1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

yup. lot of problems with this team, even making the WCF last year. this only removed one of them

poor sirbaihu.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Lol this season has been such a waste. Has any other team gone from WCF/ECF the previous season and then not even make the playoffs the next year?

3. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

True. But it doesn't invalidate what McHale had accomplished in his 4 previous seasons with the team. If you examine those seasons objectively, the Rockets CLEARLY overachieved in 3 of those 4 seasons. They exceeded pre-season projections in 2011, in 2012, and again in 2014.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm sure there are plenty. But if we discount injuries or retirements and trades(like the 1998 vs 1999 Bulls), the only recent one I can come up with is the 2005 T'Wolves. In 2004, they won 58 games, had the #1 seed in the West, the MVP of the league in Garnett, and reached the WCF before falling in 6 to the Lakers who had Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton(who themselves lost in the Finals in 5 to Detroit).

A year later, they won 44 games and finished in 9th, missing the postseason. As far as I can recall, most of that team was the same as the year before. But they did have chemistry issues going into the season with Sprewell uttering his infamous remark about having a family to feed when he was offered "only" a 3-year, $21 million extension. And here's an even eerier parallel to the 2015-16 Rockets. Halfway through the 2004-05 season, the T'Wolves fired their head coach, the late Flip Saunders. He was replaced by.....you guessed it, then-GM Kevin McHale.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Wow, why didn't the rest of us think of "wanting something better"? You guys are so smart. Start a 685-page "We want something better" thread, genius.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm..except you actually didn't think of wanting anything better, you spent the entirety of this thread promoting Kevin McHale.

Thanks again though for realizing our intelligence on the matter. I'll humbly say though that it didn't take much more than common sense to realize that McHale wasn't a championship caliber coach.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I got an idea for the Rockets: "I want them to be better!"

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did someone say better?

BETTER IS HARD WORK
    BETTER IS ONE MORE, TWO MORE, TEN MORE
    BETTER IS UP EARLY
    BETTER COMES FROM THE BEST; HIM & HER
    THERE'S ONLY ONE PLACE I GO....TO GET BETTER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p1Gs3vT1vA

:grin:

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

This is true, but that's on the players. This is something we are seeing all over the league. Star players want to do the playing, the coaching, and the hiring and firing.

10. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

The season was finished when we fired McFail but it HAD to happen. Thing is nobody expected BJ to be THIS. BAD. along with our suck *** F/O they are causing problems aswell they need to GTFO. Morey also needs to **** off for leading the entire organization to this toxic state.

The entirety of the Rockets just screams cancer Leslie needs to fix it and fire !!!EVERYONE!!!

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm duh, you keep saying that as if you were for McHale being fired.

Many of us wanted a BETTER coach. You did not. In order to get said BETTER coach we would have to fire McHale. As such, when he was fired many of us were happy.

You are creating some false argument here. Every debate on here is on the premise that Poster A thinks move X makes the team better than Poster B.

You thought keeping McHale was the right thing to do.
    I and MANY others (like most of the board) thought this team would do nothing with McHale.

You are taking the position of "We all want the team to be better, DUH!" when nothing could be more obvious. The difference is you apparently think that keeping McHale would be best for this team moving forward and past this season. I did not.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I know, you were willing to tank this season of Harden/Howard for the sake of the FUTURE, when the real Rockets team is assembled.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I think after those 11 games many of us realized we weren't beating the warriors. Rockets FO certainly believed that...Some of us want the team to win championships and McHale wasn't going to do that. Once you realize that he's not in the future then moving on from him sooner rather than later makes a ton of sense. Especially when there were rumblings that he lost the team, the move had to be made then.

The season was already forfeit.

Also I'm not sure how much more time any one needed to see that Harden/Howard were not much of a duo.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Does anyone still have that picture where it was McHale with a clipboard drawing up a play and it was just a beard with like 5 zig zag's to the rim?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that ought to be a sticky

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How dare McHale ask Harden to do things he doesn't want to do?

;)

DD

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I always hated this thread. It would get bumped after every single loss, as though we would have been undefeated if it weren't for McHale. But I mostly hated this thread because it caused me to occasionally defend McHale, a bad coach that I also wanted fired, because so many of the criticisms were so stupid.

But I agree. I was to see that drawn-up Beard play again. It's been a while.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this thread is nearly 700 pages with 1.3 million views. this is one of the greatest threads in Clutchfans history.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

And Mchale is STILL an idiot.