reread my last post.

As far as thinking Cal is stupid...If you allow a guy like BOB to assume as much power as he did within your organization, you ain't the sharpest tool in the shed...

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Name the Upper Management for the Texans?

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

https://www.houstontexans.com/team/front-office-roster/

There is certainly one person on that list who could be acting gm-especially since your assertion is that hes just a figure head not really doing anything other than "off field ops". (which isn't true).

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

When Kubiak got fired, even though I kinda agreed I was worried that things could get worse. When Rick Smith got fired, I agreed with the firing but also thought things could get worse. I had none of that concern with O'Brien. The arrow is trending upward.

To add to that, the team didn't get better with their firings. The Texans didn't win another game after Kubiak was fired. The team didn't go on a winning streak after Rick Smith left. With O'Brien, I can see the team turning things around quickly. It's possible. The team could finish out 8-4 the rest of the season.

Xenon, Blatz, BigShasta and 2 others like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Really there is not. Jamey Roots is a business guy. Easterby is really the only person there.

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Easterby was a team Chaplin. Why is he any more qualified then somebody else who has been around the league for years? Again, this is assuming that all he is doing is sitting around waiting for personell emergencies.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Easterby started as team Chaplin. He was doing more with the Pats.

17. HardenVolumeOne

thats a huge indictment on coaching, forcing a talented player like dw4 to be pigeon holed in your remedial offensive scheme. Watson will now finally be unleashed, its crazy how good he was with BOB coaching, and how much better he will be going forward

18. conquistador#11

He was only one of the best Play action passers back in 2018 when the 'gameplan offense' called for it more. It's just so absurd that you would "establish"
    the run on a down to down to down basis only to do very minimal play action passes.

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We found out whose job it was to have a 4th down play!!