1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Indians @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 19, 2021.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In the 16 games prior to the last 9 he was slashing 1.079.

I'm not sure what your definition of mediocre is, but I don't think that qualifies

Astrodome, cmlmel77 and Major like this.
  2. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Correa has the 13th best fWAR in the sport right now. Not really that worried about him

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

4. Major

Major Member

He has a 0.739 OPS in 25 games despite going 1-25 in the last 9 of those (36% of the sample size). Think about how good he had to be in the first 64% of that to maintain that number.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. He's been good most of the year. Lately, he's been awful. Hopefully it is due to recovering from his illness. Also, swinging at way too many pitches way off the plate and taking too many inside the box.

6. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

This is the rational take. He was doing really well early and sub-par lately. His numbers on the year are equal to or better than his average season. Ultimately, it's how he plays in Sept/Oct/Nov that I really care about.

Attached Files:

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unless Correa has an undisclosed back flare up, there is absolutely zero reason he shouldn’t start hitting well again.

he’s always going to cause polarizing takes in here. Whether it was early on people accusing him of only wanting to be in NY (never true) or people not liking his overall demeanor, and now people analyzing every single AB post illness.

Just a very low threshold to be **** on.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Almost makes you wonder if his back is flaring up again, and he doesn't want to say anything because he knows it will probably cost him about $100 million off his big offseason contract. From the way he's hitting though I don't believe that's the case. When CC had back issues during 18-19 there was a noticeable stiffness in his back during his swings. After a big swing and miss he would also kind of arch his back to stretch it out which I'm not seeing either. Who knows though.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It wasn't that long ago when Springer would run ultra hot/ultra cold. Altuve is currently doing his best Chris Carter impression of either hitting HR's or getting out. Bregman can't stay healthy, and even when he was... he wasn't hitting much. Correa just doesn't get the same treatment here.

If the inflection point on Correa was July 6th, that's 2 days before he came down with an illness that put him in the protocol... safe to say he probably had some symptoms around that time before he reached the point of Dusty saying "he's really sick".

Add the ASB, and he ended up taking more than a week off from regular AB's. He had a couple of hard line-outs in Chicago. Had an opposite field near 3-R HR on Wednesday. Yes, he seems out of sorts with takes in the zone vs. swinging at sliders, but I don't see the feeble "hiding an injury" type swings.

I just don't get the major angst when it comes to him vs. others. (again, presuming no injury).

10. CinematicFusion

Correa is in a slump. He will break out of it. Usually the sign is him hitting the other way with power. Getting his timing back.

Correa like most hitters is streaky.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is streaky. He gets hurt pretty often. He is awesome if available in the playoffs. This is the Astros conundrum. I would give him 30m 5 years and think that is a gamble. Any more years need to be at a reduced rate. Corea is overrated if we are talking 30m a year.

12. CinematicFusion

Agree, I would not do a 10 year contract.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How will the Astros make the Rangers look like the 27 Yankees this time?

14. CinematicFusion

Tatis Jr. signed for 24.29 million a season or 340 for 14 years. Top SS in the league.

Astros didn't give Correa a bad offer at 125 million for 5 years. Give Correa an option of 150 million for 5 years (30 a year) or 200 million for 8 years. (25 a year)

No way you give him a lindor contract. Lindor is hitting .228 this year. OBA of .325. Terrible numbers to start a 10 year 340 million contract. Could be a terrible contract so far.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Can we change the Thread Title to "[Official] Guardians @ Astros"

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tatis bought out 6 years of would be cheap team control.

In reality it was more like an 8 year 310 million dollar extension.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tatis is on one of those co-op type agreements in which a percentage of his contract gets pooled with other players in the agreement (minor leaguers at the time of entering agreement). I would expect SD sees this as a bargain with Tatis not betting on himself (and inflation) now twice.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I was hoping they'd go with Spiders but this is pretty good, too. Anything is better, tbh.

Xopher likes this.
  19. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I think they should have went with Spiders.

20. CinematicFusion

If I were San Diego I would see this as a bargain. As long as he doesn’t get hurt, the numbers work out to under 25 million a year for 14 years.
    As for his base compensation:

• 2021: $1 million (10 million signing bonus)
    • 2022: $5 million
    • 2023: $7 million
    • 2024: $11 million
    • 2025-26: $20 million
    • 2027-28: $25 million
    • 2029-34: $36 million